No more DFEE?? (1 Viewer)

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
shane23q06 said:
id be happy to see DFEE at universities to be woven out.
it sucks. some people work so hard during year 12 to get the marks they need to get into uni, then you get these rich fools who bludge and pay their way in.

At uni i almost feel like ive been ripped off.....theres so many idiots in my course who just shouldn't be there, but are. It's not fair.

You could say im having a good little whine, and I am. No doubt about it. Id bee happy to see the DFEE option weaved out of the system.

If Kevin Rudd gets rid of DFEE, I dont care how ridiculous some of his party already are, George Bush's little puppet will gain my vote. Sorry Mr. Nelson!
are you 100% those 'idiot' are DFEE?

as i have mentioned before uni isnt totally based on academic merit

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Do you not understand that even DFEE has cutoffs? Sydney and UNSW have full fee law cutoffs of around 98. That's hardly a walk in the park.

Arithela

HSC
actually, full fee law at unsw is around 94. still, its hardly a walk in the park

lol what am i saying? i thought your comment was alluded to law cut offs

EDIT 2: yes i was right

Last edited:

jackmurray1989

Mr Mature
HSC
Arithela said:
actually, full fee law at unsw is around 94. still, its hardly a walk in the park

lol what am i saying? i thought your comment was alluded to law cut offs

EDIT 2: yes i was right

Good point.

And well made.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
what the part about that its hardly a walk in the park? ahahahahahahahaha

shane23q06

HSC
not all perceived idiots in my course are DFEE paying students, but i have come across several students who are DFEE paying entrants and piss me off so much....how so? turning up to tutes drunk then being a loud mouth for the whole lesson, for example.

yeah im aware that there are DFEE cut-off's, but even though it is in place, they aren't as high as the required UAI cut-off's so personally im against the DFEE option.

But hey, at the end of the day, universities are after money - nothing else.

It'll be good to see what happens.

Yeah melanie i understand its not all on academic merit, but for many year 12 students, playing sports on weekends and raising 1 million dollars for charity won't be a part of their final UAI mark.

this is all jsut my opinion. i dont intend to offend anyone. i just need to let off a bit of steam after seeing some annoying events at uni so far...

Cheers,

Shane

Last edited:

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
shane23q06 said:
not all perceived idiots in my course are DFEE paying students, but i have come across several students who are DFEE paying entrants and piss me off so much....how so? turning up to tutes drunk then being a loud mouth for the whole lesson, for example.

so you have asked them and they have told you that they are DFEE students?

yeah im aware that there are DFEE cut-off's, but even though it is in place, they aren't as high as the required UAI cut-off's so personally im against the DFEE option.
and you are against DFEE because it does not the same cut off as CSP? well duh thats the whole point of DFEE in exchange for a higher fee...

But hey, at the end of the day, universities are after money - nothing else.
public unis are not for profit? they are there to educate people not so much the money, they need the money however to allow the students access to the best lectures, resources etc. as possible

Yeah melanie i understand its not all on academic merit, but for many year 12 students, playing sports on weekends and raising 1 million dollars for charity won't be a part of their final UAI mark.
and your point being :confused:

this is all jsut my opinion. i dont intend to offend anyone. i just need to let off a bit of steam after seeing some annoying events at uni so far...

Cheers,

Shane
i know some uni students who get drunk, do stupid things to but they are not DFEE students.

people do annoying things. it has little to do with whether or not they are DFEE students. i dont think that there is a strong connection between the two

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
shane23q06 said:
It'll be good to see what happens.
What happens is the goverment will realise they cannot sustain a long term financial committment to universities in meeting fee shortfalls, and will either reintroduce DFEE places or raise taxes for everyone.

shane23q06

HSC
Hey Melanie,

1. yep. usually the conversation goes "i went shit in my hsc..." "you can't have gone that bad..." "i got ##.##......but because of access points i made the DFEE cut-off ... so i paid my way in" "thats cool..."

2. i personally beleive that people who do not get the CSP cut-off shouldn't get into that course. DFEE creates an inequality between those who are able to get the DFEE cut-off and PAY, and those who get the cut-off but are unable to afford the DFEE option. This isn't to rule out those people who receive access points to acheive that CSP cut-off mark.

3. cut the crap..'they are there to educate people.' one of my uni lecturers said in our first lesson "come if you want, dont come if you dont want to....the uni is still making money...im still getting paid." and then first accounting lecture it rains, and guess what? there's holes in the roof. doesn't seem like the money is going to prociding the 'best resources.'

4. well yeah you got me there. touche.

5. im not trying to develop a r/ship between DFEE paying students and acting like a hooligan. im just a little annoyed by those DFEE students who do 'act out of line' so to speak. I mean, if i was a DFEE student I'd try and go that extra mile to prove that i deserve to be in that course, not just because daddy's a big time lawyer and can afford to pay uni fee's with chump change. I wouldn't come to uni and party during every lecture.

again, not intending to offend any DFEE students - just trying to have my point understood. maybe if i was a DFEE student i most likely would have a different view...any DFEE students here that can contribute their experience?

Last edited:

BackCountrySnow

HSC
shane23q06 said:
If Kevin Rudd gets rid of DFEE, I dont care how ridiculous some of his party already are, George Bush's little puppet will gain my vote. Sorry Mr. Nelson!
By George Bush's little puppet do you mean kevin rudd??
Lol, because if anything Kevin Rudd's loosening our ties with the USA. Howard was Bush's puppet.

Back on track though, Romoving DFEE is just a proposal?? or is it certainly going to happen??

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
shane23q06 said:
Hey Melanie,

1. yep. usually the conversation goes "i went shit in my hsc..." "you can't have gone that bad..." "i got ##.##......but because of access points i made the DFEE cut-off ... so i paid my way in" "thats cool..."
that is exactly my point... one of the reasons why your friend or whoever he was got in was because of access... not saying that he didnt deserve it but im saying the system isn't really fair even if we take out DFEE...

2. i personally beleive that people who do not get the CSP cut-off shouldn't get into that course. DFEE creates an inequality between those who are able to get the DFEE cut-off and PAY, and those who get the cut-off but are unable to afford the DFEE option. This isn't to rule out those people who receive access points to acheive that CSP cut-off mark.
have you read the thread... there is such thing as FEE-HELP, a government substudy to allow all people to gain access to DFEE options

3. cut the crap..'they are there to educate people.' one of my uni lecturers said in our first lesson "come if you want, dont come if you dont want to....the uni is still making money...im still getting paid."
the uni's purpose is too educate it is up to you if you want to be educated

and then first accounting lecture it rains, and guess what? there's holes in the roof. doesn't seem like the money is going to prociding the 'best resources.'
and you think the situation will get better by taking out DFEE?

4. well yeah you got me there. touche.
if that was sacarsm i was being serious... i didn't get the point that you were making...

5. im not trying to develop a r/ship between DFEE paying students and acting like a hooligan. im just a little annoyed by those DFEE students who do 'act out of line' so to speak. I mean, if i was a DFEE student I'd try and go that extra mile to prove that i deserve to be in that course, not just because daddy's a big time lawyer and can afford to pay uni fee's with chump change. I wouldn't come to uni and party during every lecture.
fair enough... but not everyone is like you...

shane23q06

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
By George Bush's little puppet do you mean kevin rudd??
Lol, because if anything Kevin Rudd's loosening our ties with the USA. Howard was Bush's puppet.

Back on track though, Romoving DFEE is just a proposal?? or is it certainly going to happen??
haha with that salute not long ago the media didn't help him 'loosening ties with america' image. but yah understand where ya comin from. point taken.

hmm not sure....i read the title of the topic...then the first post....then felt like posting something....which turned into far more than what i expected. what do you reckon about DFEE ?

shane23q06

HSC
melanieeeee. said:
that is exactly my point... one of the reasons why your friend or whoever he was got in was because of access... not saying that he didnt deserve it but im saying the system isn't really fair even if we take out DFEE...
The only circumstance where I'd be FOR DFEE paying students is if Uni's need to fill up seats. If the DFEE system were to be diminished, the CSP Cut-off's would probably decrease to cater for the change (and thus those seats would be taken up)...with this system i wouldnt have a problem with uni's....EVERYONE in the state sitting their hsc exams aiming to get into any particular course will have ONE target UAI/score. What do you think?

have you read the thread... there is such thing as FEE-HELP, a government substudy to allow all people to gain access to DFEE options
nope didnt read the whole thread...just saw the topic and first post and started spilling out words onto the screen =] my bad

the uni's purpose is too educate it is up to you if you want to be educated
yeah every insitution will say they are there for fulfilling their primary purpose. In most cases, its not the case. At my uni theres a certain period where you can change courses or subjects....but if you're late you get billed for the subjects you have enrolled in...the uni wouldn't un-do it for you - theyve made their money; happy days! If my uni was there to solely educate students, they wouldnt have such shit policies like this one. probably not the best one to prove my point, but its all i can think of at the moment.

the only thing that uni is cool for...is cheap parking!! woot. that uni's other purpose.....'to provide cheap parking to students.' :)

and you think the situation will get better by taking out DFEE?
Im not sure, but im guessing the uni would make enough money through increased numbers of CSP students to help maintain uni's.

if that was sacarsm i was being serious... i didn't get the point that you were making...
no really. you got me there. i have no idea what was going on either when i read over it again lol. =/

fair enough... but not everyone is like you...
cool. lol yeah. again, only my opinion on the issue. i respect your opinion, and im happy that you're returning the gesture.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
shane23q06 said:
The only circumstance where I'd be FOR DFEE paying students is if Uni's need to fill up seats.
Fair enough

If the DFEE system were to be diminished, the CSP Cut-off's would probably decrease to cater for the change (and thus those seats would be taken up)...
How does the decrease in UAI have got to do with DFEE being right or wrong?

with this system i wouldnt have a problem with uni's....EVERYONE in the state sitting their hsc exams aiming to get into any particular course will have ONE target UAI/score. What do you think?
but its not one uai score if access is still in place anyway so back to my point that university entry will never be fully fair

yeah every insitution will say they are there for fulfilling their primary purpose. In most cases, its not the case. At my uni theres a certain period where you can change courses or subjects....but if you're late you get billed for the subjects you have enrolled in...the uni wouldn't un-do it for you - theyve made their money; happy days! If my uni was there to solely educate students, they wouldnt have such shit policies like this one. probably not the best one to prove my point, but its all i can think of at the moment.

the only thing that uni is cool for...is cheap parking!! woot. that uni's other purpose.....'to provide cheap parking to students.' :)
ummm its like that for every uni if you change your subjects past the census date, which was a system created by the government

Im not sure, but im guessing the uni would make enough money through increased numbers of CSP students to help maintain uni's.
DFEE fees are approx. 3-4 times more expensive than CSP so CSP's would need to increase 3-4 times for them to recieve the same revenue (not including of course the government intervention thing which imo won't last unless they raise taxes or something)

no really. you got me there. i have no idea what was going on either when i read over it again lol. =/
:p

Gay Captain

HSC
melanie said:
DFEE fees are approx. 3-4 times more expensive than CSP so CSP's would need to increase 3-4 times for them to recieve the same revenue (not including of course the government intervention thing which imo won't last unless they raise taxes or something)
it's that fucking simple you delusional UNI SHUD BE FREE flower children

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Hint: You're probably more likely to do this when you're not funding your own course.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
jackmurray1989 said:
Depends whether you beleive university placement should be based on merit or if you're a cynical YL with a rich dad from the Eastern Suburbs.
How about we say subsidies should be provided on merit, but forbidding the provision of a good to certain people who are 100% prepared to pay for it (imagine if we restricted the purchase of sporting equipment to those who were talented at it, for example) is retarded.

Love,
Cynical YL who lives with his poor mother in the Western suburbs.

EDIT: We have the AIS. It gives good training to our best and brightest sports stars for minimal cost to those stars themselves.

But people can also pay for such training if they're not good enough to get into the AIS. This is a non-retarded way of doing things.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)