Share your fave snippets/quotes (from books, poetry, etc) (1 Viewer)

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
Re: Share your fave snippets / quotes

Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that’s no matter—tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther. . . . And then one fine morning—
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald.

If that doesn't inspire you to write I don't know what would.

pakigal

HSC

Pygmalion-

"Remember that you are a human being with a soul and the divine gift of articulate speech: that your native language is the language of Shakespeare and Milton and The Bible; and don't sit there crooning like a bilious pigeon."

and

" . . . the difference between a lady and a flower girl is not how she behaves, but how she's treated."

and

"Are you walking across the park Miss Doolittle? Walk? not bloody likely!"

"Shall we ask this baggage to sit down or shall we throw her out the window?"

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC

The only slightly amusing part of Sally Morgans, 'My Place':

'The older boys went over there regularly to milk the cows. We used to follow them. We'd lack back on the bales of straw in the milking shed and beg the boys to squirt us with milk. I had my mouth open all the time, it was lovely, feeling that warm, creamy milk shoot in and down your throat.'

Page 258, Gladys Corunna's Story.

white lady

No Motivation Whatsoever
HSC

I can only think of 1 at the moment

"Arise, arise, Riders of Theoden!
Fell deeds awake, fire and slaughter!
spear shall be shaken, shield be splintered,
a sword-day, red day, ere the sun rises!
Ride now, ride now! Rider to Gondor!"
LOTR, ROTK.

ccc123

HSC

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent" - Eleanor Roosevelt.

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrups absolutely" Lord Acton.

"If you know you are going to fail, fail gloriously."- Cate Blanchett.

"A life of unremitting caution, without the carefree-or even ocasionally the careless-may turn out to be half a life"- Anna Quindlen.

"Life is like a novel with the end ripped out"- Rascal Flatts.

"Doing nothing is very hard to do- you never know when your finished"- Leislie Nielsen.

"I'm so unfamilar with the gym. I call it James" - Chi Mcbride.

Kirsty Xx

That's the price we pay
HSC

... troubled with the lampass, infected with the fashions, full of windgalls, sped with spavins, rayed with the yellows ... - Shakespeare (The Taming Of The Shrew)

HSC
From sputnik sweetheart...

'And it came to me then.

That we were wonderful traveling companions but in the end no more than lonely lumps of metal in their own separate orbits. From far off they looked like beautiful shooting stars, but in reality they're nothing more than prisons, where each of us is locked up alone, going nowhere. When the orbits of these two satellites of ours happened to cross paths, we could be together. Maybe even open our hearts to each other. But that was only for the briefest moment. In the next instant we'd be in absolute solitude. Until we burned up and became nothing.'

With the Bulldogs next year; that is, the Yale Bul
HSC
Non, Monsieur, je n’ai pas cette crainte ; si je l’avais, je fuirais �* cent lieues de vous ; j’irais pleurer dans un désert le malheur de vous avoir connu. Peut-être même, malgré la certitude où je suis de ne vous point aimer, de ne vous aimer jamais, peut-être aurais-je mieux fait de suivre les conseils de mes amis ; de ne pas vous laisser approcher de moi.

J’ai cru, et c’est l�* mon seul tort, j’ai cru que vous respecteriez une femme honnête, qui ne demandait pas mieux que de vous trouver tel et de vous rendre justice ; qui déj�* vous défendait, tandis que vous l’outragiez par vos vœux criminels. Vous ne me connaissez pas ; non, Monsieur, vous ne me connaissez pas. Sans cela, vous n’auriez pas cru pouvoir vous faire un droit de vos torts : parce que vous m’avez tenu des discours que je ne devais pas entendre, vous ne vous seriez pas cru autorisé �* m’écrire une lettre que je ne devais pas lire : et vous me demandez de guider vos démarches, de dicter vos discours ! Hé bien, Monsieur, le silence et l’oubli, voil�* les conseils qu’il me convient de vous donner, comme �* vous de suivre : alors, vous aurez, en effet, des droits �* mon indulgence : il ne tiendrait qu’�* vous d’en obtenir même �* ma reconnaissance… Mais non, je ne ferai point une demande �* celui qui ne m’a point respectée ; je ne donnerai point une marque de confiance �* celui qui a abusé de ma sécurité. Vous me forcez �* vous craindre, peut-être �* vous haïr : je ne le voulais pas ; je ne voulais voir en vous que le neveu de ma plus respectable amie ; j’opposais la voix de l’amitié �* la voix publique qui vous accusait. Vous avez tout détruit ; et, je le prévois, vous ne voudrez rien réparer.
Forum fails with characters.

Basically, it's an epic letter.

HSC
From the last book I read, The Drowner.

A mystery to her was how a photographer could capture such picturesque proof of human existence, its industriousness, optimism and diversity, could even make it decorative, whereas she walked from the sleeping pair to the window, looked out into the stark world and saw nothing at all.

mossieman

HSC
"Wee, sleekit, cow'rin, tim'rous beastie,
O, what a panic's in thy breastie!" To a Mouse, Robert Burns

"My heart aches, and a drowsy numbness pains
My sense, as though of hemlock I had drunk,
Or emptied some dull opiate to the drains
One minute past, and Lethe-wards had sunk" - Ode to a Nightingale, Keats

"Shed no tear- O shed no tear! The flower will bloom another year"- Keats

"'Call the police!'
'But you are the police!'
'Thank god i'm here!'" The Real Inspector Hound, Tom Stoppard

"Carpe Diem- Sieze the Day"

"'Have you met my daughter Carmen?'
'Yes. She tried to sit in my lap while I was standing up'" The Big Sleep, Raymond Chandler

Last edited:

fallenstar

liberate, educate.
HSC

Tulipa said:
Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that’s no matter—tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther. . . . And then one fine morning—
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald.

If that doesn't inspire you to write I don't know what would.
+1
amazing.

~caramello~

HSC
shawshank redemption: I believe in two things: discipline and the Bible. Here you'll receive both. Put your trust in the Lord; your ass belongs to me. Welcome to Shawshank.

M.T.T.

HSC
"Pensive poets painful vigils keep / Sleepless themselves to give their readers sleep"
- Alexander Pope, "The Dunciad"

Other Pope quotes exist that I like - but this is all I can remember.

"To err is human, to forgive divine" ["Essay on Criticism"] is another one of Pope's but everyone knows & loves it anyways.

------

And, from Heathcliff of Wuthering Heights:
"Cathy, this lamb of yours threatens like a bull! It is in danger of splitting its skull against my knuckles. By God, Mr Linton, I'm mortally sorry that you are not worth knocking down!" [Chapter XI, Vol I]

Such a wonderfully written taunt - just one of the few "oh snap" moments written in the mid-19th century.

E

Empyrean444

Yeah Pope is brilliant;
"a demon stole my pen (forgive the offence)
and once betray'd me into common sense" [Dunciad];

"For fools rush in where angels fear to tread". [ essay on criticisim]

Also swift:
"the statesman tells you with a sneer,/ his fault is being too sincere." [ the beasts' confession]

"For Example, if my Neighbour hath a Mind to my Cow, he hires a Lawyer to prove that he ought to have my Cow from me. I must then hire another to defend my Right, it being against all Rules of Law that any Man should be allowed to speak for himself. Now in this Case, I who am the right Owner lie under two great Disadvantages. First, my Lawyer being practiced almost from his Cradle in defending Falshood; is quite out of his Element when he would be an Advocate for Justice, which as an Office unnatural, he always attempts with great Awkwardness if not with Ill-will. The second Disadvantage is, that my Lawyer must proceed with great Caution: Or else he will be reprimanded by the Judges, and abhorred by his Brethren, as one that would lessen the Practice of the Law. And therefore I have but two Methods to preserve my Cow. The first is, to gain over my Adversary's Lawyer with a double Fee; who will then betray his Client by insinuating that he hath Justice on his Side. The second way is for my Lawyer to make my Cause appear as unjust as he can; by the Cow to belong to my Adversary; and this, if it be skilfully done, will certainly bespeak the Favour of the Bench.
Now, your Honour is to know that these Judges are Persons appointed to decide all Controversies of Property, as well as for the Tryal of Criminals; and picked out from the most dextrous Lawyers who are grown old or lazy: And having been byassed all their Lives against Truth and Equity, are under such a fatal Necessity of favouring Fraud, Perjury, and Oppression; that I have known some of them refuse a large Bribe from the Side where Justice lay, rather than injure the Faculty, by doing any thing unbecoming their Nature or their Office.

It is a Maxim among these Lawyers, that whatever hath been done before, may legally be done again: And therefore they take special Care to record all the Decisions formerly made against common Justice and the general Reason of Mankind. These, under the Name of Precedents, they produce as Authorities to justify the most iniquitous Opinions; and the Judges never fail of decreeing accordingly.

In pleading, they studiously avoid entering into the Merits of the Cause; but are loud, violent, and tedious in dwelling upon all Circumstances which are not to the Purpose. For Instance, in the Case already mentioned: They never desire to know what Claim or Title my Adversary hath to my Cow; but whether the said Cow were Red or Black; her Horns long or short; whether the Field I graze her in be round or square; whether she was milked at home or abroad; what Diseases she is subject to, and the like. After which they consult Precedents, adjourn the Cause from Time to Time, and in Ten, Twenty, or Thirty Years, come to an Issue.

It is likewise to be observed, that this Society has a peculiar Cant and Jargon of their own, that no other Mortal can understand, and wherein all their Laws are written, which they take special Care to multiply; whereby they have gone near to confound the very Essence of Truth and Falsehood, of Right and Wrong; so that it may take Thirty Years to decide whether the Field, left me by my Ancestors for Six Generations, belongs to me, or to a Stranger three hundred Miles off. "
Gulliver's travels

that bloke

HSC
"Imagine explaining jogging to some starving Somali?
- Yeah, well, it's like this. I eat so much, I have to run so's i don't get fat, eh? "

The Lost Boys - Sam de Brito

klaris

HSC
"I love a Sunburnt Country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of rugged mountain ranges,
Of droughts and flooding rains,
I love her far horizon,
I lover her jewel sea,
Her beauty and her terror,
The wide brown land for me!"

I know its a bit cliche, but I just love it. First poem I ever really appreciated.

annas4107

HSC
'Our two soules therefore which are one, although I must goe, endure not yet a breach but an expansion like gold to ayrey thinnesse beate'
Valediction Forbidding Mourning John Donne

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)