• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Russia 'goes to war' with Georgia (1 Viewer)

HSC
I'm....not talking about the collapse of USA as an "empire", I'm talking simply about the collapse of it's economy. This cannot really be compared to any other country or nation state, because from what I know, no country in the past has suffered from the same problems as USA does economically, due to the same reason.

Admiral Nelson

Generalfeldmarschall
HSC
Admiral Nelson said:
So, South Ossetia having a referendum to join Russia, though whether the results are genuine or slightly altered to make it look like more of a landslide or not is unsure, I would assume the result will be an Anschluss with Russia into either a South Ossetian Oblast or more likely part of the Ossetia Oblast. Abkhazia with increased independence, either de-facto or proper independence, with the aim to keep Georgia weak.

That's my guess.
Well, I'm feeling pretty good about my appraisal of the situation a few weeks ago, seeing as the end result seems to be the independence of Abkhazia and the incorporation of South Ossetia.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Starcraftmazter you utter deadshit. Look up a thing called logistic growth, for a start.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
My avatar is also from SomethingAwful. I visit when somebody directs me to the occasional insightful gem there. I used to follow the pranks section and JeffK when I was a kid. I especially liked Lowtax's ICQ space robot prank.

I frequent there about once every 3 months. It's one of the cesspools of the Internet, but it's better than 4chan.

Aryanbeauty

HSC
Starcraftmazter said:
I don't think it's laughable at all. The current economic crisis has the potential to cause a complete economic collapse in USA.
Current economic crisis shows resilience of US economy, depite the credit crunch US economy shows 3.3% of GDP growth in the last quarter where is recession hello?? Even if US returns to great depression era like economy, it will still be 10 times bigger and stronger than Russian economy. in fact, the economy of Texas or California alone are bigger and stronger than Russia LOL! :lol:

And to make it perfectly clear, I'm not saying it will happen in the very distant future, I'm saying it will happen sooner rather than later, mainly due to the supply of oil being outstripped by demand. Such a key resource has the potential to cause the problems which exist in the fundamentally flawed US economy.
If US economy collapse for the unlikely scenario, the first to starve are 1.3 billion Chinese and 130 milion Russians.

Admiral Nelson

Generalfeldmarschall
HSC
If such a calamity were to happen the first thing you'd see Russia doing is invading and annexing the Ukraine, and with the breadbasket of the Don basin, it'd have all the food it would need.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Admiral Nelson said:
If such a calamity were to happen the first thing you'd see Russia doing is invading and annexing the Ukraine, and with the breadbasket of the Don basin, it'd have all the food it would need.
Haha, but you gotta admit, the Russian economy would still collapse, and the country would still go into Chaos.

HSC
Slidey said:
Starcraftmazter you utter deadshit. Look up a thing called logistic growth, for a start.
So did you watch the video I linked to?

Aryanbeauty said:
Current economic crisis shows resilience of US economy, depite the credit crunch US economy shows 3.3% of GDP growth in the last quarter where is recession hello??
GDP means shit all. People are losing their houses, people are losing jobs, grocery prices are sky-rocketing, people's way of life is getting drastically changed.

Aryanbeauty said:
Even if US returns to great depression era like economy, it will still be 10 times bigger and stronger than Russian economy. in fact, the economy of Texas or California alone are bigger and stronger than Russia LOL! :lol:
This is very subjective. The economy of USA is anything but strong. It has a monumental budget deficit, trade deficit, public deficit, etc. USA is having to borrow money from countries like Russia, to keep their economy running.

Aryanbeauty said:
If US economy collapse for the unlikely scenario, the first to starve are 1.3 billion Chinese and 130 milion Russians.
Are you completely stupid? China is by far the world's largest producer of food, and Russia imports nothing of value from USA. In fact, USA is the world's largest importer of food - if anyone was to starve, it would be them.

By the way, do you realise that only 3% more people (of the total respective population) live below the poverty line in Russia than USA? Given their population difference, USA actually has significantly more people living in poverty than Russia.

Funny ain't it? How you're such a hypocrite?

Admiral Nelson

Generalfeldmarschall
HSC
Starcraftmazter said:
In fact, USA is the world's largest importer of food - if anyone was to starve, it would be them.
The USA currently subsidises many farmers NOT to farm, for a whole variety of reasons. If the US really needed to, it could probably increase grain production by at least 25%.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Aryanbeauty said:
in fact, the economy of Texas or California alone are bigger and stronger than Russia LOL! :lol:
You really prove how stupid you are everytime you open your mouth.

Russia's economy is bigger than both Texas and California combined to my memory. (Which are the two most powertful states in terms of PPP in the United States.)

So you are completely wrong in saying that.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Admiral Nelson said:
Most of the world's economies would come pretty close to collapse. At least, temporarily.
Definitely. America's economy is such an important link it'd take down pretty much every country.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Admiral Nelson said:
The USA currently subsidises many farmers NOT to farm, for a whole variety of reasons. If the US really needed to, it could probably increase grain production by at least 25%.
Such is the lunacy of capitalism. Instead of producing that grain and shipping it off to places where there are people starving, they decrease potential grain/food production. That's absolute lunacy, no matter how you spin it.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Slidey said:
Definitely. America's economy is such an important link it'd take down pretty much every country.
Which is probably why Mossadeq, and Saddam Hussein were so harshly criminalised. The world economy has become somewhat dependant on the U.S petro dollar. But Slidey, a fact you're missing is that although there will be a global economic recession, each independant country can still trade, and in practice if handled properly it should not have too much negative effect on countries which are producing, rather than relying on doppelganger dollars, and debt, and other such capitalist nonsense.

Countries in the Australasian region will suffer least in that respect.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Slidey said:
Um, actually, he's right (remember PPP isn't used for economic strength comparisons, nominal is).
Strange. I seem to remember it was in the 2.5 billion region.
I might be wrong though.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
sam04u said:
Which is probably why Mossadeq, and Saddam Hussein were so harshly criminalised. The world economy has become somewhat dependant on the U.S petro dollar. But Slidey, a fact you're missing is that although there will be a global economic recession, each independant country can still trade, and in practice if handled properly it should not have too much negative effect on countries which are producing, rather than relying on doppelganger dollars, and debt, and other such capitalist nonsense.

Countries in the Australasian region will suffer least in that respect.
What fact am I missing?

The collapse of any global power: Australia, China, Canada, America, Italy, Germany, Russia, India, Japan, etc, would cause huge problems for every country (some directly, others because it's a web). The collapse of America would be ten times worse.

Things would recover eventually, but likely not before most places declared martial law and saw mass poverty and riots. Countries could trade all they want, but it wouldn't be in the same economic or political environment as before; it'd be a lot darker, for a time.

sam04u said:
Strange. I seem to remember it was in the 2.5 billion region.
I might be wrong though.
You were using PPP. PPP is for internal economic comparisons such as "How expensive is the cost of living?"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)