Non Uws people in UWS forum (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LaraB

ok...im sorry but im gonna have a whinge...

by non uws people i dont mean those of you who are really nice and offer valid, interesting comments/observations about your own uni compared to uws or things like that... i mean the people who come into a uws forum and then criticse uws students for being ignorant, know nothing about our uni, 'always contradicting ourselves', being too-pro uws, saying uws has bad points etc etc etc

Im not gonna name names, but i think its pretty obvious from the posts which people im referring to - ie those that myself and other students, be they uws or not, have told to just shut up because they're being offensive and wrong, but yet continue going on and on and on about their so called "argument"

unless you are an ex student at uws perhaps or something like that, it is impossible for you to have a valid criticism/comment as to the uws experience as you haven't been here!

i dont know what the other uni's are like, but i doubt everyone there loves the uni so i find it absolutely ridiculous that non uws students come into the forum saying "haha ur uni must be even more shit coz your own students say bad stuff" or "ur just pissed of coz u didnt get into unsw or usyd or uts etc"

just because we say tehre are bad points doesnt mean we dont love the uni! i mean - i have major problems with admin because they almost lost me my scholarships thru their f*uck ups at enrolment time, but its fixed and im at the uni and everything else about the uni is cool.

i think the fact that we can criticise is good because our uni does value our thoughts and criticisms DO get considered - eg my Torts law class, last year they complained about the structure and the amount of readings to do each week, so this year, the structure is different and the timing of assignments and readings was shifted.

I'd rather this than a totally one eyed view of "hooray for everything", because come final year exam times, you cant do anything about it then....

And not everyone is at uws coz we couldnt get in somewhere else - i put UWS for my 1st 6 preferences thru UAC - i didnt put down any other uni, even though i am doing law which you're "expected" to want to go to usyd or unsw for. And no it wasnt because i didnt have enough marks because i did have enough for other unis.

I personally dont appreciate the inference that we're all dumb and only used uws as we were too stupid for anywhere else... geez, come sit in on a lecture/seminar and listen to the comments and arguments raised...we're not idiots.... surprisingly enough, we do have our own choices and chose the uni for our own reasons. Sure there are probably a number of people who are here coz they didnt make their top choice, just like any uni!

Seriously, if you're only in here to criticise people who clearly know more about the uni than you do, just leave.

All you're doing is giving us more junk to filter thru when we're trying to constructively answer someone's questions... Its particularly annoying when other students start arguments telling us we're wrongs about stuff that we are clearly right about and being non uws students they wouldnt have a damn idea!

So i dunno bout everyone else, like, i personally dont care if people from other unis are on the forum, but only if you're not making ignorant abusive comments back at us.....

i stongly suggest that those of you in here just to criticise and put down our uni go join your own uni's forum and put your time to better use.
Better still, if you're still so convinced uws is so crap and you therefore have a responsibility to tell uws people its shit and warn off others, why dont you come and spend a day at a campus? or have a look at teh web site? or read some of the pamphlets and media releases?

in other words - shut up until you have some facts to go on!!! and stop disrupting decent conversations with immature ignorant abuse!

Im sure that some people will bitch back, so feel free, but being a UWS STUDENT FORUM i do not see how you could refute what i have said as its not just me with these thoughts, i can guarantee it....

Last edited by a moderator:

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Well said, agree completely. Reps for you :)

I do respect everyones opinion here, but saying that UWS is a bad uni for whatever the reason is unexceptable and particulary when you do not know all the facts - I can't tolerate it.

Like LaraB said criticism helps a uni grow. But only useful criticism does, not the "uws is a crap uni cause of whatever" but more of the internal criticism.

LaraB feel free to whinge whenever you want to :)

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Cape said:
Well said, agree completely. Reps for you :)

I do respect everyones opinion here, but saying that UWS is a bad uni for whatever the reason is unexceptable and particulary when you do not know all the facts - I can't tolerate it.

Like LaraB said criticism helps a uni grow. But only useful criticism does, not the "uws is a crap uni cause of whatever" but more of the internal criticism.

LaraB feel free to whinge whenever you want to :)
Ppl saying that "UWS is a crap uni for (input reason)" is useful criticism, it sates the problem and then as it is identified it can be fixed, ppl just saying UWS is shit without reasons, is a problem

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
LaraB said:
i think the fact that we can criticise is good because our uni does value our thoughts and criticisms DO get considered - eg my Torts law class, last year they complained about the structure and the amount of readings to do each week, so this year, the structure is different and the timing of assignments and readings was shifted.

I'd rather this than a totally one eyed view of "hooray for everything", because come final year exam times, you cant do anything about it then....
I absolutely agree. :) Hell, if you used mIRC in the channel, you'd know how much I criticise my uni. :)

Though, let's redirect this into a previous thread, shall we?

shane86 said:
uws is a shit uni my lecturers are constantly reminding us how the uni is in a financial crisis. my biology tutorial has over 400 ppl in it. my anatomy pracs have been slashed from 11 to 9 to now 7. which means The Unit objectives now cannot be met which means i cant undertake anatomy units later in my degree and · It may not fulfil credit transfer requirements if i want to move to another university. my biology practicals have also been slashed in half to once a fortnight
Which was responded with:
natstar said:
It suprises me how pisses off people get, at the most insignificant things.
Also, who could forget this:
Cape said:
Stop complaining, and just make the best out of a bad situation - teach yourself the work, ask your lecturers for help, read textbooks as well as external textbooks - you might even get higher marks this way.
With the addition of the following into this line of thought:
natstar said:
i kno..so childish
Also, being told that criticising the uni is folly and the government exclusively to blame should be considered:
Cape said:
Yes it quite childish. Do you really think that your the only people effected by the cost - cutting. Don't blame the university .... like I've said before, blame the government.
Funny, not everyone thinks the same. :)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
lol. Thanks Poloktim :p - initially the arguement started off internally, until people ... not going to mention any names - from different unis came in and turned the whole thing into a "hate uws" thread.

Korn - at the end of semester, you will be required to fill in a survey for every subject that you do. This survey will have questions on how you think the subject can be improved. Please take the survey's seriously, as they will help future students.

raigaa

HSC
what uws needs is more int students
here' s the deal

give us all your chicks from commerce/arts
and well trade you 50 asian fobs for every 100 chicks

then uws will be as rich as unsw in no time

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
UWS needs to raise its HECS fees if the services it is providing are inadequate. The end.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
raigaa said:
what uws needs is more int students
here' s the deal

give us all your chicks from commerce/arts
and well trade you 50 asian fobs for every 100 chicks

then uws will be as rich as unsw in no time
Thats not fair, how bout we get 100 for every 50 we give you

raigaa

HSC
ok wait

screw the 50 for 100
just swap every full fee paying fob from unsw and usyd to uws

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
omg! The university DOES NOT want to become rich - it's mission statement is to provide teritary education to anyone who wants it, which is why it has been trying to reduce costs.

As for the international students, you will be surprised how many international students there are at UWS. Last year alone, there was 10 in my course (and my course only has 50 people in it). I can't remember the exact figures, but there were heaps of international students. Natstar might know though, I remember reading something she posted about international students somewhere.

raigaa

HSC
ok this year we have about 50000 in my course

i win?

and ofcourse it wants to become rich

Raven

i like to ask questions
HSC
N/A
yep, i hate that too...."UWS is shit", "its in the middle of nowhere", "UNSW,UTS, USYD is better".

UWS is just as good as other unis. I dont believe that bullshit that just because the student went to UNSW, he/she will have better chances of getting a job than UWS student.

Im happy with UWS(sure law seminars have 60 ppl which makes its it hard for lecturer but out of those 60 ppl there are no assholes so far)

fuck USYD, fuck UNSW, fuck UTS

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Raven said:
yep, i hate that too...."UWS is shit", "its in the middle of nowhere", "UNSW,UTS, USYD is better".

UWS is just as good as other unis. I dont believe that bullshit that just because the student went to UNSW, he/she will have better chances of getting a job than UWS student.

Im happy with UWS(sure law seminars have 60 ppl which makes its it hard for lecturer but out of those 60 ppl there are no assholes so far)

So you hate when people say UWS is shit so to combat that you go and say fuck (insert uni)?

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Raven said:
Thats just as bad as people saying they hate uws. Your falling down to their level. So please don't say things like that.

klh

HSC
how did uws get this reputation....although many endless debates over its location, the people that attend it and its facilities, my tutor has actually told us the story of uws and probably how most of this began.
Uws as most of you who read the uws intro was formed from 3 technical colleges/unis to become uws but had different divisions i.e. uws nepean [pen, par], uws hawkesbury[haw, bla] and uws macarthur[ban, cam]. however the three divisions were autonomy, that is they managed themselves, there was no central body. Every year there would be a meeting to set an agenda etc. ofcourse this became a traditional bloodbath of political infighting etc, the power was held by uws nepean and the others had no say. then uws hawkesbury and macarthur allied together to figth uws nepeans power. i remeber the tutor saying that everyone hated each others guts and if an opportunity would arise, would "run them down". thus there was alot of wasting of resources, no sharing of funds [ofcourse] etc. so one of the reasons why poeple started to diss uws was becasue it couldnt provide their services efficinetly or good. their libraries were out of date, not enough funds to have classess and were very poor.
however, the introduction of a centralised organisation structure to coordinate funds etc has brought uws into a new light. look at how fresh it feels now [evident from their brochures] the system has nil of politics compared to before.
so kids the moral is that thigns in the past have carried on till this day, with these perceptions of inadequacy and crap that they say is uws. however, you have to know that the past is not a true indicator of the future. uws has reformed its organisation and its agenda has been to focus more on education, streamliniing it to become efficient to bring education "to life" in their words. so, dissing us over how crappy our uni is is irrelevant since those views were form its former life.

anyway, sorry for that long rant. btw i fully support this idea of "criticise uws-fuck off" policy. but these threads are a really good way to improve your english skills and grammer. lol :D

raigaa

HSC
Raven said:

Well this is how we gon' do this:
fuck unsw,
fuck usyd,
fuck uts as a staff, record label, and as a mother fuckin uni.
And if you want to be down with unsw usyd or uts,
Then fuck you too.
Chino XL, fuck you too.
All you mother fuckers,
fuck you too.
All of y'all mother fuckers,
fuck you, die slow mother fucker.
My Bachelors degree will make sure all yo' kids don't grow.
You mother fuckers can't be us or see us.
We mother fuckin' prestige uni riders.
West Side till' we die.

sup home boy

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Thanks Klh for that info, didn't know about that, it was an interesting read :p lol ... ganging up against neapan ... lol.

klh

HSC
no worries..i didnt know about this until thursday last week. it was a real nice "red herring" to what i was learning...plus i like history.
we were learning about political/power plays and he was the director for SGSM and before that somethinig on one of those boards so he gave us examples. its cool seeing theories in practice.
yeah, ganging up on us huh!!!! so uws is segmented as well...alot of competition between each other. at kingswood, there are trophies of how nepean one at sports over the other campuses, note i called you guys other lol :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)