Opeth fans? (1 Viewer)

nuffsaid

BOS Founder
HSC
artfag said:
i dig some Opeth, but haven't really dug deep into their discography
i'm mostly into sludge/stoner (eyehategod, isis, boris, electric wizard, melvins, kyuss), extreme doom (khanate, earth, sunn0)))), black (gorguts, anaal nathrakh), some melodic death (arsis) and really over the top anthemic power metal (man-o-war, blind guardian, dragonforce)
dragonforce - dawn over a new world ;)
love that song

Stomping Ground

Complicated name, no gain
HSC
Love Opeth, paid for all the albums, was at the concert. They are amazing. (Still Life was my first concept album, WHAT A WAY TO START! Blew me away).

HSC
artfag said:
i'm mostly into sludge/stoner (eyehategod, isis, boris, electric wizard, melvins, kyuss), extreme doom (khanate, earth, sunn0)))), black (gorguts, anaal nathrakh), some melodic death (arsis) and really over the top anthemic power metal (man-o-war, blind guardian, dragonforce)
im scared of seeing sunn o))) live.
i worried it will rupture my internal organs.

televators

HSC
ohh- sorry i forgot the stoner metal sub-genre, one of my favs too!

yea, abt that link...just go to www.opeth.com, then head to their forum, its linked to a heavy metal mega forum, should have a few more answers for you

w1ck3d_c10wn

HSC
metallica with bob rock = shitty 'country' style metal. The last thrash album they made was ...And Justice For All, which was pretty ordinary cause of the COMPLETE lack of bass on it.

guns and roses are hard rock.

I've seen Black Sabbath called heavy metal, and/or sludge, as well as some doom metal like Iron monkey being called stoner type stuff.

televators good job there, id just like to add - with Doom metal, there is VERY distorted, downtuned guitars usually, even moreso than Nu metal.

Nu - metal is played in Drop C tuning and does not feature solos (for the most part)

Cradle Of Filth call themselves Horror Themed Metal these days - becuase of their ousting from 'true' black metal. Usually they are described as playing Heavy metal with gothic/black undertones. Nymphetamine did not sound particularly gothic at all to me in any case.

Death are known as Technical Death Metal. a better idea of influential DM bands would be including Bloodbath, Cannibal Corpse, Morbid Angel, Deicide, Dying Fetus, et al... a spinoff of which you haver Brutal Death bands like Nile and Cryptopsy. To me brutal death has more lower end - more double kicking and blastbeats, as well as a sometimes more prominent bass line.

Grindcore is a sort of mishmash of Thrash metal and punk - songs are VERY short, often with screamed, indecipherable lyrics, and no bass to speak of. e.g Napalm Death, Anal Cunt

If you want to go even further, you can dig up genres such as Viking metal etc, but it gets a bit ridiculous.

an excellent metal site is www.metal-archives.com

Last edited:

Ollz San

D.E.B
HSC
this is "prim8" btw. :)

Nightwish and Isis are touring australia. I don't think I can go though. :(

anyone going?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Ollz San said:

anyone going?
Nightwish are supporting Maiden in Poland. IT'S JUST NOT FAIR DAMMIT :(

Stomping Ground

Complicated name, no gain
HSC
artfag said:
Blind Guardian? Manowar? "Lets slay the dragon and meet the princess!"

Power metal? More like LAMER METAL! :D

artfag

Banned
HSC
^captain obvious

i saw Isis last friday night, they were pretty amazing

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
Stomping Ground said:
Blind Guardian? Manowar? "Lets slay the dragon and meet the princess!"

Power metal? More like LAMER METAL! :D
i cant help but laugh when i hear a manowar track.

wanton-wonton

HSC
Korn said:
Guess im a fan of Power Metal, Thrash Metal, Nu-Metal, and like Death Metal and Pop metal, but whats Guns and roses classified as
Hard Rock .

adsta

HSC
Ollz San said:

anyone going?
Yep, I'm going to see nightwish. Also looking forward to the support band dungeon, they are pretty kick ass too.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Where are some good metal clubs in Sydney and out West

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)