Results: Semester 1, 2006 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
Hey, so when the letter comes, it's going to be exactly the same as what's on the website right? Or would there be minor adjustments?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
what971 said:
Hey, so when the letter comes, it's going to be exactly the same as what's on the website right? Or would there be minor adjustments?
no. they give you 20 extra marks for each subject.
and is that zoe in your av?

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
hmmm..

when are these letters going to come? I'm going to have to camp out next to my mailbox from now on.

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
Anyone know if USYD has a supplementary exam system?

My friends at UTS and UNSW can do a supplementary exam if they've got 40-49 for their exam mark.

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
LAWS1006 - 84.

Pretty pissed off at the moment. There's not a lot I wouldn't do to get that one measly mark. On the bright side, that mark means I netted a 91 for the final essay woth 40%, which is pretty heartening since I was getting 78s and 79s for the other assignments.

EDIT: Semester 1 WAM of 85.75. Pending my crap attempt to scab an extra mark for law.

Last edited:

bustinjustin

HSC
c_james said:
LAWS1006 - 84.

Pretty pissed off at the moment. There's not a lot I wouldn't do to get that one measly mark. On the bright side, that mark means I netted a 91 for the final essay woth 40%, which is pretty heartening since I was getting 78s and 79s for the other assignments.

EDIT: Semester 1 WAM of 85.75. Pending my crap attempt to scab an extra mark for law.
Borderline marks hurt. Not like hell, more like a persistent itch that become more widespread the lower the mark.

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
velox said:
All you need is some sport and you'll be in the running for rhodes ;)
Word on the street is that sport isn't all that important nowadays and can easily be substituted by a crapload of extracurricular activities. That said, I haven't really got a start on those.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
c_james said:
LAWS1006 - 84.

dude, you don't need to transfer, so I don't understand why you're bitching about your 84. Take it as it is. Employers will take into account your WAM, rather than your GPA. a bonus .25 to your wam won't place you over a fellow contender for a job.

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
stazi said:
dude, you don't need to transfer, so I don't understand why you're bitching about your 84. Take it as it is. Employers will take into account your WAM, rather than your GPA. a bonus .25 to your wam won't place you over a fellow contender for a job.
Errr...that's not what it's about to me. I know I'm capable of a HD; why shouldn't I be 'bitching'? I don't approve of the 'taking it as it is' mentality - that's just not who I am. I look at what I achieve and acknowledge that there's room for improvement, as we all should do. To some people it's not about pragmatic considerations such as transferring, but more about personal achievement. Also, as velox mentioned, I'm thinking of going for a Rhodes Scholarship, for which a 90+ WAM is the norm among candidates, so yes, in my case a .25 increase in WAM is more important than you may think.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
You were capable of an HD, you obviously underacheived by one mark, so work doubly hard next time.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
c_james said:
Errr...that's not what it's about to me. I know I'm capable of a HD; why shouldn't I be 'bitching'? I don't approve of the 'taking it as it is' mentality - that's just not who I am. I look at what I achieve and acknowledge that there's room for improvement, as we all should do. To some people it's not about pragmatic considerations such as transferring, but more about personal achievement. Also, as velox mentioned, I'm thinking of going for a Rhodes Scholarship, for which a 90+ WAM is the norm among candidates, so yes, in my case a .25 increase in WAM is more important than you may think.
well, you're nowhere near a 90+ wam. most subjects won't give you marks of 90, which is why your wam is 85.
You say you're capable of one, but didn't get it. So you didn't study hard enough. There were simply better candidates than you studying law. Begging for 1 mark won't change how you did.

furthermore, if you're going for a rhodes scholarship, then why don't you take an active part in clubs and socs?

Last edited:

lala2

Banned
HSC
Are 'exam review' days really all they are? Or are they appeals in disguise? I e-mailed the Faculty of Pharmacy office and they said they'd have an 'exam review' day coming up, date TBA so yeah....

Also, does anyone know to whom I should approach for MATH1606? According to the UOS database, it's administered by the Faculty of Science, but I just think it a little too general...should I approach the Science department (even though I'm a pharmacy student) or should I approach the School of Maths directly?

Last edited:

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
stazi said:
well, you're nowhere near a 90+ wam. most subjects won't give you marks of 90, which is why your wam is 85.
You say you're capable of one, but didn't get it. So you didn't study hard enough. There were simply better candidates than you studying law. Begging for 1 mark won't change how you did.

furthermore, if you're going for a rhodes scholarship, then why don't you take an active part in clubs and socs?
In first semester I was juggling ridiculous work hours (20/week) with uni work. I don't think I did too shabbily under the circumstances, but anyone can understand why I'd be disappointed with an almost-HD. Add to that the fact that I was still adjusting to uni work, and jumping straight into clubs and socs wouldn't have been the wisest option. That said, I have noted which socs I'm particularly interested in, and will be getting more involved in semester 2 as I cut down my work hours. Not only this, but I've been persuing extracurricular activities outside the unviersity sphere. You shouldn't hastily assume I've been sitting on my laurels.

As to your comment regarding the WAM - with reduced work hours in semester 2 I'm quite confident I can up it significantly (perhaps not 90 by the end of this year, but at least 86 or 87). Time will till, I guess.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
well if you want a wam of 90 arts/law isn't the right deg for you

lala2

Banned
HSC
I thought Rhodes scholars were only for people who are nearing completion of their degrees?

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
stazi said:
well if you want a wam of 90 arts/law isn't the right deg for you
I'm quite sure the Rhodes committee takes into account that it's much more difficult to get 90+ in Arts and humanities degrees such as Law. Of course, scholastic achievement isn't the only factor.

lala2 said:
I thought Rhodes scholars were only for people who are nearing completion of their degrees?
Most successful applicants begin their preparations in their first year of university study, if not before that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)