• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Seriously?? (1 Viewer)

Ignorantt

HSC
Ive been skimming these forums without a made account. Ive been reading all these threads saying they have NO free time and that they just started year 11, either there bullshitting, they have horrible time management or i should start studying? I'm aiming for a ATAR of 80+ is fine with me.

My Subjects are:

English Standard
Biology
Chemistry
General Maths ( Im not a complete retard but maths is NOT my thing, so don't say go to 2U, i don't MIND maths its not to bad for me i just don't like being so far behind on everyone)
Business Studies
Software Design & Development

How much study should i do per night/week to achieve 80 ATAR and how hard would it be with these subjects?:D

Any replies would be K00L.
Thanks.

bv

HSC
as long as ur keeping up with homework, and do a decent amount of study before exams you should be alrite, but just make sure ur keep well ahead with general

emmcyclopedia

HSC
I reckon if you did 1-2 hours of school work for most week nights, you'd be fine... so long as you're not struggling with your subjects.

Keep up-to-date on understanding content, pay attention in class, and you'll have very little work out of school.

Ignorantt

HSC
Even though i hardly think it matters i did year 9-10 and got all average marks and band 4's for SC so that will show i have a decent "brain" size.

Dont flame me because i compared HSC with SC :(

emmcyclopedia, its just start of term so to hard to judge if i can handle my subjects but all of them i picked because i did the elective the year before and enjoyed it a fair bit and did fairly Good at it.

(Except Science Of course.)

Last edited:

Ignorantt

HSC
Mind you before the Sc i didnt practice past papers or study at all for that matter, Of course with HSC i will be alot more prepared and know what will be examined etc;

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
Well I'm managing well. So far the only homework I've received is from math and physics.

emmcyclopedia

HSC
If you got Band 4's in school cert science, you may struggle to keep with with your current science choices, particularly Chem. The year 10 chemistry component is much simpler than prelim chem... I didn't do a lot of chemistry homework because I kept up in class quite easily, but it's recommended that most people do an hour of chemistry a night. And Biology requires a lot of memory work, thus constant revision and repetition is necessary.
But honestly, don't measure your study in hours. Set yourself weekly goals, such as "summarise and understand the first topic in module 1 for chem and bio", and just take as long as necessary for it to click for you.

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
Yeah well i got all B4's and 2 B5's for the SC and ended up with an atar just over 90. So 80+ is def achievable for you if you study a few hours per night.

Ignorantt

HSC
emmcyclopedia, Exactly what i was thinking... I was basically pressured into going into that course because it gives a decent scaling but whats the point in scaling if i do shit? So we'll see how it goes i can always drop it at the end of Year 11 or change it for another subject in the 2 week window period.

Still to early to tell.

Ekoolish, mind telling me what subjects you did and what your marks were by any chance :)?

emmcyclopedia

HSC
Definitely, I don't think scaling should sway your decision - you should study what you enjoy and what is relevant to future education.

Half of my chemistry class dropped after prelim, because they hated it and couldn't keep up.

Biology is a good subject though, it's not actually difficult, it's just the sheer quantity of content that means people who don't put the consistent work in will struggle.

All the best mate :)

Ignorantt

HSC
Thanks for the replies guys, Good community :) actual gives constructive posts and good advice.

MailMofo

HSC
I didn't study until the last 2 months of the HSC.
I got a band 5 in geography and the rest 3-4's in the SC.

I ended up with a 78 ATAR. Busting your balls in Yr 11 seems quite pointless.

Tofuu

HSC
concentrate in class, finish your hw everynight (try to finish all of the homework you revceive)

if homework has taken <1 hr, try study for 2 hours (go ahead if you know everything)
if homwork has taken 1-3 hrs, study for about 1-2 hours (depending if you feel like you are behind)
and if hw has taken a long time, don't really need to study for the night since you've spent enough time already

for standard english, start writting essays and all now + you don't need to spend alot of time on it

it might be a good idea to study 2-4 dotpoints ahead for chemisty, it will help you in class quite a bit

for business studies, make sure you find and REMEMBER case studies as you go along each dotpoint, the chances are that you will probably need them (and know them well) by the end of prelim

for general maths, i would probably just listen in class, do the set work (+some extra if you have time)

Ignorantt

HSC
To the person who posted they got a ATAR of 78, Thats finally a realistic result i would not exactly be COMFORTABLE with but it will be fine. Ive been reading about all these people studying 4 hours a day 30 hours a week.....Seriously it gets me worried im not studying enough.

Thanks for replies.

Ignorantt

HSC
I didn't study until the last 2 months of the HSC.
I got a band 5 in geography and the rest 3-4's in the SC.

I ended up with a 78 ATAR. Busting your balls in Yr 11 seems quite pointless.
That ATAR is somewhat i think i will get, not saying i wouldnt want to get 90+ but i would rather put my prediction low and aim higher : ). Thanks for reply.

Hope_

Hope~
HSC
My sister did <1hr a day in Yr 11 and not much more in Yr 12 and still winged an ATAR 99~ish; so an 80 shouldn't be too hard I would imagine.

Ignorantt

HSC
Your sister most likely just has book smarts or can grasp concepts VERY easily if she got a Atar of 99ish w/o Studying much.

I myself cant grasp concepts straight away :(.

adriano_negr0

HSC
no offence if u only got a band four in school certificate science which is unbelievably simple, im not sure how u will do in bio and chem cause apparently they are both very demanding esp chem

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)