• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

School and ATAR (1 Viewer)

Eg155

HSC
If a person was to go to a school that has a very large cohort say 500 in the grade (which is very strong.. mixed nationality)
would this be an advantage to their ATAR?? with the addition of being an 'independent learning' school where you are meant to teach yourself ..
Vs a school that teaches you, with a fairly small and poor cohort with a good education..
Trying to decide.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
Just out of interest, are you considering transferring to a different school? I would think that the latter is a better option.

Eg155

HSC
yes, my old school. the latter option.
my subjects would be different too: visual arts instead of legal.

qwerty44

HSC
If you change back are you allowed to start VA halfway through year 11/ start of yr 12?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
You have to complete the Preliminary course - meeting some of the outcomes of the Preliminary course - before being enrolled in the HSC course. When changing schools it would be harder to pick up a subject as it is at the discretion of the principal to sign off on completing the outcomes of the Preliminary course.

ilys1995

HSC
It's definitely better to be in a smaller cohort because then the teachers will give you more attention and help you more and you'll end up getting a better HSC, but if the rest of your cohort does bad, your grade could be moderated down in the HSC

Eg155

HSC
It's definitely better to be in a smaller cohort because then the teachers will give you more attention and help you more and you'll end up getting a better HSC, but if the rest of your cohort does bad, your grade could be moderated down in the HSC
moderated down? i have no idea what moderating is? ... but isn't it if there is a major gap between first and middle rank that is ok?

TerenceM

HSC
Hmm Have you moved schools yet? And what school did you move from?

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I know the two schools and what I'll say is;

Neither is inherently going to lead to a better ATAR, it's about what school fits you better to how well you do at them. Which is better suited to you will help in getting the best ATAR possible for you to happen.

zhiying

HSC
Do you feel like crushing everyone, or a sense of competition that might drive you to succeed more lol

That aside...are you exaggerating or actually cohort of 500 O_O I had a cohort of 150

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I think this is very much personal preference:
• do you perform better with fierce competition and less support?
OR
• do you perform better with weak competition and strong support?

It's really just preference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)