• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Schapelle Corby - Innocent or Gulity? (1 Viewer)

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
FLAVA said:
Did anyone read the thing in last weeks paper? i think it was in the Saturday herald. It was like a massive article and mostly points for her.. it really made me think she could be innocent.. points that were made included:

- why would she import it over to Indonesia to sell when its worth ALOT more here

- why was it in full view of anyone opening the bag, rather than hidden behind or at the bottom

It also explained about baggage handlers transport drugs in passengers luggage for another handler to pick up (who would have been in sydney) and they could have either just missed it or it was on the wrong flight altogether. I dont know about the rest of you but being a bit naive I wasnt aware that this happened!!

So yeah anyway I did think she was guilty before but after reading that it definitely puts doubt in my mind.

yeh but we want a show. something along the lines of public execution. networks getting killer rating , lots of money , everyone is happy, less drugs , more BOS bitching yey

[trent]

HSC
Ah i don't know who to believe...i still think she's guilty (doesn't notice a 4kg weight difference, come on!) , but the media are really pushing her innocence. S'pose they like pushing the 'aussie battler' image

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
how do they do the death penalty there anyway
Is it an injection, machine gun (firing squad) or what

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Firing squad.

The original q is pointless, none of you (or at least, most of you) are in no position to make any judgement whatsoever.

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
i dont think she deserves the death penalty. for some reason i think shes innocent, incredibly stupid, but still innocent

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Ranger Stacie said:
i dont think she deserves the death penalty. for some reason i think shes innocent, incredibly stupid, but still innocent
Theres good reason to think she is innocent, cause last time i went overseas customs check u before u leave a country, and Australia has on of the best customs ppl in the world, so they would have found the weed, another reason
, supposedly its cheaper in Indonesia to purchase weed according to others in this thread, so why buy here at a higher price and sell there at a lower price?
This is why she is likely innocent, quite stupid and niave, but innocent

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I don't think she is guilty. What kind of idiot would bring drugs from Australia to Bali? You could make far more money selling the drugs in Australia, plus you wouldn't be at risk of being caught at the airport.

I read a feature in SMH last week about it, the mishandling of evidence is quite appalling. An answer of guilt or innocence could have been proven if there hadn't been so many screw ups by authorities etc.

Something about it makes me think she is innocent. Even if she is guilty, I don't think that she should face the death sentence. People do far worse things in this world than smuggle drugs.....

S

Sheehan :)

FReaking the bitch chose to smuggle grugs shes gonna have to deal with the consequences...bullshit they were planted its not like anyone is gonna do it just for laughs............and far out when she talks u can see she's lying...DEATH BY BAGUNA!

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I dunno..

Personally, i feel she's guilty..

if she is innoncent, who planted the stuff in her bag and why/where:

1. Her friend and / or brother (just saying not implying)
2. A customs baggage officer in Bali when the bag got off the plane (who had to have known what is in the bag prior to the luggage coming down))
3. In Bali someone quick enough to do it after it was off the plane and before she grabbed it.
4. Corby

Yes it is strange look at the options.
1. Wanted some skunk to smoke in Bali - ok you can get it in bali but does everyone know that?
2. Ok, a lot of dope but how is he going to get it back and would he risk $80,000 to customs officers for it?
3. Again why and how to get it back?
4. Young and dumb

Look, I am not saying she did it but it is obvious there two real alternatives.

1. She did it
2. Someone else was willing to risk that amount and it had to have come off the plane.

The guy handling the bags whilst can be easily corrupted for about 10 aus dollars has have to have knowledge of the board for starters.

hatty

Banned
i personally believe she is innocent, but even if she is guilty, i dont think the indonesians should kill by firing squad. i am not against capital punishment, but i do think it should be reserved for more serious crimes like molesting kids and being guy sebastian or something.

drugs is bad, but i dont think people who smuggle a few kilos of drugs around for obviously personal use should be shot in the face like a dog. because dogs always get shot in the face.

im not an expert on law and how international law works and all that trash, but i feel she should be punished under australian law, meaning if she is guilty, she gets sent back to australia and is punished for smuggling drugs under our law. but im certain there are reasons why that cant happen. i just feel that the indonesians have no right to shoot one of our people even if they are found guilty of smoking some shit.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
the problem is.. when the bali bombers were put on trial john howard said he does not support the death penalty, but he believes the laws of the countries should be followed etc..

So really, he'd have a hard time protesting this.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
If anyone can access the News Review from SMH the weekend before last there is a really in depth article in there about this.

Reasons why people would have put the drugs in her bag:

-She took a domestic flight from Brisbane to Sydney I think and then flew on to Bali.... it was connecting so she didn't handle her own baggage. One idea is that someone at Brisbane airport put the drugs in her bag (possibly when loading baggage on to the plane) to be picked up in Sydney by the baggage unloaders because the retail price for the drugs are higher in Sydney than in Brisbane.... but for some reason they didn't get the opportunity to take the drugs out at Sydney and they went on to the Bali flight. Apparently many baggage handlers have been convicted of being involved in drug smuggling etc. They ring the people in the other city, tell them what the bag looks like or nowdays they can send a photo on a mobile, so the person gets the drugs out at the destination airport.
-Also someone could have had the drugs on them at Bali airport, then panicked when they had to go through customs, and put the drugs in to Schapelle's bag.

There are so many dodgy things that people did so now a lot of the evidence is missing. E.g. the bag of drugs was never fingerprinted to see if Schapelle's prints were on it, none of the security footage from the airports was kept or retrieved, and Schapelle's bags weren't weighed when she got to Bali... if the bags had been 4 kgs heavier than they were in Sydney it would prove that the drugs weren't in there when Schapelle boarded the plane. But no one responded to her repeated requests to reweigh the bags.

Plus the judge for the trial and many of the witnesses speak very poor English, adding to confusion and chaos. Corby can apparently hardly understand the judge.

K

katie_tully

She has the benefit of my doubt. I seriously can't imagine a seasoned traveller to this area would be so stupid as to try and smuggle drugs.
If she wanted drugs for recreational purposes instead of selling them, you wouldn't take the drugs with you, considering the cheap retail price.

We can't compare this girl to the actions of the Bali bombers. Their actions were motivated and created the deaths of over 200 people - they're guilty.

Schapelle Corby? Guilty, I don't believe so. If she is convicted, we a sentencing to death an innocent woman. If she is guilty, and is convicted, I think she should be sent back to Australia to face our judicial system, considering the drugs were supposedly planted IN Australia.

This is the whole problem with the death penalty. There have been cases when even Forensics have failed to identify the correct person, therefore leading to the death of an innocent man. It's only ever sometime after the execution that the mistake has been realised. This day in age I don't believe we need to execute. I find it has flaws and that it is considered the "easy way" out for somebody who's murdered another person in cold blood.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
katie_tully said:
I don't believe we need to execute. I find it has flaws and that it is considered the "easy way" out for somebody who's murdered another person in cold blood.
so yuo dont tihnk for any crime there should be executions?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I read something from amnesty international that said that it is actually more expensive to use the death penalty in developed nations than to imprison for life because of the complicated system of appeals etc.... it costs governments more to use the death penalty. I personally don't see a point to it. I have also read studies where it showed that the death penalty did not act as an increased deterrent to crime in nations where it was implemented.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
braindrainedAsh said:
I read something from amnesty international that said that it is actually more expensive to use the death penalty in developed nations than to imprison for life because of the complicated system of appeals etc.... it costs governments more to use the death penalty. I personally don't see a point to it. I have also read studies where it showed that the death penalty did not act as an increased deterrent to crime in nations where it was implemented.
for some people who had someone killed who was close to them, knowing that the killer is dead is a big relief.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
She may be innocent, but the truth is she just has little going for her...
She stuffed up majorly by grabbing for the bag, then when asked what the substance was she answered 'pot'.

However i do smell a bit of a coverup, while the outside bag was contaminated by finger prints from the lousy indonesian customs officials, indonesia has not allowed the AFP to run a print test on the INSIDE bag.

Nor has the AFP been allowed to test the drug to ascertain where it came from...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)