• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

NRL Thread (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiga

lol yeh i was wrong. Which players did you think had solid finals experience? Vagana and Kimmorley from the top of my head. I dont think they have enough. How long is Dykes out for? They need him.
And schoolies_04, smash panthers? Was that a bit generous? There were a few moments where the sharks looked like handing the panthers the points. The game ended up 30-18 or something.
On experience, although we lack alittle finals experience, the side has ALOT of NRL expereince, if you were to wrok it out, the Sharks have one of the most expereinced teams in the comp. Along with Vag and Kimmorley, Peachey, Dykes, Mellor, Stevo, Lomu (although his form is orindary and hes been released b4 june 30 I think), Bailey (not finals exp, but played for Aus and NSW so that outweights finals exp), also have finals expereince! Nutley may have some finals experience to, not sure because he played in the ESL for a while. The younger players to have played for Australia as juniors, so this would prepare them alittle for the emotions experienced in finals footy. We have a good mix of young talent and mature players - sought of like the Panthers when they won the comp!

Dykes is out for 2-3 weeks or so reported. I think we will survive without him, Kimmorley will be back next week and Bird played very well at 5/8 against the Panthers. In attack Bird played just as well as Dykes, maybe defensively we will lose abit without Dykes.

As for being generous, maybe alittle, but there were also two stages where we had 2+ tries on them and let them back in, and considering we had a replacement 1/2 in the form of Dykes, who then himself got injured, which meant Sullivan had to step up (they didnt train in the event of Dykes being injured, showed in their 'enterprising' attack), I think thats like a smashing. With Kimmorley, or even Dykes playing the full game we would have embaressed the Panthers yesterday with a cricket scoreline.

My only worry is our defence, there was a period where we were rock solid, it doesnt seem like that yesterday, we had kept teams like Melb and Cowboys to 6 and 12, yet we have given in the last two weeks 20+. Maybe they are trying things, trying to find a balance between the two, Raper has been seen to be experienting for the finals. For example, hes been bringing players on for the first time in the match at like the 60-70th minute, giving the blokes on the field a real run for their money and testing them. Also a nice little thing, we have won all of our last 4 away matches in a row (Perth was awaya realistically), and when considering shark park has gone back the fortress days, its looking good for the sharks.

I think we will make the finals on the current form - yesterday showed that the team is very confident, a win without BK is rare, and then a win without both your halves in ANY team is even more rare, especailly against a side where players are trying to prove SOO selectors wrong, and against a side that desperately needs a win, AND against the Panthers at home (our record their is avg) - thats a major accomplishment!!!! Every player who played yesterday played well, not one person was found wanting, if we stay like that, when we return to full strength with BK and dykes, the team we play that week better watch out! Even without full strength even, sharks are still strong. Its reminicent of the bulldogs in previous years, the depth at the club is good. We have virtually an entire forward pack in premier league that has first grade experience with players like Galloway, Stosic, Dumas, Isemonge etc, and then we have players like Nathan Merritt who are gunning it in PL - he scored 5 tries and got 10 conversions over the weekend, totaly of 40 points. Yet the winger depth (Covell and Simmons) is that good he more than likely wont make first grade this week.
Add to this, sharks are one of the richest teams in the comp currently (along with tigers etc), and well, the future looks bright!

But at the present........Go the Sharks - Premiership 2005 here we come!

Last edited by a moderator:

M | |< E

HSC
I would love to see the Knights beat Brisbane. Im also tipping Souths to do so this weekend and for some reason i'm feeling confident.

The Sharks have been playing great this year and I can see them finishing in the top 3 though I also think that they will be a semi finals fallout.

The Bulldogs will be a threat once they get their full strength side. Despite having severe injuries to a number of key players they been performing very strongly in previous weeks against quality sides. They pushed the Broncos and the Eagles and finally got over the line against the Storm.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
M | |< E said:
I would love to see the Knights beat Brisbane. Im also tipping Souths to do so this weekend and for some reason i'm feeling confident.

The Sharks have been playing great this year and I can see them finishing in the top 3 though I also think that they will be a semi finals fallout.

The Bulldogs will be a threat once they get their full strength side. Despite having severe injuries to a number of key players they been performing very strongly in previous weeks against quality sides. They pushed the Broncos and the Eagles and finally got over the line against the Storm.
I dunno about souths, while they did manage to post 16 points against the warriors they will sorely miss Luke Macdougal who scores over half their tries himself.

Boo_

HSC
damn, only 2 pt win over knights, not to happy with the dragon's, but hey, a wins a win:)

GO THE DRAGONS!!!

Random_87

HSC
N/A
Schoolies_2004 said:
We have virtually an entire forward pack in premier league that has first grade experience with players like Galloway, Stosic, Dumas, Isemonge etc, and then we have players like Nathan Merritt who are gunning it in PL - he scored 5 tries and got 10 conversions over the weekend, totaly of 40 points. Yet the winger depth (Covell and Simmons) is that good he more than likely wont make first grade this week.
Add to this, sharks are one of the richest teams in the comp currently (along with tigers etc), and well, the future looks bright!

But at the present........Go the Sharks - Premiership 2005 here we come!
I think with so many good players (especially forwards) in the premier league, we are going to lose alot of that depth in the next few years. They will all be wanting to play for the top clubs and if they cant get a run for the sharkies i think they will leave. However i rekon if Peach retires this year simmons= full back, Meritt= Wing. I wish Isemonger would get a run instead of Reece Williams... I think Isemonger is better. Last year sam was the only forward who appeared to threaten the line consistently.... but then again i didnt see that many Cronulla games. Ohwell whatever happens im sure well be fine! Go Sharkies!

.... and how long will Peach and Mellor be around?

Also for sharks fans i found this site with some footage of tries.... Its got the awesome Mellor try where he palms that guy.... ohh man that is the best try ever....http://sharks.leagueunlimited.com/glory.php

Jiga

I think with so many good players (especially forwards) in the premier league, we are going to lose alot of that depth in the next few years. They will all be wanting to play for the top clubs and if they cant get a run for the sharkies i think they will leave. However i rekon if Peach retires this year simmons= full back, Meritt= Wing. I wish Isemonger would get a run instead of Reece Williams... I think Isemonger is better. Last year sam was the only forward who appeared to threaten the line consistently.... but then again i didnt see that many Cronulla games. Ohwell whatever happens im sure well be fine! Go Sharkies!

.... and how long will Peach and Mellor be around?
I think Williams is going well in 1sts currently, Isemonger is/was good in attack, but his defence isnt very good, and you are only as strong as your weakest link!

We are set for next year, although I wish Peach would conintue playing (as he is an asset in attack setting up and scoring tries, great under the high ball and good in defence) I think he will be let go, and the fact that Merritt is going so well may have seeled his fate. As for Mellor, I think he still has some years in him. The worst thing for us, although he will be repalced with another good prop such as Luke Bailey, is Stevo finsihing up, he has been in great form recently, what about that pass in the Penrith game, theres been glimpses of Stevo as a back recently! All in all, even with the loss of our players in PL, we are looking ok as we are cashed up (or so the newspaper says). We were in a re-building phase in the last years, pro-longed by that Ando saga, but now we are going well and should for some years to come!

*mel*

Hey guys! Can you believe that State of Origin is on tomorrow?? I'm so excited. I reckon State of Origin days should be public holidays...

Random_87

HSC
N/A
**MeL**88 said:
Hey guys! Can you believe that State of Origin is on tomorrow?? I'm so excited. I reckon State of Origin days should be public holidays...
I think state of origin weeks should be public holidays. Go Blues

Boo_

HSC
4 things wrong with origin...

1) ty williams shouldn't of scored ---> slater knocked on, his thumb bent back a bit when it hit the ball
3) webb should of been sent off after 2nd offence on bailey
2) rooney's try when he was ruled to be held up of been awarded (benefit of the doubt rule: attacking team) if the ty williams try was awarded
3) kimmorley cant kick!!!

oh, well, lol, it was a good game, good on NSW for their comback, and go QLD, they were the better team from the start. and special applause to bowen, good intercept to win the match

and another thing, golden point should not be used on rep games, i was saying it last yr after NSW won, and i'll say it again this year, rep games don't need golden point

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
No golden point, hmm what if it ends up 1 - 1 after a best of 3 series. Does whoever won last year win the state of origin? Play an extra game that INCLUDES golden point? I dunno, i think golden point has its positive by forcing a result.

Jiga

3) kimmorley cant kick!!!
I disagree, Id say

3) Dragons proprs are shyte

The only reason why Kimmorley struggled especially early on was because he was forced to kick in his own 20 due to lack of go forward, as a result more pressure was placed on him then should have been!

N e way, who cares, the origin is over, now to whats important, the sharks continuing their winning ways with a big match against Parra!!!!

mizz_smee

has a fetish 4 handcuffs
HSC
cowboys won :D
so happy... only person who tipped them...
and i was told i was crazy and should change
kiss my ass now ppl!

Boo_

HSC
copious said:
No golden point, hmm what if it ends up 1 - 1 after a best of 3 series. Does whoever won last year win the state of origin? Play an extra game that INCLUDES golden point? I dunno, i think golden point has its positive by forcing a result.
if the series is 1 - 1, then they can go on f/a. and anyway, the origin trophy was awarded when series were drawn b4 golden point introduced

*mel*

mizz_smee said:
kiss my ass now ppl!
congrats! i tipped em too on optusnet. we rule!

aaaman

Banned
HSC
mizz_smee said:
kiss my ass now ppl!
did da bulldogs got da neck on matt bowen n twist oh lets say 360 deg, i hope he dies....also da ref 2.

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
Schoolies_2004 said:
The only reason why Kimmorley struggled especially early on was because he was forced to kick in his own 20 due to lack of go forward, as a result more pressure was placed on him then should have been!
Mate, watch the first 10 minutes of the match again. You will see this:
1) Kimmorley's first kick was from 43 metres from Qld's line and he put it dead. Crappy start.
2) Kimmorley's second kick from about 39 metres out from NSW's line (certainly more than respectable in terms of kicking position) is a chip kick. In the third minute of SOO I. Deadset stupid. NSW were under pressure from this moment.
3) Kimmorley's third kick, in the fourth minute, is from 26 metres out from his own line. The previous tackles were hitups from the backline, one from Ryles, and one from Kennedy. He got his kick charged down by Steve Price due to his inability to position himself 10 metres to the right of the ruck. He was at fault for where he decided to stand.
4) Kimmorley's fourth kick, from 37 metres out (where 40/20s are very common), hits Slater on the full. Qld start their set 40 metres out from their own line.
5) His fifth kick, in the tenth minute, is a bomb. Under no pressure, he puts up a load of rubbish, which Slater catches on the full in the in-goal. He is then penalised for being offside at the 20 metre restart.

Also, watch the first 12 or 13 minutes again. Bailey and Ryles were rarely dominated. It only got bad due to the mountain of defence the NSW forwards had to make in response to the possession QLD had due to Kimmorley's bad kicks.

But as you said, who cares now, because we can't change the result of SOOI now.

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
Schoolies_2004 said:
N e way, who cares, the origin is over, now to whats important, the sharks continuing their winning ways with a big match against Parra!!!!
Hahahaa you wish, eels won 34-26 wooo go parra!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)