Section II - Crime (1 Viewer)

AFI

HSC
well i threw away like 20 marks.....i went threw like 100 past papers and i have never even seen a quesiton like that before...fken ridiculous....my textbook doesnt even have the answer to the question they asked...i wrote like 5 pages for the whole crime section i just concentrated on extended responce....band 4 here i come now...fuck!!!!

juzzed1987

HSC
butterflybird said:
to the assertion of some people that 'males and females' was just meant to trick us and it was just a politically correct 'people'

explain what we were supposed to COMPARE and CONTRAST then?
let us examine this reworded question

"compare and contrast the problems faced by young offenders when they come into contact with the criminal justice system"

under this question there is nothing to compare and contrast, if it was intended to have this meaning they would have said "DESCRIBE the problems faced by young offenders...."

thankyou logic wins again

on another note, i really think they'll have to re-think any grand expectations for that whole section and everyone'll be marked fairly. at least i hope so.
Here here!!
I was so psyched for this exam ... one of the only ones i had a chance of getting a decent mark in ... and look what happens

On that note that butterflybird makes ... section d didnt't really ask you to evaluate anything either: "evaluate the treatment" ... in relation to what? I think the BOS has some serious explaining to do ... (Anyone got channel 10's number? I'm sure sandra sully will love this story.)

I reckon, as compensation for the three bungles with the hsc in the first week (wrong exam papers, the olmc extra 20 min scandal, and now the legal studies paper) anyone who did legal should get uais of 95 plus.

Oh and to everyone who did juvenile offenders as their criminal justice issue and is telling us to stop whining ... SHUT THE HELL UP ... let us whine all we want!

All the guys in my class were prepared with criminal justice issues to do with terrorist investigations, teh role of the jury, decriminalisation of cannabis ... no one had anything to do with juveniles ... This is the saddest day in the history of legal studies ... two years wasted by just two questions

i OBJECT to the BOS and that poor excuse of an exam ... may their backsides burn in the fires of hell ... or hades ... or whatever underworld you believe in

Skewl

HSC
U shud all think how i feel about this exam we never learnt about juveniles as our focus was on madatory sentencing. Our textbook SHIT MACMILLAN doesnt even have anything on them. LETS BOYCOTT BOARD OF STUDIES>....are they trying to make us fail?

juzzed1987

HSC
Skewl said:
LETS BOYCOTT BOARD OF STUDIES>....are they trying to make us fail?
simple answer: yes (even though they lull us into thinking we can't)

purple_monkey

HSC
Legal Studies SUX! That bit on crime was totally unexpected, i crapped myself when i read that question. I did so bad in section II that i finished 1 hour early, fucked up big time. I just wrote a whole lot of shit about how males are generally given harsher punishments because of the way they are percieved in communities as more detrimental to society than females. Pretty crap really. only wrote a couple of pages.

purple_monkey

HSC
Distant Education Is Severely Fucked

P.S. For all you guys whinging about not having studied juveniles in detail, think yourself lucky. I did this course by distant education, and din't study anything in detail. Not having a teacher is fucked up.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
what have people's Legal studies teachers thought of the question? Anybody got the chance to ask?

I imagine teachers share the same view as the student on C.

Danoz The Great

HSC
chooette said:
Is there a way to complain? I know for like chem you can get some taken out if theres enough controversy about it... I hadnt seen anything on that... and it was rather ambiguous...

Would like to hear what happened with your teacher and BOS
I think you can, you go through the school and do it.
I did try to find her this afternoon after my SOR1 exam, but I couldn't find her. I will let you all know the outcome.

pig_93

HSC
WONDERING....
even in regards to all the children and the law stuff etc etc....

is THAT even in our syllabus??????

i cant find it....

kouklitsa

OK my legal studies teacher seemed to think it was quite fair...

the things she mentioned when we talked to her afterwards about part c) were gender bias and discretion of the judiciary and of police.. they were the main things she mentioned. i did write about those, but i dont think my quanitity was there..

this was supposed to be my best subject, the one that would pull my uai up, but thanks to the stupidity and ignorance of the examination committee in setting such a stupid, stupid question im screwed..... SCALING better fix up this crappiness!! grr

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
i was like wtf during the exam. but then i thought that there must be a reason why they chose to put that in. after i think about it, part c and d was fair. though it does not directly link to the syllabas, it had issues that were from the syllabas, such as police discretion and judicial discretion or alternative punshiments for that matter.

butterflybird

HSC
My second official statement for the evening *lol*

I too looked upon Section II question (c) and went :| WTF? No it is not in the syllabus, no I have never heard any mention of it from my teachers or in any textbook. Yes I made 40-odd pages of Crime notes over the year on the many points that ARE in the syllabus that it turns our are, in fact, useless. I made the entire section up on the spot. Educated making up though, I tried to incorporate stuff like discretion and sentencing and whatnot.
All the people telling the forum to stop whinging need a good kick up the pants, because even if by some chance that your teacher mentioned it or you miraculously chose it as extra research, it most certainly was not a requirement of the course.
EDIT NOTE: My class did indeed ask our legal teachers about this, and they were as confused as us. They were the ones who first revealed to us that it wasn't even in the syllabus and the entire department knew about it hehe.
The board of studies made a big mistake when it decided to fiddle with exam procedures with the LEGAL STUDIES students :p Quite funny how everyone's like NO! Where are my dispute resolution mechanisms?? My grounds for redress?? The legislation (syllabus) does not provide for this topic!! I WANT JUSTICE!!

Last edited:

dragon fan

I was alrite
I did a speech and powerpoint on the Young Offenders Act 1997 (NSW) earlier in the year so i was able to recall that information. However i did find it a strange question. Besides this question i thought the rest of the paper was good

pig_93

HSC
i couldnt agree more butterfly...

they are seriously going to have to do something about this....

i mean, is all they can do is scale us better? cos thats bullshit. it needs to be publically addressed.

its utter bullshit.
everyone agrees.

if its not in the syllabus, they cannot put this shit in. its unnacceptable THATS THE BOTTOM LINE

kouklitsa

pig_93 said:
i couldnt agree more butterfly...

they are seriously going to have to do something about this....

i mean, is all they can do is scale us better? cos thats bullshit. it needs to be publically addressed.

its utter bullshit.
everyone agrees.

if its not in the syllabus, they cannot put this shit in. its unnacceptable THATS THE BOTTOM LINE
is tehre a form of complaints mechanism? the BOS of all institutions, particularly in the area of legal studies, should have some sort of dispute resolution.... i have not seen one person who knew what the hell that part c was on about.. i doubt the top person in the state will even know! the teachers were even thrown.. where is the justice! where is the equality! this is ineffective testing and isnt actually testing us out properly.. its screwing us up!! so much for following the syllabus!!

i think we should get a petition going.. every single signature of legal studies students in the state!

kouklitsa

oh yes and i also want to add that i spoke to my friend who is doing first year law.. he had NO IDEA about how to answer that.. i knew more than him

my cousin, a lawyer of 6 years who has worked in the biggest law firm in sydney also didnt really know how to answer... she thought it was stupid. now what does that say?

pig_93

HSC
my dad is a solicitor for the state dpp
he had no idea
thats about 40years legal experience here in australia
and he EVEN deals in the childrens court

the ironic thing is, he said in all his years, he NEVER ever saw a girl! it was always boys lol now thats gotta be amusing

kouklitsa

pig_93 said:
my dad is a solicitor for the state dpp
he had no idea
thats about 40years legal experience here in australia
and he EVEN deals in the childrens court

the ironic thing is, he said in all his years, he NEVER ever saw a girl! it was always boys lol now thats gotta be amusing
lol this just gets funnieR!! this paper is seeming like more of a joke than ever !!! i just dont see what our options are.... i hope these BOS people are reading this though!!! *hint*

minnsy8700

i hated it

i thought the crime question was way too irrelevent. we didn't learn anything about this topic in crime and were never taught about the 'treatment' of any group in the legal system. in the 7mark question i just made stuff up listed all the problems they faced and commented on if they were faced by both or only one gender. in the 12 mark question i just wrote about the treatment in terms of the effectiveness of the legal system. Overall, i think the question was a bit much and should have focused more on the important issues of crime.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)