Rules for Staff (1 Viewer)

yoddle

is cool
HSC
whatashotbyseve said:
At the risk of stepping into a hornet's nest, I fail to see how an express alert is the domain of groceries/nightfill staff. When we get express alerts in nightfill we just ignore it because frankly we don't have the time to do both checkout's and our job. We have a set amount of hours, if we go over we get drilled by the duty manager. Surely those in charge of checkouts know what days/times there are peak demands and roster accordingly?
Express alerts are usually called because it is unexpectedly busy, and usually pass in ten minutes or so, as i'm sure you're aware, so if front end rostered on enough staff just so we didn't have to call grocery staff in those peak periods the wage budget would blow out massively.

well that's how it is in our store anyway.
it wouldn't be so annoying if service wages weren't being cut and the same time as us being lambasted for calling grocery staff.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
babikakez said:
To store manager:
If you complain that we take staff out of grocery for an express alert, how about you take the time to learn checkouts, and then we can call you.
ha! they'd be so bad.
oh wait and then you had to log a customer complaint about them!
ah the glee

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
Under unexpected duress i can understand it, but our store seems to think that any more than 3 people waiting in express constitutes an express alert. Over time, its become like a boy-who-cried-wolf tale. Nobody actually believes the express alert anymore. Except when the SSM is there who hates nightfill lol.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
OK yeah then it depends on the store then i suppose. We don't even have a nightfill any more.

jirwin

HSC
coles might be different but out service calls - or priorty ones, are usually initiated when its heaps busy - trolleys back towards the aisles. its also initiated by the grocery manager/store manager at times. a lot of the times, the grocery manager says over the pa for all grocery staff to attend service. this normally happens when a call has been put over but no one has came. basically everyone in the store that isnt busy comes.

isnt the main priority of any supermarket, customer service? if so, why is the store manager complaining when all the service staff is trying to do is provide better customer service to the customers.

Last edited:

bdude

HSC
our store manager will always help out on service if he's not busy.

housah0lic

Dr Greenthumb
HSC
yoddle said:
Express alerts are usually called because it is unexpectedly busy, and usually pass in ten minutes or so, as i'm sure you're aware, so if front end rostered on enough staff just so we didn't have to call grocery staff in those peak periods the wage budget would blow out massively.

well that's how it is in our store anyway.
it wouldn't be so annoying if service wages weren't being cut and the same time as us being lambasted for calling grocery staff.

um wot

bethxx

HSC
N/A
Besides the customer service, isnt the way you dress is important too?? I constantly find several chicks turning up not in work pants but with a freakin legging and they get away with it. i mean workplace is not a place to hangout!

HSC
whatashotbyseve said:
At the risk of stepping into a hornet's nest, I fail to see how an express alert is the domain of groceries/nightfill staff. When we get express alerts in nightfill we just ignore it because frankly we don't have the time to do both checkout's and our job. We have a set amount of hours, if we go over we get drilled by the duty manager. Surely those in charge of checkouts know what days/times there are peak demands and roster accordingly?
I don't know about your store, but mine has several signs stating that express alerts are number one priority. I hope you understand that most of "those in charge of checkouts" (ie casual/pt supervisors) get NO SAY whatsoever when it comes to rosters. I always have an express alert on Sundays between 12 and 1.30. This is not my fault. Management have a go at me if one isn't called. But not once do they offer me more staff between this time.

houseah0lic: the individual wages aren't being cut, moreso the wage budget.

bethxx: we had a girl turn up last night in leggings, and our csm didn't send her home. rather she was not allowed to leave her express register until the last customer was out of the store, but she'll probably receive a written warning as well.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
jirwin said:
isnt the main priority of any supermarket, customer service? if so, why is the store manager complaining when all the service staff is trying to do is provide better customer service to the customers.
my point exactly.
at our store the SM's wife is a supervisor, but she thinks exactly the same as him so instead of calling anyone from grocery ever she jumps on register, thus leaving all the customers buying smokes from the service desk to wait, as well as all the bells and supervisor-only shit that needs to be done.
drives us insaaaaaane.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
SUPERMARKET shoppers are lazy, dirty, dumb, smelly and nasty, according to vitriolic online posts by Coles, Woolworths and IGA employees.

Disgruntled staff publicly accuse shoppers of theft - and threaten payback if customers aren’t friendly.

“If you are at the deli or seafood, be nice to the people that are serving you, we can give you the sh***y stuff!” one employee writes on Facebook.

Numerous groups have been set up on the social networking website – some dedicated solely to ranting about customers, company policies and other staff. The pages are all available for the public to see.

On the page, which has 644 members, Shaz Norman writes: “99% of our customers are thieves ... the other 1% are innocent”

The angriest group, with 1294 members, is called “I work at Woolworths and it’s hurting my mental health”.

On a discussion post titled “I feel like a rant”, Tayce McQuaid writes: “The customers ... holy mother of god, how can so many idiots exist, where do they come from?"

Another supermarket employee lists the 10 reasons she hates customers.

Simone Sasha Healy writes: “If you see us wandering around, with our woolies uniform on, YES WE WORK HERE. But it does not mean that we want to answer your questions!”

“After a refurb, like you, we do not know where everything is. That is why there is a little white piece of paper at the end of the aisles, LOOK AT IT, instead of asking the people that work there.”

“And no matter what the question is, everything is down aisle 6 or 7.”

Deli staff are the most venomous. On the Woolworths page a post entitled “The Deli! Observations” is dedicated to venting about customers.

Bronwyn Lovejoy writes: “Ham - in my 1 year and 8 months, I still haven’t found "Leg" ham. Enough said.

“And stop calling it soccerball! gah! do any of the tickets say soccerball? no! F%$*k off and read!”

Later Ms Lovejoy writes: “Arrgh. Go die, stupid customers.”

Customers at smaller independent supermarkets are not immune. IGA staff called their Facebook group “I hate stupid customers because … venting group”.

Julee Riddel starts the rant: “What about when you say "hi how are you?" and they go " gimme a packet of winnie reds ... Or when you put your hand out for the money and they chuck it on the counter ... or cough all over you while asking for a 50g pouch of white ox.”

IGA spokesperson Tim Allerton said the independent grocer actively discourages any discussion about customers in a public forum and suggested employees involved should undertake counselling.

"IGA has a range of counselling programmes in place for employees to discuss their issues with difficult customers and we encourage them to used then on a regular basis," he said.

Woolworth spokesperson Clare Buchanan said the company’s code of conduct cautioned against posting of inappropriate work-related comments on websites and they would be issuing a reminder to all employees.

“Woolworths, like many large employers, is still learning about the impact of online social networking. Whilst they can be a fantastic communication tool, obviously social networking sites can take those everyday workplace frustrations beyond the confines of the staffroom to a much broader online audience,” she said.

“Currently our Employee Code of Conduct cautions against the posting of inappropriate work-related comments on websites - perhaps we need to issue a reminder.”

Coles has yet to comment.
Currently the main article on news.com.au

What do you guys think? I hope they do not get censored/punished, it is a country of free speech after all and what an employee says when they are not at work is their prerogative. But some of the comments are pretty stupid. Not as stupid as the employees who did it on Facebook, where their real names are published. Lol.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
Currently the main article on news.com.au

What do you guys think? I hope they do not get censored/punished, it is a country of free speech after all and what an employee says when they are not at work is their prerogative. But some of the comments are pretty stupid. Not as stupid as the employees who did it on Facebook, where their real names are published. Lol.
ha thats really funny, but the comments in the article weren't even that good, customers do way more annoying things. they should look on here. but i actually hope they don't.

HSC
Yeah the comments they speak about just make us sound stupid. Luckily I've never posted on a facebook group about customers, I just do it here and my name isn't shown :D

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
the rules for customers thread needs to be printed and made compulsory reading for anyone wanting to do anything involving recieving customer service.

or like an IQ test or something. "you must be at least this mentally capable to shop"

benotdavid

HSC
I hate it when (especially in family businesses) staff talk to you and they have earphones in their ears. When they do, i feel like pulling them out of their ears myself.

greekgun

HSC
the rules for customers thread needs to be printed and made compulsory reading for anyone wanting to do anything involving recieving customer service.

or like an IQ test or something. "you must be at least this mentally capable to shop"
lol i wish we could do that. Then working in customer service would be so good and we could actually genuinely smile when working.
But i gave a link to the customer service manager at the coles where i work at and she said she never laughed so hard.

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
Fellow Employees

We have a thread about shit customers, so why not shit co-workers

Let out all your ill-feelings towards your fellow co-workers and share the funny stories had behind the counter

I worked with a woman called Robin today. She's been at the newsagents for like, 3 weeks. I have worked there since December 07. She is like 100 years old and ffs she is SO EFFIN SLOW. Usually after a week, you pick up on everything there is to know.... but she hasn't. The only reason boss man hired her was because she has "previous experience in a newsagents"... previous meaning 30 years ago. I started to serve a customer a full minute after she started hers, same product they were buying and my customer had the change in their hands before Robin's did.

GAH :spzz:

My manager who is awesome listened to my complaints and just said "You can't teach an old dog new tricks." Ha

Last edited:

Kiim2507

HSC
Re: Fellow Employees

LOLOLOL
Well I work with a lot of asians and half the time I have to translate what they're saying to the customers because they can't understand them.

Also this other guy I work with thinks he's the best at everything and he's always telling us off even though he's not a manager or supervisor or anything >.< he's like "Don't put the serviettes on the counter" even though we all do that cos it's way easier then bendiing down every 5 seconds and the managers don't care.
And he's always telling us what to do then goes and sits in the kitchen and does nothing >=@

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)