• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Russia 'goes to war' with Georgia (3 Viewers)

HSC
Admiral Nelson said:
The USA currently subsidises many farmers NOT to farm, for a whole variety of reasons. If the US really needed to, it could probably increase grain production by at least 25%.
From what I remember hearing on the news in the last year or so, the US government subsidises farmers because of poor yields, due to environmental and weather conditions, such as droughts, floods and typhoons.

I don't believe at all that there is less agricultural output in the states by choice, if you believe to the contrary I would love to know the reasons behind this.

A lot of agricultural produce of certain grains is going biofuels - for example in USA specifically, next year, 1/3 of the corn supply will go directly into biofuels. This coupled with the aforementioned poor weather conditions in the last several seasons, results in rising prices for basic grains. Rice is also getting more expensive along with wheat. This year both of those grains have been priced much higher than in recent history.

Worldwide grain/food prices have increased by 83% in the last three years, seems like the sensible thing right now would be to produce as much grain and other food products as possible.

Slidey said:
What fact am I missing?

The collapse of any global power: Australia, China, Canada, America, Italy, Germany, Russia, India, Japan, etc, would cause huge problems for every country (some directly, others because it's a web). The collapse of America would be ten times worse.
It's not as black and white as that. You need to consider the place of each of those countries in the global economy.

What important goods and services to they export? What important goods and services to they import? In what quantities (measured in units, not dollars) do these imports and exports occur? Whom are their biggest import and export partners? Could these goods and services be obtained from another country? Could they be effectively home produced, given the potential dire need for them?

Australia for one is in a very sound place. Australia makes enough food to feed a population of over 3 times it's own, and it is rich in most natural resources, with the exception of oil. Most of Australia's trading partners are Asian countries, especially China and Japan. Wouldn't be hurt much if something happened to USA for instance.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Starcraftmazter said:
It's not as black and white as that. You need to consider the place of each of those countries in the global economy.
Potentially true if it were any country other than America that collapsed. But even, say, Australia is extremely important in the global economy - we produce much of the world's coal and uranium (the two main energy sources of the world), plus a host of other minerals and goods.

What important goods and services to they export? What important goods and services to they import? In what quantities (measured in units, not dollars) do these imports and exports occur? Whom are their biggest import and export partners? Could these goods and services be obtained from another country? Could they be effectively home produced, given the potential dire need for them?
All moot once their partners collapse.

Australia for one is in a very sound place. Australia makes enough food to feed a population of over 3 times it's own, and it is rich in most natural resources, with the exception of oil. Most of Australia's trading partners are Asian countries, especially China and Japan. Wouldn't be hurt much if something happened to USA for instance.
Um, Australia doesn't produce enough food to feed 60 million people. In fact, pretty sure it doesn't produce enough food to feed 20 million. I believe water is the main factor here. Do you have a reference for that claim?

Australia doesn't produce fertiliser, meaning even if we were secure in food, we'd still be up shit creek. No pun intended.

Um, Australia produces plenty of oil.

Oil - production: 572,400 bbl/day (2005 est.)
Oil - consumption: 903,200 bbl/day (2005 est.)
Oil - exports: 333,200 bbl/day (2004)
Oil - imports: 611,400 bbl/day (2004)
Oil - proved reserves: 1.437 billion bbl (1 January 2006 est.)

Anyway, oil isn't a concern - we run from coal and gas (which again, we have plenty of).

And lastly, it's not a matter of food. You can have all the food and oil in the world, your economy is still going to collapse (because your trade partners have collapsed), which generally means, riots, chaos, crime, martial law, and poverty. This would be temporary, but that still means probably 10 or more years of darkness and recovery.

The point of this is that your claim that America will collapse is a) wrong and unjustified, b) devastating if correct, c) not in Russia's best interests, d) very sad - the loss of life would be immense, not just here, but especially in places like Africa.

Last edited:
HSC
Slidey said:
Um, Australia doesn't produce enough food to feed 60 million people. In fact, pretty sure it doesn't produce enough food to feed 20 million. I believe water is the main factor here. Do you have a reference for that claim?
I remember that figure from Highschool science. I'll try to find a source.

Slidey said:
Um, Australia produces plenty of oil.
My point was not that Australia produced no oil (and in fact I did not claim this), but simply not enough.

Australian oil production reached it's peak back in the 70s, and it has been declining for a while.

Slidey said:
Anyway, oil isn't a concern - we run from coal and gas (which again, we have plenty of).
Running transportation of coal and gas can be a bit of a problem.

Slidey said:
The point of this is that your claim that America will collapse is a) wrong and unjustified, b) devastating if correct, c) not in Russia's best interests, d) very sad - the loss of life would be immense, not just here, but especially in places like Africa.
It's not unjustified or wrong, it's explained clearly in the documentary I linked. It's only about 50 mins, I'm sure you can find the time to watch it.
In addition, there was a secret congressional meeting earlier this year (only the 3rd in USA history to be secret - and not secret as in nobody knew about it, but secret as in the media and anyone else was not allowed to be there), which discussed this very matter, as leaked by certain congressmen.

It would be devastating, and it would generally not be in anyone's interest on a purely economic level, but it wouldn't be as devastating to Russia and China as claimed by the Aryanbeauty character. I would imagine, they would enjoy the newfound freedom.

The only real unique thing produced in USA which is not produced anywhere else to the same degree is entertainment for English-speaking countries. Everything else produced in USA is produced elsewhere to some degree. Australia's main imports from USA would probably be electronics and IT equipment. Relatively good to have, but hardly devastating not to, as much of the same equipment in produced in other countries as well.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Your grasp of economics is child-like at best.

Captain Hero

Banned
HSC
N/A
Starcraftmazter said:
It's not unjustified or wrong, it's explained clearly in the documentary I linked. It's only about 50 mins, I'm sure you can find the time to watch it.
In addition, there was a secret congressional meeting earlier this year (only the 3rd in USA history to be secret - and not secret as in nobody knew about it, but secret as in the media and anyone else was not allowed to be there), which discussed this very matter, as leaked by certain congressmen.
Some sources would be sweet, dude.
EDIT: I'm a pro-Kucinich as the next dude, but.. come on.

It would be devastating, and it would generally not be in anyone's interest on a purely economic level, but it wouldn't be as devastating to Russia and China as claimed by the Aryanbeauty character. I would imagine, they would enjoy the newfound freedom.
Yes because diminshed trade always leads to increased freedom...

The only real unique thing produced in USA which is not produced anywhere else to the same degree is entertainment for English-speaking countries. Everything else produced in USA is produced elsewhere to some degree. Australia's main imports from USA would probably be electronics and IT equipment. Relatively good to have, but hardly devastating not to, as much of the same equipment in produced in other countries as well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasdaq

HSC
Captain Hero said:
Some sources would be sweet, dude.
Due to the fact that the meeting was a closed-doors, by it's very nature, there can be no primary sources.

Here are some videos which you may find interesting. The bottom one there took place immediately prior to the meeting, and is a recording of the US congress, and the protests by certain congressmen against holding a secret meeting.
http://starcraftmazter.net/?q=node/88

More broadly,
http://www.google.com.au/search?q=1...=com.ubuntu:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a

Captain Hero said:
Yes because diminshed trade always leads to increased freedom...
Trade is not the only thing which occurs in the world, I meant more in terms of foreign affairs and foreign policy. I'm sure Russia would appreciate not being surrounded by American radars, anti-missile systems and military basis on all of it's sides.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Slidey said:
Sorry, did you have a point? Both Starcraftmazter and Nelson have posted equally long stuff. I don't pull Nelson's posts apart because they actually make, you know, sense compared to Starcraftmazter's insane rantings.

Fair enough that you reject what I say because it's not purely anti-American, pro-China ranting - I get that stuff makes you happy. But if you're going claim I'm wrong, at least have the balls to back it up.
Sorry Slidey. I have the balls, just not the time and patience like you. I get the anti-Russia and pro-American stuff makes you happy too.

Tell me, they're talking about sanctioning Russia now. Do you think America equally deserves sanctions for Iraq and Afghanistan?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Omnidragon said:
Sorry Slidey. I have the balls, just not the time and patience like you. I get the anti-Russia and pro-American stuff makes you happy too.

Tell me, they're talking about sanctioning Russia now. Do you think America equally deserves sanctions for Iraq and Afghanistan?
I'm actually anti-Russia as much as I am anti-America, and as pro-Russia as I am pro-America. Read my posts and you'll notice that. I like both countries and wish them prosperity.

Captain Hero

Banned
HSC
N/A
Omnidragon said:

Hahahahahahahahahahaha both of those claims are a fucking pipe dream.

Admiral Nelson

Generalfeldmarschall
HSC
Honestly, America's intervention in Iraq is ultimately very similar to Russia's intervention in Georgia. Completely different reasons and motives, but it's the same in both situations in that it was a superpower either choosing a fight, or escalating one, with a small power, resulting in the stomping of the smaller nation.

And sanctioning Russia would be silly for the West, especially Europe. The gas and oil Russia is selling to the Europeans is really important, and with each day, Russia is diversifying it's customers, so it won't cripple Russia if it has to pull the sales. If the West do put sanctions on Russia, it would be very hypocritical. But global politcs, and American foreign relations in particular, are based on the double standard.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Admiral Nelson said:
Honestly, America's intervention in Iraq is ultimately very similar to Russia's intervention in Georgia. Completely different reasons and motives, but it's the same in both situations in that it was a superpower either choosing a fight, or escalating one, with a small power, resulting in the stomping of the smaller nation.

And sanctioning Russia would be silly for the West, especially Europe. The gas and oil Russia is selling to the Europeans is really important, and with each day, Russia is diversifying it's customers, so it won't cripple Russia if it has to pull the sales. If the West do put sanctions on Russia, it would be very hypocritical. But global politcs, and American foreign relations in particular, are based on the double standard.
Okay, there, finally it's settled. No longer do I have to question whether or not you're absolute moron. You've answered the question once and for all.

Iraq is a country on the other side of the world, of which America has no legitimate conflicting interests, which had never commited an act of aggression against America ever, rather the opposite they had been under American economic sanctions for a decade. Iraq was lead by a dictator who fell out with America.

Now lets compare that to the other conflict.

Georgia is a country which shares a border with Russia, Russia has an interest in the South Ossetian Russian Passport holders which Georgia atttacked unprovoked, Georgia did not bother to discuss the matter with it's neighbour Russia which is extremely offensive as there were Russian peace keepers in the independant Ossetian "province".

If you do not see how different of a war it is you are an imbecile.

Admiral Nelson

Generalfeldmarschall
HSC
I was saying it was similar in that it was a war in which a superpower stomped down a nation which couldn't defend itself. Both wars were ultimately unnecessary, and quite obviously as a result of belligerent actions on behalf of the larger nation.

Sure, Russia has a legitimate reason, but it didn't need to push the war anywhere near as far as it did. And in that way, the wars are similar.

Honestly, the way I see it, Russia is far more justified to do what it did than America was to enter Iraq. The bolded statement you took out of my post was only referring to the actual general facts of the conflicts, and not the specifics, as, of course the specifics are greatly different.

And no legitimate conflicting interests? Because the war has absolutely nothing to do with oil, or anything... And I'm the one who's apparently proving myself the idiot...

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Admiral Nelson said:
I was saying it was similar in that it was a war in which a superpower stomped down a nation which couldn't defend itself. Both wars were ultimately unnecessary, and quite obviously as a result of belligerent actions on behalf of the larger nation.
It's common sense "Admiral" Nelson. If your military is going to be deployed for a military exercise, or for a war, you contact your neighbours to let them know what you're planning, unless you're intentionally trying to intimidate them, or commit an act of aggression against them. Now thinking logically. Why was Russia not contacted? Russia could atleast have pulled out it's peace keepers stationed there if we're to believe Saakashvili did not know Russia would respond in the way it did. The reason Russia was not contacted was precisely because Georgia knew Russia would disapprove. So rather than avoiding the conflict and going the diplomatic route, they chose instead to launch an unprovoked attack against the South Ossetians which resulted in the deaths of some 2,000 civilians.

Where is the justification in that? What's more is a great deal of South Ossetians are Russian passport holders. So Russia acted in an exemplary way to defend it's territorial ally.

Sure, Russia has a legitimate reason, but it didn't need to push the war anywhere near as far as it did. And in that way, the wars are similar.
Read what I said above. This conflict which lasted such a short period of time could have been avoided if Georgia did what was expected of them. If they had contacted the Russian authorities, there would have been no war. Rather, they chose to attack a territorial ally of Russia which is filled with Russian passport holders.

What's even more astonishing is you compared a 5 year occupation, where the leader of the country was executed, 1,000,000 of it's people perished, 4,000,000 of it's people homeless or displaced to a minor skirmish on a border to enforce an agreement between Georgia and Russia by extension.

And no legitimate conflicting interests? Because the war has absolutely nothing to do with oil, or anything... And I'm the one who's apparently proving myself the idiot...
If you read what Slidey said a few pages back, you seemed to be somebody who spoke sense. But with that statement you proved how little you actually know.

HSC
Admiral Nelson said:
Honestly, America's intervention in Iraq is ultimately very similar to Russia's intervention in Georgia.
Yeh, except Russia didn't completely destroy the Georgian military, occupy the entire country, install a puppet government, and maintain troops all over the country for years to come, exploit it's oil resources, set aside "large" sums of money for it's reconstruction, only to have them stolen by a corrupt company *cough Halliburton cough* which relocated it's business to outside of the US to avoid investigations.

Just small, minor differences.

Admiral Nelson

Generalfeldmarschall
HSC
sam04u said:
It's common sense "Admiral" Nelson. If your military is going to be deployed for a military exercise, or for a war, you contact your neighbours to let them know what you're planning, unless you're intentionally trying to intimidate them, or commit an act of aggression against them. Now thinking logically. Why was Russia not contacted? Russia could atleast have pulled out it's peace keepers stationed there if we're to believe Saakashvili did not know Russia would respond in the way it did. The reason Russia was not contacted was precisely because Georgia knew Russia would disapprove. So rather than avoiding the conflict and going the diplomatic route, they chose instead to launch an unprovoked attack against the South Ossetians which resulted in the deaths of some 2,000 civilians.
I'm distantly related to Horatio Nelson, hence the name. Also, Russia has been doing several training runs for just this instance. I think it was about three months ago where they basically mock-invaded Georgia on an exercise in the Russian Caucuses. I fully support Russia in this matter, but the fact is they've been precipitating this conflict for a long while, putting random punitive taxes on Georgian imports and banning outright Georgian wines, for no other reason other than to just aggravate the Georgians. The Russian handing out of passports to the South Ossetians was further only to give the Russians a legitimate cassus belli for this exact situation.

Look, I believe Russia is in the right here. BUT, I recognise the fact that it wasn't just a matter of the Georgians randomly invading, but the end result of half a decade of Russian manipulations and machinations. If Russia was just protecting the South Ossetians or it's peacekeepers, they could have easily stopped at the South Ossetian border, rather than taking over the northern third of Georgia.

If you want me to say it again, I will. Yes, the Georgians initiated this conflict, but it was the Russians that played a large part in setting up this situation, and it was the Russian decision alone to pursue the Georgians into Georgia. Again, I agree with the Russian course of action (and if you'll note, what I'm saying is indeed in line with what I've said for the last month), but I recognise that Russia played a large role in setting up this conflict and following it up to the extent it did.

Where is the justification in that? What's more is a great deal of South Ossetians are Russian passport holders. So Russia acted in an exemplary way to defend it's territorial ally.
Yeah, passports given to them for this instance. It's a legitimate reason, but surely even you will note the fact it's a very sketchy deal, giving passports to foreign nationals to act as a cassus belli. Funnily enough, the Russians are doing the same thing in the Crimea.

Read what I said above. This conflict which lasted such a short period of time could have been avoided if Georgia did what was expected of them. If they had contacted the Russian authorities, there would have been no war. Rather, they chose to attack a territorial ally of Russia which is filled with Russian passport holders.
Look, again, I support the Russians here. I think that Georgia was incredibly stupid to do what it did, and incredibly misjudging of the West's commitment, but at the same time, I can at least recognise the dubious nature of giving foreign nationals passports. This isn't even counting the fact that Russia technically recognised Georgia's right to rule over South Ossetia as this point.

What's even more astonishing is you compared a 5 year occupation, where the leader of the country was executed, 1,000,000 of it's people perished, 4,000,000 of it's people homeless or displaced to a minor skirmish on a border to enforce an agreement between Georgia and Russia by extension.
I'm not comparing a bloody occupation to the Georgian conflict. I'm comparing the initial invasion. And, I find it hard to believe one in thirty Iraqi's were killed and that one in seven was homeless under Saddam Hussein. But even if that's the case, it wasn't why the US invaded. It's a moot point.

If you read what Slidey said a few pages back, you seemed to be somebody who spoke sense. But with that statement you proved how little you actually know.
I don't pretend to know all, and I don't pretend to be an expert on the war in Iraw. I do, however, think that I have a really good grasp on the Georgian-Russian conflict. Feel free to disagree.

Yeh, except Russia didn't completely destroy the Georgian military, occupy the entire country, install a puppet government, and maintain troops all over the country for years to come, exploit it's oil resources, set aside "large" sums of money for it's reconstruction, only to have them stolen by a corrupt company *cough Halliburton cough* which relocated it's business to outside of the US to avoid investigations.
Again, I should have qualified I meant initial invasion. I'm not comparing the occupation and aftermath, nor the causes.

Last edited:

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
I agree.

Russia precipated the conflict by punitive taxes and restrictions on wine. It totally had nothing to do with Georgia seeking entry into a military treaty with an organisation which seeks to isolate Russia, or Georgia attempting to join the European Union, both of which are well out of bounds for Georgia.

I would start a war if another country outright banned my wine.

Nice try though.

/sarcasm

Admiral Nelson

Generalfeldmarschall
HSC
Nothing better to do but pick out one line, use it to argue something that I didn't say, and ignore the rest of the well constructed post?

I've said many times that both states were responsible, and I've said that of the two, Georgia has the most to answer for. I'm just saying, that Russia is far from blameless in all this, and that in many ways it bears partial responsibility.

HSC
Russians had to take out the military bases of Georgia and supply lines which supplied their forces to South Ossetia and nearby at Abkhazia. It's unfortunately they could not stop at the border, but the Georgians really brought it upon themselves. There were also reports of counter-attacks against South Ossetian infrastructure by the Georgians.

Those reports about Russia controlling a half or third of Georgia is complete and utter nonsense, Russian troops barely went past the border, and bombed the military base in Gori a bit - never aiming for civilian targets - unlike the Georgian military.

Simply put, Saakashvili is an attention-whore, fanatic, psychopath dictator. He always says whatever crap he wants, this much should be clear.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)