physics/Chem final prep (1 Viewer)

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Just wondering, why does chem scale better than phys? I find phys a bit more challenging even though im doing better in physics
from what i know, scaling is dependent on the cohort rather than how hard the subject is. For example, 4u maths scales a lot because the ppl who do 4u tend to do well in their other subjects. Chem probably scales more in certain years because the chem cohort in those years did better in their other subjects than the physics cohort.

Atarer

HSC
ok do people find reading over notes doesnt really help?
well for me just reading over notes and textbooks makes me feel bored and i tend to lose concentration. i have to actually write stuff down in order to concentrate.

nephh22

HSC
Yes, it's a great book, I used that for the majority of my study on individual modules in Physics. But some of the answers are pretty dodgy. For a 2 mark question, the answer rambles on and on, but for an 8-marker assess question, there's barely a paragraph of explanation!
For the specimen questions, that is true, but its a GREAT book overall... 9.5/10 :)

jamesfirst

HSC
As you should do.
For 6-8 markers I can write up to 6 pages.

Tbh to get 75 you probably have to fail. I'd say around 45%
Because you write irrelevant shit.

You need to address the q properly. The max I've written for a 6 marker was 2 pages and that's including diagram and equations for chemistry (last question for industrial chem in CSSA 2011). Got full mark for my option in chem. Would have gotten 85+ raw mark if I read the question. DAMN IT

K

khorne

You need to address the q properly. The max I've written for a 6 marker was 2 pages and that's including diagram and equations for chemistry (last question for industrial chem in CSSA 2011). Got full mark for my option in chem. Would have gotten 85+ raw mark if I read the question. DAMN IT
tbh riproot isnt the benchmark for success. He talks a big one but over-estimates his abilities by a long shot.

Carl5

HSC
Umm, srs guys chill. I did physics last year hahaha, hardly any practice beforehand, it's just exam technique.

Reading time: sesh the paper, get a feel. First 10 min of writing go through the whole exam and write dot points next to long answer ones. Seriously, this will help so much. Idc if it takes 15-20 min (it shouldn't), but the plan is a must. Later on, you will know exactly what to write. After this first 20 or so minutes of planning, the exam is over for me basically. Do the MC then, they should be easy, mark anything you are unsure of. Then go through and write to your plan. If you think of something, add it in, otherwise, just write.

I finished last years paper in like...1.5 hours for phys, plenty of time to go over it.

The planning stage is because: it is easier to get long response right the first time, then to go over, cross out/change things. So you can consider this planning time as like..reviewing time instead. It's the same. After long response, go back and fix up any MC qs, and any graphs or diagrams which may need modifying etc. Do them legit, in ruler and pencil...make it nice.

I've been doing similar for my subjects. Definitely a great plan of attack. Each essay and short answer question I've written a plan (unless it's 1/2 marks haha)

chloe555

HSC
wow does anyone else think that this khorne guy is either a massive troll or an arrogant turd?

jamesfirst

HSC
yo.

Is citric acid triprotic ( meaning: can I call it a triprotic if it's a weak acid ? )

weirdguy99

HSC
N/A

2 pages.. O_O I wrote <1 page in my Physics Trial on the last question for Quanta to Quarks, which was 8 marks, and included a diagram of a cyclotron for which I got 8 marks. You're probably rambling on..

K

khorne

wow does anyone else think that this khorne guy is either a massive troll or an arrogant turd?
maybe you're just missing a large proportion of your brain cells so you find standardised concepts which European and Asian schools teach in year 6 to be difficult. I think it's that. You should probably learn how to flip burgers. Quickly

weirdguy99

HSC
N/A
maybe you're just missing a large proportion of your brain cells so you find standardised concepts which European and Asian schools teach in year 6 to be difficult. I think it's that. You should probably learn how to flip burgers. Quickly
Enough buddy, some people find it more difficult in the beginning..

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Umm 6 pages? Are you insane?
Haha they mark on the right answer, its got nothing to do with length. 8 Markers have a set criteria, match the criteria you get the marks.
Don't waste time writing 6 PAGES, wowee
I usually write like 3. But maximum is 6. This is because with the big markers I get stressed and space out my writing A LOT and I like to write in-depth paragraphs and stuff. It's not that I can't be concise, I just like being thorough.
Also, it's not that much for me. I wrote 1.5 pages in dot-points for the trial 7 marker and got 4 because I didn't do everything, so I'd prefer the way I usually do it and get 7/7.

some of you guys r offering terrible advice you should do your topic or multiple choice first they will trick u up when ur at a panic near the end (well thats what happens to me anyway) and 6 pages is too long for a 6-8 marker the marking criteria says "CONCISE, logical and coherent" i highly doubt you can write 6 pages without repeating urself somewhere n it wastes time better used for double checking that being said i havent started studying chem aiming to get 80 raw r the cssa trials generally harder then the HSC?
Yes, but you can be consise with 6 pages of MORE information and more in-depth.
I can, trust me.
It doesn't waste much time in a three hour exam. Tbh, there's plenty of time to spare if you do the exam right.

Not much really.. Mid 50's is my guess.
I need to cram my option :\ Shipwrecks >.<
It would be a fail imo. <50.
~52% is ~80

ok do people find reading over notes doesnt really help?
well for me just reading over notes and textbooks makes me feel bored and i tend to lose concentration. i have to actually write stuff down in order to concentrate.
Yes. Always write or move or something.

K

khorne

Honestly, who cares? You do as well, as far as I can tell from your forum posts.

Kinda need a bit of an attitude re-check, as far as I can tell.
mate, i deliver all the time. And attitude or not, I keep it real. But you keep on soldiering lil' fella, 94 in IPT sure is impressive. I bet Dell tech support can't wait to hire you!

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
No I don't. I write all relevant stuff and sometimes I'm told I could've added a bit more. lol
I do. I read a bunch of questions wrong in the trial and got 0 for a few because of it. :/
But I've been working on that. Still made a few sillies from it in my HSC so far though. :/

tbh riproot isnt the benchmark for success.
This.

He talks a big one but over-estimates his abilities by a long shot.
Not this. I don't think I'm that good, tbh. Just sharing my style.

And people - I said I CAN write UP TO 6 pages, not that I always do. It's usually around 2-3, and my writing is MASSIVE.

K

khorne

Haha wow, exactly my point. Ah well, I guess if you find satisfaction in being that keyboard warrior, keep at it mate.

You'll work out later marks wont mean much in the long run, much like that attitude wont when you are angry, unsatisfied and alone.

Argument over.
lol m8, aren't you single?

My thoughts exactly. Girls love success.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)