Random tips for year 12s! (1 Viewer)

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
I have to do this speech thing at my school tomorrow, about how to suceed in the HSC (they get everyone who gets a UAI over 90 to go back to do it, just during a school assembely.). So I'm currently trying to think about some stuff to say. (hehe...I obviously didn't learn anything about not leaving tasks til the last moment! :p ) Anyway-any ideas would help me out, and it could also help out people here who will be doing the HSC this year.
SO-what are some ideas or tips you wish you had known at the start of the year? Not obvious stuff like make sure to hand in all assessments, and study for all your exams, blah blah...but little tricks that you pick up over the year-no matter how trivial!

A couple of little things I learned...
*Bring a felt tip pen to exams in case all your ballpoints run out.
*Arthritis cream works well if your hand gets really sore after writing lots of essays, like after the english exams.

AGB

HSC
come to BoS lots and lots and use the resources here to gain an edge.....

seriously, its a good tip ;) haha

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by mannnnndy
Take spare (steal from siblings if necessary) calculators into maths exams, in case the battery dies.
I stole my sister's for 3U maths, 4U maths, phys and chem :D.

Her maths teacher got angry when she didn't have it too LOL!

I had to give an impromptu speech on how to do well in French the other day. A little general trick I would give is to put music on while you're working, but don't listen to it. When you start to hear the words you know you're drifting off. This is especially useful for boring regurgitation subjects :).

mannnnndy

chocoholic
Originally posted by kini mini

A little general trick I would give is to put music on while you're working, but don't listen to it. When you start to hear the words you know you're drifting off. This is especially useful for boring regurgitation subjects :).
I tried that in the hsc, but I must have gotten so bored cause I had to get music without words (ie movie soundtracks) to listen to cause I couldnt concentrate

Rahul

Dead Member
Originally posted by mannnnndy
Take spare (steal from siblings if necessary) calculators into maths exams, in case the battery dies.
i think u should begin by telling them to take atleast one!!!

for my yearly exams last year(yr11) and for my first hsc assessment i didnt have my calculator for both the 2 and 3 u exams. (the 2 and 3 u exams were back-to-back....so i didnt forget to bring my calculator after a couple of days!...jus after a couple of months:()

*note to self: REMEMBER TO BRING CALCULATOR*

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Love your sig, Mannnndy (how many ns?)

I listened to trance/hard house just before my exams, because there was nothing to get stuck in my head but I needed to block out other people saying they didn't know anything.

Speaking of which, don't listen to other people whinging, it just gets your nerves up. :D

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
drink lots and lots of water ...
start early (homework, study, whatever) ...
sleep like normal people (before 1am) ...
eat healthy foods (some people get really fat during the hsc) ...
exercise ...
wear sunscreen if you leave the house (your skin will not be able to cope with the sunlight which it hasnt seen for months :p) ...
learn to fly ...

but most importantly, take no notice of my advice ...:p

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
This is all good advice.:)

*Sharpen your pencils before you get into the exam-but don't make them so sharp that they will break as soon as you try to write something...you don't want to waste time sharpenin during the exam-it could mean the difference between finishing that last question or not.

*Don't forget a stapler...you have enough to concentrate on without looking around everyones desks in the last 10 mins trying to find someone you can borrow a stapler from. ANd make sure it has enough staples in it to last through all the exams, cos you'll probably just leave it in yor bag once the exams start and forget to put more in there.

*Before you start the exam-make sure your desk isn't wobbly! It is really annoying trying to write when the legs aren't even and the table keeps rocking or sqeaking-and it is also annoyign to everyone else, and they will no doubt be shooting you evil glares when you are trying to work, which won't help you to concentrate! If you do wind up with a wobbly desk or chair-ask to switch tables, or fold a piece of paper under the shorter leg to even it out.

*Don't use white out. It is a waste of time waiting for it to dry, or worse-you could white something out and then forget to go back to it, and lose an easy mark. Markers don't care if you scribble stuff out, as long as it doesn't look to unorganised. If you DO make the paper look too messy and have a spare moment at the end, just draw a nice smiley face or a flower near it, and write a nice apology for all the mess so the marker doesn't get pissed off.;)

*If there is a question you are unsure of-highlight it on the question paper, so you remember to go back to it if you have time left over at the end. And also leave a bit of extra space at the bottom of the question if yo can, in case when you do go back you realise you've done it wrong or want to add something, so you don't need to squash the new answer up at the bottom of the page.

*Figure out a "Plan B" when you need to travel to an important exam...another way you could get to the exam on time if the train is cancelled, the bus is late, if the car breaks down...etc etc. Figure out someone you could call for a lift who would be home, or bring some extra money for a taxi, or whatever...because if anything was ever going to go wrong, it will no doubt go wrong on the day where it is actually important that you be somewhere on time! And it will also help set your mind that little bit more at ease when you don't have to worry about not making it on time.

*In the actual HSC, if you know you'll be needing another writing book, don't wait til the booklet you're on at that moment is just about to run out, because the supervisor may not notice you straight away, and you don't want to be sitting there with your hand up waiting and lose your train of thought. Just put your hand up and keep writing til they notice-even if yo do still have a few pages to go.

Last edited:

kini mini

HSC
Just adding one - in science exams, use your option booklet to draft answers and do all calculations several times. Then ask for another one :D.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Just a suggestion......I wouldn't get up there and just talk about little exam things (like asking for extra writing booklets-if a person wait till the last second to ask for a booklet then they deserve to fail) but things that helped you study as well as keep balanced during the year, how you juggled parties, sporting and family, and not taking things too serious so that life is no fun. HSC is not the end of the world, and make sure they know that 1000's of students make it through EVERY year.

Fi

always plan to go to the toliet during a 3 hr exam, that way u won't think you've wasted any time:D

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
but don't go 'just in case' cos it will weaken your bladder and you won't be able to last in the rest of your exams

Nose Bleed

ex-loser
HSC
N/A
its usually easier to write essays and stuff if you set your genitals alight afterwards

just dont get into any fights before hand, thats the worst thing ever
last year before geography yearly i sorta got beaten up and after it i litrally had to run into the exam
it was the worst i was shaking and aching and stinging and couldn't see and headache and couldn't stop thiking about it, and it reflected on the marks

Nose Bleed

ex-loser
HSC
N/A
but um ... you hsould have seen the other guys/. yes that will do

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Originally posted by YEAR12
what the hell did you do to get yourself beaten up before a HSC exam??
Well, firstly he tried to throw a kid into a brick wall. The kid bounced, so he was flattened and then this chick came up to him and started hitting him around the head with a chair..

Sheesh, whaddaya think :p

One of the best things I learnt in year 12 was to say 'can't, I'm doing my HSC'. It's especially useful for when your parents say 'get the clothes off the line' or 'buy me a loaf of bread' or even 'could you tape this show for me?' :D

hgpstar

*make sure every clock anywhere near you is correct before exams start. i only made it to my geog exam with 30 secs to spare cos i was sitting in the car (cramming of course), which said i had 15 mins to go. thankfully i thought it was wierd that there was no-one from my class hanging around...cos they were all sitting in the exam!

*do go out. dont become reclusive! its not healthy!

*if possible, have sex as stress relief. actually, i am just suggesting this because it would be a great way to shock all your teachers during your speech!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)