• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Questions to People With a Religion/No Religion. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
I agree with you Nolanistic. (don't misinterpret what i'm saying)

But, unlike 'christianity' Islam has never withheld any scientific findings, or done anything to prevent any new technological advances.

The difference in our ideals are not about religious dogma.
They're about what is 'moral' and what is 'immoral'.

And they're just as important as each other. Without morals society crumbles, people lives are ruined and things go horribly wrong. (which does not progress society.)

For something to be moral (in my opinion) must follow these 3 things.
1- Be best for the individual.
2- Be best for society.
3- Be fair to the individual (by not taking their rights away).

Drug Abuse, Murder, Sex Before Marriage, Homosexualism, Unplanned Pregnancies etc, etc. All fit in here.
That's the only difference in opinion between me and you.

The day that I find a more plausible theory or truth to Islam I'd follow it in a heartbeat.
(But, as i've shown in other posts Islam has no contradictions [as of yet] and explains things such as 'Big-Bang-Theory', 'Human Reproduction [with astounding accuraccy]' and implies that 'life exists in space'.

Also, 'the planet and the suns orbital pattern are never contradicted' they are actually explained with what would be astoundingly accurate for that time.
(although the davin argues that they're pagan beliefs....)

Back to what you're saying... I agree... and I would be 'agnostic' if Islam was proven to be wrong. (Because Atheism 'argues' that there is no 'Celestial Force' and would be stupid).
[Since even the Zero-Law theory which I've been contributing to requires an external entity... however minute to be plausible. Too bad I cant share it with you...]

-Good Luck

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
sam04u said:
I agree with you Nolanistic. (don't misinterpret what i'm saying)

But, unlike 'christianity' Islam has never withheld any scientific findings, or done anything to prevent any new technological advances.

The difference in our ideals are not about religious dogma.
They're about what is 'moral' and what is 'immoral'.

And they're just as important as each other. Without morals society crumbles, people lives are ruined and things go horribly wrong. (which does not progress society.)

2- Be best for society.

Drug Abuse, Murder, Sex Before Marriage, Homosexualism, Unplanned Pregnancies etc, etc. All fit in here.
That's the only difference in opinion between me and you.

The day that I find a more plausible theory or truth to Islam I'd follow it in a heartbeat.
(But, as i've shown in other posts Islam has no contradictions [as of yet] and explains things such as 'Big-Bang-Theory', 'Human Reproduction [with astounding accuraccy]' and implies that 'life exists in space'.

Also, 'the planet and the suns orbital pattern are never contradicted' they are actually explained with what would be astoundingly accurate for that time.
(although the davin argues that they're pagan beliefs....)

Back to what you're saying... I agree... and I would be 'agnostic' if Islam was proven to be wrong. (Because Atheism 'argues' that there is no 'Celestial Force' and would be stupid).
[Since even the Zero-Law theory which I've been contributing to requires an external entity... however minute to be plausible. Too bad I cant share it with you...]

-Good Luck
Situation:

A high school couple met, and fell in love. They lost their virginity to each other. They were together for years and did not see or love anyone else. They have three children and remain together, without the ceremony of marriage.

That's my boyfriend's parents' situation.

What is the purpose of sex before marriage in this context? What is "best"? When it comes to morals, there are far too many cases where something is not as black and white as

2- Be best for society.
Because this criteria poses a subjective nature of what is "best" for anyone. And it is here that you falter because (as stressed a few times in this thread) you do not necessarily hold the "only" and "corect" idea of morality.

Do you understand this; the problem about "morality" and why it differs from person to person, not necessarily to do with religion?

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
I agree with your stance on Molarity, molarity is important everyone has a different idea on molarity.
Molarity is not subjective though, people with intelligence know how to find it.
People without intelligence don't know what molarity is.
(But you need the correct education to know about molarity.)

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I find the doctors and the sages
Have differ'd in all climes and ages,
And two in fifty scarce agree
On what is pure morality

A-yeeeeaaz
(plays fiddle)

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Yeah, I agree with you. (which is rare....)
But... about the burnings of schools... be abit... fair... the 'taliban' doesn't represent Islam.
And you know... that a schools main purpose is solely to 'brainwash' society into assimilation... why else would the government control it so adamantly?

Education isn't what is on the governments mind when they write out syllabuses and you're smart enough to figure that out. (I can't argue your intelligence like I do others.)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
sam04u said:
I agree with your stance on Molarity, molarity is important everyone has a different idea on molarity.
Molarity is not subjective though, people with intelligence know how to find it.
People without intelligence don't know what molarity is.
(But you need the correct education to know about molarity.)
you mean morality?

If you're patronising, I don't appreciate it.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
So the taliban and the ayotollahs(sp) were actually saving women from being brainwashed into assimilating????

Also I refer back to your earlier point about Islam never having opressed science and held back progress, my muslim lecturer on politics in the middle east is in vehement disagreement with you.

I am studying so too busy to dig out my notes however I recall something about the closing of the gates and an end to interpretation of the Qur'an, a discarding of all religious teaching except the Qur'an and the Hadith a reflection of the triumph of determinist Islam over free-will islamic thinking.

The direct result of this triumph was the stagnation of Islamic society, progress and productivity ground to a halt as ideas of a devine plan/destiny reduced the drive for individuals to be productive, enterprising, imaginative and exploratory.

This is the time period which coincided with the renaissance(sp) in Europe. Previously it had been Europe in the dark ages and the muslim world holding the torch of learning, now the flame had been passed the lights went out in the middle-east and so began a period of stagnation from which the region has never truly recovered.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
sam04u said:
But... about the burnings of schools... be abit... fair... the 'taliban' doesn't represent Islam.
And you know... that a schools main purpose is solely to 'brainwash' society into assimilation... why else would the government control it so adamantly?

Education isn't what is on the governments mind when they write out syllabuses and you're smart enough to figure that out. (I can't argue your intelligence like I do others.)
ad hominem. you do it all the time, and it gets quite annoying. Yes you prolly are smart, but most of us here are smart and putting people down doesnt help your argument

Islam is all well and good with pretty rainbows in theory, but in practise it means governments prevent girls from leaving a burning school because they dont have their hijabs on, it means women are murdered for sleeping with people before marriage, shit women are murdered BY LAW just because she sleep with someone who isnt their husband.

Now you will tell me these people are not acting as muslims should, but then why do the vast majority of muslims not speak up about these problems?

i can think of only one reason. Because they agree with these types of actions.

This is why i beleive muslims have vastly different morals to me, morals which i see as being completely wrong.

Miss_Molly

HSC
Question 1:
Do you believe in a God? Which Religion?
I do not believe in any god of any religion.

Question 2:
Do you believe it's okay for people to be having Sex under the Age of 18?(protectetion)
Yes i absolutly believe that it is okay for people who want to have sex, to have sex whatever age they are, people need to be abel to make these decisions for themselves if they are not ready then they do not have to have sex, it shouldnt matter what age you are.

Question 3:
Do you believe it's okay to have Sex with someone you have no Intention of marrying? (protection/no protection)
Yes definetly, I dont look at any guy i meet as somebody that i might end up marrying and i dont feel that a relationship should be entered into with any intentions a 'plan', especially with marriage. And if sex was an issue that it is always with protection, whether your going to marry them or not.

Question 4:
Do you believe in evolution? What aspects? Other theories about the Creation of Mankind?
I believe in evolution i mean how else did we get here right?...I just believe that our way of living is not from a supposed man/woman upstairs so to speak.

Question 5:
Are you open minded to "Evidence" of either "God being Real" or "God not being Real"? depending on your existing beliefs.
I am open minded about all things and i am up for anything, if somebody would like to talk to me about religion that is fine i just do not like being preached to about what its all about. I knwo my beliefs but i support others who have different points of view.

Question 6:
Have you ever contemplated suicide?
No

Question 7almost done)
Do you believe in legalising Drugs?/or Drugs being optional?
I believe that what people choose to put into their bodies should be their own choosing, but i dont specifically have a point of view exactly about drugs, i believe it is each to their own and people should have the right to choose...after all it is their bodies.

Question 8:
Do you believe in the Death Sentence? (capital punishment? under what circumstances)
no i do not

Question 9:
Are you fine with homosexualism?
I am absolutly fine with homosexualism i believe that everybody has the right to love another person and that it should not matter what age, sex, race, or gender...People should jjust be bale to choose without anybody permission or criticism

Question 10:
Would you sacrifice your life for a cause? (list a few)
I would sacrifice my life for something that is worth fighting for. I would die for my family, friends and the country, except in situations in which my country participates in situation in wich i morally disagree with.

Question 11: (final)
Have you considered any of the other religious beliefs? seriously?
No i have not, i like a religion free life and i dont like the thought of having a god in my life, i havent considered it in my life up until this point perhaps later on i would consider it but i cannot answer questions about my future.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
sam04u said:

The government doesn't actually control it that adamantly. Non governmental schools can offer the IB, they have to offer the HSC, but can offer (and strongly encourage) a non Australian program of study.

Also it stops people taking religious fucked up ideals and teaching it to their kids (as many cases of home schooling show). The government is really the most neutral party that can be trusted to provide education for the majority of the population, you aren't about to start trusting churches or mosques to do it (well you might, but preferably I don't like being taught that I deserve to be exectured when I do nothing morally wrong).

K

katie_tully

Question 1:
Do you believe in a God? Which Religion?

I do not believe in God. I do not believe in the existance of any God.

Question 2:
Do you believe it's okay for people to be having Sex under the Age of 18?(protectetion)

Considering the legal age of consent is 16, yes I think it is okay for people under 18 to have sex.

Question 3:
Do you believe it's okay to have Sex with someone you have no Intention of marrying? (protection/no protection)

Yes.

Question 4:
Do you believe in evolution? What aspects? Other theories about the Creation of Mankind?

I believe in evolution. I believe in all aspects of evolution. Natural selection, survival of the fittest. I also believe in the evidence that supports evolution, such as biogeography, fossils, comparative DNA, comparative embryos and so on.
Question 5:

Are you open minded to "Evidence" of either "God being Real" or "God not being Real"? depending on your existing beliefs.

No, because there is no evidence.

Question 6:
Have you ever contemplated suicide?

No.

Question 7almost done)
Do you believe in legalising Drugs?/or Drugs being optional?

No.

Question 8:
Do you believe in the Death Sentence? (capital punishment? under what circumstances)

I believe that it should be applicable in certain circumstances.

Question 9:
Are you fine with homosexualism?

I dont care either way.

Question 10:
Would you sacrifice your life for a cause? (list a few)

No. No cause is worth my life.

No. They're all shit.

K

katie_tully

Is it homosexualism, or homosexuality.

I also do not believe in making up words.

walrusbear

HSC
katie_tully said:

No. They're all shit.
you realised religious beliefs are shit without considering them?
how clever

K

katie_tully

I was raised a Catholic for the first 12 years of my life.

From that little hell raising experience, I have deduced, with further inspection, that basically they're all tantamount to the same thing.

Seeing as how Catholocism was a a total waste of my time and has forever tainted my view of Catholics, Christians or any other religious do gooders, I further apply my judgement to the rest of the religions.

If any of you with your infinte wisdom can show me how any religion is different from the other, without references to the bible and such, go forth.

L

littlewing69

katie_tully said:
I was raised a Catholic for the first 12 years of my life.

From that little hell raising experience, I have deduced, with further inspection, that basically they're all tantamount to the same thing.

Seeing as how Catholocism was a a total waste of my time and has forever tainted my view of Catholics, Christians or any other religious do gooders, I further apply my judgement to the rest of the religions.

If any of you with your infinte wisdom can show me how any religion is different from the other, without references to the bible and such, go forth.
Yeah. Because surely all religions are just like the brand of Catholicism you got shoved down your throat....

L

littlewing69

Nolanistic said:
In that they're insanity by consensus?

Yes, yes they are, you person, you.

Your ignorance of the diversity of human religion is astounding.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

littlewing69

katie_tully said:
Okay. You want something far removed from Catholicism? That would be something guilt-free, non-dogmatic, non-authoritarian etc..

Have a look at:

Taoism
Deism
Paganism
some types of Buddhism
Quakers

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
littlewing69 said:
Okay. You want something far removed from Catholicism? That would be something guilt-free, non-dogmatic, non-authoritarian etc..

Have a look at:

Taoism
Deism
Paganism
some types of Buddhism
Quakers
imo any religion is by definition a flawed belief system. Conversely any belief system that's actually good is not a religion by definition. ;)

the religious implies the institutional, which in turn implies the restrictive, dogmatic and authoritarian. when one refers to 'religions' they're not referring to the spiritual, and the belief systems that expand perspectives rather than inhibit them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)