Private school (Malek Fahd Islamic School) sends strugglers to TAFE (1 Viewer)

SomeoneCool

Banned
HSC
Sydney Morning Herald
YEAR 12 students at a private school in Sydney are forced to complete HSC subjects at TAFE if it appears they will not score high marks.

Malek Fahd Islamic School, in Greenacre, joined the top 10 HSC performers in the Herald's league table for the first time last year, ranking ninth - a jump from 15th position the previous year.
Malek Fahd students, who pay fees to attend the school, make up close to half the free HSC chemistry class at Bankstown TAFE this year.
Ken Enderby, who co-ordinates the Bankstown TAFE HSC program, said in recent years students had told him they had to take HSC subjects at TAFE because they could not sit them at Malek Fahd. He said one Malek Fahd student who was asked to leave the school achieved a lowest score of 60 per cent and a highest score of 72 per cent at TAFE.
"I have had parents in tears because their children have not been allowed to sit subjects at the school," he said.
"I'm happy to have those kids here. These are very good students - well behaved and a pleasure to teach."
Twenty-one year 12 students from Malek Fahd enrolled at Bankstown TAFE this year to complete studies in subjects including physics, mathematics and chemistry, all offered at the school.
Of the 24 students enrolled in the Bankstown TAFE HSC chemistry class, 11 are from Malek Fahd.
Mr Enderby said eight students from Malek Fahd were taking legal studies at the TAFE.
The principal of Malek Fahd, Intaj Ali, said yesterday his school offered 11 HSC subjects, including advanced English and mathematics, biology, business studies, chemistry, physics, studies of religion, and legal studies.
Dr Ali denied that he had encouraged poorer performing students to study at TAFE. "No, no, no," he said. "There is no such thing. It is only when they want to change a subject." The 71 students who completed the HSC at the school last year achieved 126 results in band six, which are marks of 90 per cent or more.
Dr Ali said the school had gradually increased its subjects and its student numbers.
Since the school was established by Australian Federation of Islamic Councils in October 1989, the student population has grown from 87 children from kindergarten to year 3 to more than 1700 children from kindergarten to year 12.
The school has rapidly improved its performance in the Herald's HSC results league table, which is based on the number of student scores of 90 per cent and above divided by the number of examinations attempted.
Malek Fahd only receives credit for the subjects that are completed at the school. TAFE colleges receive credit for Malek Fahd students who sit their examinations at TAFE.
Mr Enderby said 13 Malek Fahd students were at Bankstown TAFE last year.
The HSC co-ordinator at Granville TAFE, Dougal Patey, said some Malek Fahd students also studied at his institution.
Year 12 students at Malek Fahd pay about $1600 in fees for the year. The school received $3.6 million in state funding and $9.3 million in federal funding in the 2006-07. The funding had increased 14 per cent over four years.
It earned $2.4 million from fees and recorded a surplus of $3.4 million for the year ending in December 2006, $500,000 more than the previous year.
Do you think its right to send away under performing students to complete their HSC at TAFE with the aim of increasing your school's ranking?

http://nyngan.yourguide.com.au/news...e-school-sends-strugglers-to-tafe/785012.aspx

Last edited:
L

lsam

SomeoneCool said:
Do you think its right to send away under performing students to complete their HSC at TAFE with the aim of increasing your school's ranking?
it's muslim who does it. wtf do you expect?

And NO, it's just not morally right. But there is absolutely no need to say that to arabs as they won't fucking understand English.

sannous1

HSC
overall thats the principals decison, no need to mock muslims

Last edited:

SomeoneCool

Banned
HSC
lsam said:

And NO, it's just not morally right. But there is absolutely no need to say that to arabs as they won't fucking understand English.
:lol: By the looks of it, YOU don't understand english.

SomeoneCool

Banned
HSC
JaredR said:
This thread has been created to bash Muslim's hasn't it?
Mate, I am Muslim and hence this cannot be considered Muslim bashing.

SomeoneCool

Banned
HSC
sannous1 said:
this school is ridiculous, by the time students reach yr 11 , they go to a public school, about 8, yr 11 girls came from malek fahd to our school this yr there principal dosen't let them choose there subjects at all, and if they would like to drop any, he won't let them.

overall thats the principals decison, no need to mock muslims
So true. I've got cousins who attend this school and I've been told that the range of subjects available is so narrow. You're pretty much forced to do adv english, 3 unit maths, and all the sciences (that's the bare minimum).

If you don't like, go to TAFE!

BackCountrySnow

HSC
lsam said:

'It's muslim who does it'.... and you're saying it's the arabs that have english problems? Really, one islamic school does something morally questionable and you use it to once again attack arabs and the muslim faith. Fucking hell you're retarded.

I don't agree that this is right at all. But I've heard James Ruse asks poor performing students to find another school. Some schools will go these measures to improve (or sustain) their rank.

SomeoneCool

Banned
HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
'It's muslim who does it'.... and you're saying it's the arabs that have english problems? Really, one islamic school does something morally questionable and you use it to once again attack arabs and the muslim faith. Fucking hell you're retarded.

I don't agree that this is right at all. But I've heard James Ruse asks poor performing students to find another school. Some schools will go these measures to improve (or sustain) their rank.
uggghh

Last edited:

SomeoneCool

Banned
HSC
sannous1 said:
we had a girl about 2 weeks ago, she came from malek fahd, she got sick of going to tafe to do legal studies, she came to our school , and strangely, she didn't like our rules and the way our school taught. She was used to the teachers doing everything for her, she enjoyed all the pressure from her school. So 2 days later she left.

Also my neighbour, last term he left malek fahd and his in yr 12, he was forced to do 3unit english, 4unt maths and he didnt want to do them at all, so he left.
cool

Last edited:

BackCountrySnow

HSC
But that's why the drop out rate for private school kids is so high.
They don't teach students to learn independantly which is what is required in uni.

I'm glad I go to a public school.

sannous1

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
They don't teach students to learn independantly which is what is required in uni.

thats true, students there dont know how to study and donnt do there own study notes, so when they go to uni, majority of them fail in the first yr actually.

Im glad to :D

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
BackCountrySnow said:

That's not true. That's quite a generalisation. If schools were all fussy about their academic performace, why wouldn't Selective High Schools drop all the retards at their schools to enhance their academic performances? I do not think the Private High Schools would deliberately drop students because they wish to increase their Band 6 percentages. The reason why the drop-out rate is high would be attributed to the high cost of attending those schools.

sannous1

HSC
SomeoneCool said:
You may have heard of accelarated learning but at MFIS they have accelarated accelarated learning where you do the HSC for 2 unit Math in year 10!
hahaha yep yep...

that girl that came to our school for 2 days, in every class, for example chemistry or biolgy, she would tell the teachers, ms or sir, ive already finishd the preliminary course, and the teachers would say no stop being silly its impossible, she'll be lik we have, we did it all in term one, and we;ve started the HSC course.
Wtf, teachers just ignored her.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
lyounamu said:
That's not true. That's quite a generalisation. If schools were all fussy about their academic performace, why wouldn't Selective High Schools drop all the retards at their schools to enhance their academic performances?
Because generally, a retard wouldn't be ale to make it into a selective school in the first place.

I do not think the Private High Schools would deliberately drop students because they wish to increase their Band 6 percentages. The reason why the drop-out rate is high would be attributed to the high cost of attending those schools.
I was talking about Private school students dropping out when they reach university.

But to reply to your statement. Yes, some of them would. What that islamic school is doing is basically the same as kicking out students. The school no longer teaches students in those subjects and their results are not listed undder the school's name.

Last edited:

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Exphate said:
Why? Because it addressed the issue and you can't forge a reasonable and logical argument to refute it with?
You just stated the obvious. It wasn't a reasonable and logical argument...

SomeoneCool

Banned
HSC
lyounamu said:
That's not true. That's quite a generalisation. If schools were all fussy about their academic performace, why wouldn't Selective High Schools drop all the retards at their schools to enhance their academic performances? I do not think the Private High Schools would deliberately drop students because they wish to increase their Band 6 percentages. The reason why the drop-out rate is high would be attributed to the high cost of attending those schools.
Yes, they have been able to pay the school fees from kindergarden to year 10, but for some reason they cannot pay for year 11 and 12.

SomeoneCool

Banned
HSC
Exphate said:
Malek Fahd are a private school, it's in their best interest to have high achievers (and lots of them) in order to keep the money rolling in. Morally, probably not. But it's saving the parents of the child a fair bit of cash, which is a positive.

You're a fucking moron. Malek Fahd was only the 9th ranked school in last years HSC. But you're right, they don't understand English.

Edit: SomeoneCool, please inc. the article link.
That's true. High achieveing students do equate to an influx of cash. From my knowledge, there are two broad categories of students at MFIS:
1) People who absolutely slaughter the HSC and achieve a UAI of >90.
2) Those who cave under the pressure the school and their subjects place on their heads.

So, its pretty much do or die. LOL! That should be the school motto. DO OR DIE. Translate it to latin and it'll be like: "operor vel intereo".

BTW, is that JailBait in your avatar?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)