Recommended Texbooks/Study Guides for Preliminary HSC? (1 Viewer)

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
Re: Preliminary Books

Aquawhite said:
Excel Physics is good! The new revised one is very detailed and a fat book. The Conquering Chemistry is definitely in everyone's opinion the best Chemistry book available. For mathematics... I believe that almost any textbook is sufficient (just some have harder work than others)... the excel study books for HSC maths are great, kinda brief in some sections... but very good.
Maths In Focus=too basic and easy

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad

study-freak said:
Maths In Focus=too basic and easy
I've never had that textbook for mathematics... and my school doesn't have it anyway, not even in the library :D (and the education section has been deserted by my year and higher, except for myself and one other student)... It's such an unused resource!

Right now, for my accelerated preliminary course I'm using 3 unit Mathematics, by Jones and Couchman. Is that any good in comparison to some others?

h3ll h0und

HSC
maths in focus is good for understanding esp if ur novice ... then u reinforce with camridge/fitzpatrick

study-freak

Bored of
HSC

Aquawhite said:
Right now, for my accelerated preliminary course I'm using 3 unit Mathematics, by Jones and Couchman. Is that any good in comparison to some others?
hmm... I've never used or seen that book before so sorry but I don't know anything about it.

artemis268

HSC
Math: Future Maths, Math Quest (dont sell anymore, have to buy second hand)
Physics: HSC physics by dr. Huq
Chemistry: zumdahl textybook and also buy the complete solution guide

heart-station

HSC
N/A
So for english its best to keep on writing essays and knowing techniques? So lost on what we're learning for english =/

But then wouldn't you need someone to read through your essays? Is there a a good way to study english yourself? O_O

HSC
crappp... our skool gives us textbooks.. well, we borrow them from the school.

for maths we either use maths in focus or cambridge.
each maths class teacher decides what book they want their students to use. im guessing im getting my old maths teacher who said shed be using maths in focus.
if its really that bad should i get a backup text book such as cambridge?

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
x33.datchick.xx said:
crappp... our skool gives us textbooks.. well, we borrow them from the school.

for maths we either use maths in focus or cambridge.
each maths class teacher decides what book they want their students to use. im guessing im getting my old maths teacher who said shed be using maths in focus.
if its really that bad should i get a backup text book such as cambridge?
Cambridge Maths is really good, the explanations are usually understandable, but more importantly it has enough exercises for you to understand the concepts.

h3ll h0und

HSC
Maths: Cambridge preliminary 3U maths, Excel preliminary Extension maths, Understanding maths year 11 3U

Physics: Jacaranda Preliminary Physics
Chemistry: Conquering chemistry

bored.of.u

HSC
h3ll h0und said:
maths in focus is good for understanding esp if ur novice ... then u reinforce with camridge/fitzpatrick
yep thats true hell hound get a strong understanding of the formuale and concepts with matsh in focus ext1 and then develop a stronger understanding with cambridge thats what im doing =D

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
bored.of.u said:
yep thats true hell hound get a strong understanding of the formuale and concepts with matsh in focus ext1 and then develop a stronger understanding with cambridge thats what im doing =D
Sounds like a plan! :D

bored.of.u

HSC
Any recommendations for Bio?
Biology in Focus Preliminary goes through all the syllabus dot points in detail enough to make concise notes from. However i havnt seen many other prelim bio books but this one is definitely good =D

sungkwo

HSC
N/A
I was just wondering, if the 2&3 unit mathematics books by John Smith are any good? I've done the Year 10 one and I found the questions quite challenging, but still interesting. I know its not a must have math book such as cambridge or fitzpatrick, but I'd thought it might me good as a supplement? I'd like some feedback please.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
I was just wondering, if the 2&3 unit mathematics books by John Smith are any good? I've done the Year 10 one and I found the questions quite challenging, but still interesting. I know its not a must have math book such as cambridge or fitzpatrick, but I'd thought it might me good as a supplement? I'd like some feedback please.
I'm not sure if he has an actual textbook - but I know he released a '2U HSC Practice Question by Topic' book - which I found extremely helpful when studying for my HSC.

pillar

HSC
alright I'm just trying to sort out which books I get for Maths because Maths In Focus is not so good.

Do the Fitzpatrick books contain both the prelim and HSC topics in them?

Also does the 3unit course contain or work on the 2unit course, so basically if I buy New Senior Maths 3 Unit by Fitzpatrick, I won't need to buy the 2 Unit edition?

probably asking stupid questions but my school hasn't told me anything in regards to maths..

Brontecat

HSC
what do ppl think of the excel fast track HSC maths book?

i'm using this one as my prelim. and hsc textbook

rolror88

HSC
N/A
what do ppl think of the excel fast track HSC maths book?

i'm using this one as my prelim. and hsc textbook
I find it as a good book for reference and the steps very easy to understand and follow. For me, it's a good book to do some questions when practising a difficult concept. Once I get a good idea, I usually do more questions out of fitz/cambridge. I wouldn't consider it my main textbook; just something to help me get used to doing problems. I wouldn't use it as a main textbook because the questions aren't that difficult and there aren't that many of them to do.

K

khorne

The internet is one of the best resources for studying I think, especially for Mathematics/Science.

There are lots of good reasources: like: this is my physics list:

GBS Physics Home Page (poor site design I must admit, but some Ok explinations, very good for motion btw.)

Relative Velocity - Ground Reference (Nasa, the link pictured is a very decent explination of relative velocity and its applications.)

hypertextbook.com (despite the terrible homepage layout, the tutorials are good, and very indepth (some use calculus, etc))

Maths -

Math Help Forum (problem solving forum)

Art of Problem Solving (deals with olympiad style questions , and very knowledgable community)

These are just a few, and google also does wonders =]

ForbiddenND

HSC
How about an actual revision/study guide for maths like not questions but like an explaination on how to do things e.g. draw hyperbola graphs or something. O yeah and anyone know any revision/study guides for eco,legal and bus I was thinking to get some macquarie ones

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)