Opeth fans? (1 Viewer)

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
I like Opeth, although I havent heard much of their music, nor can I find it anywhere.

w1ck3d_c10wn

HSC
try looking on soulseek. they are fairly popular - well enough so to tour here! and their cd's are in most music shops, except for sanity

televators

HSC
Opeth can still be termed as a 'death metal' act- hell, Mike even said it on the dvd himself...Orchid and Morningrise are death albums, despite the occasional acoustic passages that are quite beautiful- however, their last effort, 'Damnation' is prog rock, acoustic rock even-

Personally, my favourite album is 'Still Life'...beautiful orchestry between sheer brutality and melodic beauty- 'Moonlapse Vertigo' will always give me chills/ goosebumps...complex guitar work as well, 'The Moor' for example

Great to see fellow Bos'ers getting into some decent music for once...im also into Katatonia, Emperor, Arch Enemy, Labyrinth, Dream Theater, Stratovarius, Rhapsody, Dark Tranquility, etc

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Yeah ive heard some of their stuff cause some of my mates like em and its alright, but not my personal fav, style

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Yo can anyone tell me what the diff is between diff metal types, cause im yet to meet someone who can

Ellie-Bee

HSC
flipsyde said:
I like Opeth, although I havent heard much of their music, nor can I find it anywhere.

utopia record store in george st, under the movies, should have some!

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Ellie-Bee said:
utopia record store in george st, under the movies, should have some!
Yeah they have like everything u cant get elsewhere

televators

HSC
some styles of Metal (brief, brief overview...)

1.80's Power Metal- (falsetto vocals, dual harmonized guitars, pop sensibilities, etc...)

Include acts ranging from Iron Maiden, Motley Crue, early early Pantera, Extreme, Racer-X,etc

2.Thrash Metal- (fast tempo, emphasis on dissonance, technically proficient soloing, however generally lacking direction, very 'tinny' sound)

Include acts such as Slayer, Anhtrax, Megadeth, Exodus, early Kill Em All era Metallica, Motorhead, Judas Priest, 90's Pantera

3.Death Metal- generally popular throughout scandinavian countries, particularly Sweden- emphasis on songs about death and gloom, depressing lyrics...however, not directly to anti-christian/religious activity...more emphasis made on musicality in comparsion to thrash...

Include artists such as- At The Gates, Dark Tranquility, Death (only barely), Opeth, Arch Enemy (although they do borderline thrash)

4. Black Metal- Also popular within the scandinavian countries, however a use or keyboard, higher screeched vocals and direct links to anti religious sentiments inherent in their lyrics..include artist such as Emperor, Satryicon- particularly popular in Norway

5. Nu-Metal- Western/Anglo form of modern metal, incorporating the use of a dj, rapped vocals, samples, simple, downtuned guitar lines...Include artists such as Korn, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Slipknot- often looked down upon by 'true metal fans'

6. Prog Metal- Style with a major emphasis on musicality with all instruments contributing extended soloing, musical progressions with major contrasts throughout their pieces

Include artists such as Dream Theater, Tool, Rhapsody, Symphony-X, Stratovarius, Cog

7. Goth Metal- Metal music associated with gothic contexts and culture...include artists like Cradle of Filth (barely)

8. Doom Metal- music associated with pessimistic undertones, gloomy contexts to the extremity...generally low tempos used, slow, groovy beats used...extended low growls include bands like My Dying Bride, Virgin Black

9. Pop Metal- acts like Poison, Van Halen, The Darkness, etc

check out www.ultimatemetalforums.com for a more indepth analysis of the metal genre, feel free to add any more I have forgotten

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Guess im a fan of Power Metal, Thrash Metal, Nu-Metal, and like Death Metal and Pop metal, but whats Guns and roses classified as

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Korn said:
Guess im a fan of Power Metal, Thrash Metal, Nu-Metal, and like Death Metal and Pop metal, but whats Guns and roses classified as
Hard rock, not really metal I wouldn't think, in the same kinda grey area as acdc

nuffsaid

BOS Founder
HSC
withoutaface said:
Hard rock, not really metal I wouldn't think, in the same kinda grey area as acdc
yerp, guns n roses are definitely hard rock

artfag

Banned
HSC
i dig some Opeth, but haven't really dug deep into their discography
i'm mostly into sludge/stoner (eyehategod, isis, boris, electric wizard, melvins, kyuss), extreme doom (khanate, earth, sunn0)))), black (gorguts, anaal nathrakh), some melodic death (arsis) and really over the top anthemic power metal (man-o-war, blind guardian, dragonforce)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)