• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Scholarships (Co-op and others) (1 Viewer)

Stabilo123

HSC
Not sure if this is in the right section but

Is anyone applying for Scholarships?? I am particularly interested in the UNSW Co-op Scholarship. Is there anyone out there who has gotten this scholarship or could give me some advice on getting a scholarship. I am going to apply for scholarships and the University of Sydney and UNSW

qwerty44

HSC
Well you just fill out the application form for Co-Op, then if they accept you get an interview, if you pass that you wait for your ATAR to come out, if that is enough you get the scholarship. For Co-Op you should untertake leadership roles and participate as much as you can with the community and school (words of michaeljennings who got the scholarship), and do well academically.

barbernator

HSC
my brother is currently on the co-op scholarship for engineering

Examine

same
HSC
So what activities at school should you do if you are thinking of applying for co-op?

qwerty44

HSC
Prefect, school captain, join groups like catechist, get involved with the community (social justice activities), help out at school, college band, choir, debating, public speaking, mock trial...

basically get involved!

they don't want an absolute nerd who doesn't see daylight. Someone with good results and also is social and active at school and within the community through leadership etc.

Last edited:

qwerty44

HSC
Well schools should have some sort of prefect or src system. they also give you the opportunity for good academic results. and if it doesnt have the rest, you can get involved outside of school, through charity and community activities

Accuracy

HSC
N/A
are we supposed to apply whilst we're still in year 12? before we get our ATAR and do the HSC external exams?

qwerty44

HSC
Yes. When you register, you get until the end of September to submit your application. With that application goes an Assessment Report from your school on Year 11 and Year 12. An ATAR estimate is also submitted by your principal. If you meet all the requirements you get an interview half way through November. If you pass the interview, you will be accepted into the course before HSC results come out.

Accuracy

HSC
N/A
^ so it'd be best to apply for heaps of scholarships right? or will it be bad because other uni's wont like it since theyre being used as backup?

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
^ so it'd be best to apply for heaps of scholarships right? or will it be bad because other uni's wont like it since theyre being used as backup?
The other unis do not have access to info on any other scholarships you have applied for. So yes, apply for anything you're eligible for

barbernator

HSC
Apply for every scholarship! every one you can. Uni's do not know what preference you want their scholarship etc, they just know that they want the best students, and if you are the best student they will offer you the scholarship, simple as that. Universities understand that students apply for more than one scholarship, so they allow for that by selecting back ups for when people don't accept their scholarship.

tambam

HSC
If you don't get the very high atar of 96 but just get a reasonable atar can they still consider you and possibly accept you?
I'm pretty sure at UNSW your offer is conditional of reaching the atar requirement, so probably not. But for UTS BAcc program they're less strict on the atar requirement.

Also a word of advice for people applying for the UNSW Coop. You have the option of putting up to 4 preferences for coop programs, but I wouldn't recommend putting more than 1. It shows you're not really dedicated to a specific career path, and will affect your chances of getting in.

aishtbang

HSC
The other unis do not have access to info on any other scholarships you have applied for. So yes, apply for anything you're eligible for
it's true. As long as you are eligible, you can apply for any scholarships. They just pick from the top winners.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
I received a scholarship + award from UNSW and been shortlisted for a few others. So the key is to apply for anything you're eligible for and writing a good application that solidifies your claim.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)