Powerplay - Related Texts (1 Viewer)

Sventina

HSC
A lot of people seem to be looking at "power" and forgetting the "play" aspect.

Marinatos

HSC
Yep. I noticed that too. But really, you can find powerplay in anything if you look hard enough.

Jennifer Fallons Hythrun Chronicles would be perfect to use with Antony and Cleopatra, there is just the minor problem that they are modern fantasy and not really "appropriate" although they have really complicated political story lines and are perfect for the unit. It makes me depressed that I shouldn't do it.

I'm still looking for a good poem and painting.

annacogs

HSC
Don't limit yourself to films or books, there are plenty of songs out there dealing with political revolution or sexual powerplay. Analysing songs can show greater depth of knowledge as well, because you can show how a variety of techniques are used to show power (like using a chorus, or rapping with hardly any musical support) as well as all the normal literary ones.

Also have a quick look around for articles, there are some great resources on the TIME magazine website on powerplay between warring armies and political groups - think Iraq, Afghanistan, the civil war in Rwanda. There are some good things about the situation between Tibet and China on there too =)

loz.elizabeth

HSC
doing "candy" the film with heath ledger and abbie cornish, the powerplay exists within the characters themselves, struggling to control their lives in spite of the drugs, also between heaths character and abbies parents.
doing the novel "cather in the rye" not into it completely yet but was suggested to me. anyone got any critism to add? should i do these texts? stupid idea? any comments would be wonderful
x thanks

xseastar

HSC
Hi I'm doing 1984 and Powerplay .. Anyone have any suggestions for starting points for looking for related texts? Like, where do you start looking if you want a poem on powerplay?

1984 seems to be more on political power, should I stick to things like Elizabeth and historical politics or should I kind of diversify to cover other types of powerplay?

Does anyone have the rubric for Powerplay somewhere?

Last edited:

Ioniza

HSC
I'm using the trailer for a video game :shy:

I asked my teacher about using a video game for Journeys, and she advised against it... but when I used it, i got very high marks for it (I used the Arbiter's journey in Halo 2).

For Power play, im considering using the debut trailer for Tom Clancy's EndWar, as it is not too long, and has a combination of language and visual techniques.

I find that it's good to use video games as I personally find it easier to remember quotes when i enjoy playing the game over and over... it imprints in my brain easier (same reason why we tend to remember jokes, but not quotes - coz we enjoy hearing them).

Pick a medium that you enjoy (ie, movie that you like, etc) and try and think deeper as to how it can involve powerplay (try not to force it, or it'll be evident in your analyses).

I'm a hardcore gamer btw... gaming is like my second nature, so this was an obvious choice for me :uhhuh:

Lexii-

HSC
We've just started reading 'Antony & Cleopatra' & we'll have to find related material soon. I was wondering if the play 'Dead Caesar' written by Chris Taylor (of The Chaser) would be appropriate? For those who aren't familiar with 'Dead Caesar' here is a blurb from a website:

"Imagine there's this great leader. Imagine he's more or less turned himself into a dictator. Imagine it's time for him to go. So, imagine he gets stabbed in the back by those closest to him. Now imagine they are wearing togas.

Chris Taylor has rewritten the infamous moral fable of Julius Caesar as a comedy: an incredibly silly comedy with songs. There might be a serious undercurrent but don't hold your breath. Self motivated politicians; how could that be serious?

In election year, Chris Taylor teams up with composer and Chaser colleague Andrew Hansen to give us this irreverent portrait of one of history's great leaders."

Incubus Man

HSC
Trippendicular said:
Gladiator is good, especially when coupled with Antony and Cleopatra as your core text as they both examine the role of public power, that is power by popular support
That's a fantastic text to use. Thankyou.

cass02081990

HSC
leunig "lies"

does anyone have the actually cartoon on a website that they could send the link. please. thanx

HelenwhoreofT

HSC
rcandelori said:
Harry Potter, Animal Farm, Cruel Intentions? Oh my god, how pathetically basic are these texts? The Board of Studies are looking for more originality in the selection of extra texts, and quite frankly the ones I've read on this thread are bad.

British Television series "House of Cards" and the 1988 film "Dangerous Liaisons" are much better choices.

Clearly your a fucktard if you are calling Animal Farm basic.

jayciiee

yallah shoe cuz byeee
HSC
i read somewhere in the forums someone asking whether the series underbelly would be anygood for powerplay? comment on this as you will

stillwaters

HSC
if you can do american beauty well then its possible... sorry for the zen sounding way that phrase came out.
if my memory is correct...
well, since powerplay explores the extent that power resides with the people, u could say that its an exploration of the 'common' people- those who aren't usually recognised to have any kind of 'power', which then subverts the traditional image of powerplay as ooo big people moving in political / big sphere whose every decision etc. will have impacts upon entire world etc. etc. instead, mendes focuses on suburbia and mundane everyday stuff...
also, as in the module you're meant to explore the nature of politics- well, there's the sexual politics involved with um.. i forget character's names... but how each one reacts to their sexuality... the creepy relationship between kevin spacey and his daughter's best friend- i.e. who has the power? spacey guy because he's older, male, 'adult', experienced or the girl because she is able to wrap him around her finger, make him change how he acts without realising? also the homosexuality of umm... that other guy's dad... i really have to remember ppls names. so nature of politics to be cosntantly shifting, constantly reconfiguring its outward appearance etc. gender too.
portrayal's of the powerful- who's powerful? the real estate guy, but subverted during sex scene where he's revealed to be massively egotistical and giving in to animal desires etc.
apologies for massive chunk of (probably crappy) analysis... i reckon you could do american beauty and do it well. itd be an interesting text as well because it explores similar ideas within antony and cleo (if that's what your doing) but in different ways. also different medium i.e. film so you'd have to talk about different techniques which is excellant. i wish i was doing this now! but i already have a visual text...

um question: is there any constraints on what types of related texts you can choose? because my school specifies that if your prescribed text isn't a visual one i.e. frontline (im just using as an example, im avctually doing pwoerplay) then you have to have at least ONE of your r elated texts as a visual... is it bad if i have two visual texts i.e. tv show and film?

montypython

HSC
I was thinking of doing Bruce Almighty.

Question: are you meant to link the texts in your essay? Or do you just talk about them one after the other (that's what I've seen people do)?

jkwii

Ultimate Member
HSC
u should have 3 texts. i am doing A&C so i have a poem and a film. then i have 2 concepts. they i have 4 body paragraphs where i link my set text (A&C) with each of my supplementary texts. they you link parapgraphs to each other as well as concepts to each other. its just one massive linking essay pretty much.

u-borat

Banned
HSC
I'm doing V For Vendetta and Les Liaisons Dangereuses.
I would have liked to use fight club, but im using it for imaginative journeys and i dun think you can use the same text for 2 different essays.

velocite

HSC
I'm doing Ninteen Eighty Four by George Orwell. Not sure about related text just yet, however any good suggestions on a good relating text?

imoO

HSC
What about 300?

There is constant power play between King Leonidas and Xerxes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)