• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

NRL Thread (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boo_

HSC
Schoolies_2004 said:
Bout dragons, mayb my comments were harsh, but I dont rate them a a premiership favourite, they choke in even the best of seasons let alone one where they are struggling
premiership favourites, y i would like them to be, the added pressure would make them bottom of the table...and yeah, they always seem to screw something up...damn inconsistency, but the thing is, if within the next few yrs, the actually fix their inconsistency problem, they would be one of the best teams, second only to brisbane

Jiga

second only to brisbane
And Cronulla :rolleyes:

They could come good, but they could also have a season ending loss to! I hope they make the finals series at #8, and sharks at #1, wouldnt that make for a local derby at shark park!?!?!?!?

Boo_

HSC
Schoolies_2004 said:
And Cronulla :rolleyes:

They could come good, but they could also have a season ending loss to! I hope they make the finals series at #8, and sharks at #1, wouldnt that make for a local derby at shark park!?!?!?!?
lol, but the thing is, sharkes have no chance of holding onto 1st

Suney_J

Not a member
HSC
Schoolies_2004 said:
You are correct, game time does matter. But Gallen also has it over Matua in every other area, less miss tackles even though hes on the field LONGER, less errors, and crucially -> Way more offloads, in fact, he is second only to fitzgibbon in this area. Also, in the modern game, a second rower like Gallen is preferred, a player who can last the full 80. I personally think he would have been good coming off the bench!
Are you making up these stats? I think you are
Maitua has averaged less errors so far this year and the WHOLE of last year
Maitua has averaged less missed tackles for the WHOLE of last year, but not this year, (keeping in mind he just came back from injury only played 3 games and lost 7 kg)

Since Maitua is a utility forward, he can be switched around in the forward pack and offer more flexibility coming off the bench

and Fitzgibbon isnt the best offloader, Sonny Bill is

source : http://www.nrl.com

Suney_J

Not a member
HSC
Crocker to return in Premier League

Crocker to return in Premier League

11 May 2005

A last minute State of Origin rugby league trial has been lined up for Queensland backrower Michael Crocker - in Premier League.

Sydney Roosters have "requested consideration" from the NRL that Crocker be allowed to play Premier League against New Zealand Warriors on Sunday despite having another week's ban to serve.

Roosters CEO Brian Canavan said technically Crocker's two-game ban for a high tackle would end after their NRL clash against the Warriors at Auckland.

Due to TV commitments, the NRL match kicks off at 12pm Auckland time with the Premier League match played afterwards.

Canavan said technically Crocker could play in the Premier League clash in a last ditch effort to be named in the Queensland Origin side to be unveiled on Monday.

The Roosters are desperate to give Crocker a run after injury and suspension combined to restrict the fiery backrower dubbed the "Cranky Calf" to just three NRL games in 2005.

"The main reason is that he has played very little football - I think he didn't play his first game since round seven," Canavan said.

"We just wanted to give him game time and if that coincidentally helps his Origin chances all well and good."

Canavan said he believed a precedent had been set by Parramatta "a couple of years ago".

"There are precedents set. If it's granted all well and good and Michael Crocker can play Premier League after our first grade game against the Warriors," he said.

"We have respectively requested consideration from the NRL (over Crocker) but we haven't had it confirmed in writing yet.

"The rules state that Michael Crocker has to serve his suspension in the grade in which he was suspended which is NRL.

An NRL official tonight confirmed that "Crocker's suspension ends when they play first grade".

"The indications are that it is likely to happen - it is one of those quirks of fate."

padutz

HSC
Eagles!!! although i think brisbane will take it out, i thnk manly will be up there

snickerdoodle

year of the dog
HSC
They can't let him play PL! A ban is a ban.

I can't belive Ben Harris walked out on the Bulldogs! I was all like "so Tonga is injured but hey, we have Harris to play centre" but nooooooo. What a little bitch! Things just go from bad to worse around these parts.

Brisbane will probably be minor premiers. But if it's close and they choke after Origin again, then I'd place my money on NthQLD or Canberra.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
harris was such a quality player a few years back i thought he'd be a certainty to start in the dog's centres when vagana and talau left. but after spending more than a whole season withering away in premier league you can't blame him for being a little pissed off

yeah crocker can play because of a loophole in the rules... but i don't really mind either way. i feel he prolly would've been picked (on the bench at least) for qld regardless of playing. and if he doesnt get picked, then he will ensure the roosters still have a solid forward pack through the origins period.

Suney_J

Not a member
HSC
Constip8edSkunk said:
harris was such a quality player a few years back i thought he'd be a certainty to start in the dog's centres when vagana and talau left. but after spending more than a whole season withering away in premier league you can't blame him for being a little pissed off
Harris and Lolesi were actually fighting for centre positions and there injuries kept the window open for both. Harris actually played in the GF along with the final series

Jiga

Sharks will easily remain in the top 4!

Are you making up these stats? I think you are
Maitua has averaged less errors so far this year and the WHOLE of last year
Maitua has averaged less missed tackles for the WHOLE of last year, but not this year, (keeping in mind he just came back from injury only played 3 games and lost 7 kg)

Since Maitua is a utility forward, he can be switched around in the forward pack and offer more flexibility coming off the bench

and Fitzgibbon isnt the best offloader, Sonny Bill is
For starters, Im talking about THIS year, not past years, I want to know his CURRENT form, not i we HAS a great player, such is the basis of selection of rep teams! Last year was a completely different year, the ladder itself indicates this.

On topic....

Gallen mistackles avg per game - 1.2
Maitua mistackles avg per game - 1.7

Now Gallen is on the field for longer, and makes DOUBLE the tackles as Maitua, so shouldnt in theory Maitua have way less misstackles!?!?

Suprisingly Maitua does have less errors, but what do you expect when Gallen plays 80mins a game. Gallen also has utlility value, last year he played as 5/8 for a substantial period but realistically his home is up front due to his size. I would say he does have utility value in general, currently he starts at lock and then moves to the second row in games this year and can move anywhere realistically.

About offloads, go to 'performance stats':

1. Fitzgibbon
2. Webb
3. Gallen

Then you may say 'I Sunny has been out for ages', well bad luck, that still makes Gallen better then him and Maitua because he is fit and playing some of his best football in his career. How Miatua made it over him, I have no idea, no one did, the newspaper read prity much 'Gallen the most unlucky player ever to not get in side', the only player realistically in the city side that could have taken his spot was - crappy Maitua.

The final nail in the cofen, is Maitua was soooo good, then why a the doggies struggling? Meanwhile the sharks are rippin it up, thanks to many players but especially Gallens tireless 80 minute efforts each week.

Last edited by a moderator:

Suney_J

Not a member
HSC
Schoolies_2004 said:
But Gallen also has it over Matua in every other area, less miss tackles even though hes on the field LONGER, less errors,
Schoolies_2004 said:
Suprisingly Maitua does have less errors, but what do you expect when Gallen plays 80mins a game.
lol, I knew you were making stuff up.

Schoolies_2004 said:
About offloads, go to 'performance stats':

1. Fitzgibbon
2. Webb
3. Gallen

Then you may say 'I Sunny has been out for ages', well bad luck, that still makes Gallen better then him and Maitua because he is fit and playing some of his best football in his career.
I prefer to look at average per game, shows you the bigger picture

Schoolies_2004 said:
The final nail in the cofen, is Maitua was soooo good, then why a the doggies struggling? Meanwhile the sharks are rippin it up, thanks to many players but especially Gallens tireless 80 minute efforts each week.
very weak argument there. So do you have to be from a club thats stringing together a few wins to play rep footy?

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
reality check: neither gallen nor maitua will get anywhere near the origin squad, there are better workers than gallen, and there are alot better impact forwards than maitua to pick from.

Suney_J said:
Harris and Lolesi were actually fighting for centre positions and there injuries kept the window open for both. Harris actually played in the GF along with the final series
stand corrected

Random_87

HSC
N/A
I know im a cronulla fan, but Gallen is clearly a better player. It was ridiculous he wasnt in city v country..... i just about cried..... Watmough and Gallen were the 2 new faces i expected to see, and when Gallen wasnt there i couldnt believe it.
And Constip8ted i want to know who the better workers are, out of curiosity....

Jiga

So do you have to be from a club thats stringing together a few wins to play rep footy?
That was the trend in previous years, but now of course the Rorters or Dogs aernt up there.........yet they still are selected in the sides

reality check: neither gallen nor maitua will get anywhere near the origin squad
Maitua yes, Gallen I dunno. It was abslutely ridiculous how he wasnt in the city v country game, he could easily compete in SOO let alone some 'rep' game filled with the left overs from the Australian squad.

Watmough and Gallen were the 2 new faces i expected to see, and when Gallen wasnt there i couldnt believe it.
And Constip8ted i want to know who the better workers are, out of curiosity....
Exactly, I also expected Watmough and Gallen to be selected and Id also like to see those who are better workers - Gallen and Nutley I would say are the sharks biggest and are both up there in the comp. I cant believe Nutley wasnt selected for the Queensland SQUAD, talk about Bennets bias towards Broncos players. Nutley leads the tackle, hit ups and metres gain count virtually every week, and does it with minimal errors, against the warriors he played the entire first half. On top of this, he strikes me as the perfect candidate for origin with his attitude each week, hes passionate! Even more so the perfect replacement for Webcke, both are very similar players.

N e way, awaiting to see the better works............

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Yeah i was dissapointed to not see Nutley in the pre-lim squad. He averages over 40 tackles/hitups per game combined, thats alot of hard work. Paul Gallen does it a fair bit too, and if i remember correctly he even played a bit of 5/8 last year.

*mel*

If it adds to anyone's arguments... I have never ever heard of Gallen before but I have heard of Maitua.

Go Craig Fitzgibbon!!

Jiga

but I have heard of Maitua.
Im sure you have, but more than likely for the wrong reasons - he bashed a cop a year ago and got a slap on the wrist for it, Gallen doesnt do that sought of thing

Hes got ya there Schoolies, if that was true there'd be no way Buderus would be playin origin and probably captaining the squad
There are exceptions like Buderus, but in general, form teams players get in. Look at last year for example, all Panthers-Roosters-Bulldogs. But now those sides aernt up there, theyve chagned the rules and now any player is eligilble.

N e way, its good for the sharks, no injuries / the players cant demand more $$$. In other news for the sharks, Stuart Raper resigned till 2007! Also, Costello in a sharks jersey was seen on the front page today, that was a werid story, newspapers are gettin desperate

Last edited by a moderator:

*mel*

Schoolies_2004 said:
Im sure you have, but more than likely for the wrong reasons - he bashed a cop a year ago and got a slap on the wrist for it, Gallen doesnt do that sought of thing
well there u go... i vote for Gallen! i have no idea what this debate is about but anyone who bashes a cop is a dickhead!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)