Should assassination be a legitimate foreign policy tool? (1 Viewer)

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
This was a question I remember a school friend asking me a while back and I thought it should be pretty interesting for BOS. Voice your opinions on whether or not you think governments should be obliged to use assassination as a foreign policy tool. Please justify if you can! Interested to know what you people think.

equaLIty

HSC
N/A
hmm, not a bad question mate. i think governments should use assassination to protect their citizens from terrorist organisations.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
hmm, not a bad question mate. i think governments should use assassination to protect their citizens from terrorist organisations.
Fair enough. I figured the government is doing this to fulfil their duty to their citizens although others might think it's morally wrong to assassinate leaders of terrorists.

Aysce

HSC
Imo, yes in order to maintain the safety of the citizens. Even if it is morally wrong, it is able to prevent multiple deaths occurring in the future and decrease the morale of certain terrorist groups.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
Imo, yes in order to maintain the safety of the citizens. Even if it is morally wrong, it is able to prevent multiple deaths occurring in the future and decrease the morale of certain terrorist groups.
I was thinking of something like protecting the lives of soldiers as well who don't have to risk their lives to fight terrorists ^. Good point though.

Aysce

HSC
I was thinking of something like protecting the lives of soldiers as well who don't have to risk their lives to fight terrorists ^. Good point though.
Yeah I would also say that, but imo the whole objective of this is to preserve life as BEST as possible, despite the irony of taking some lives in the process >_>

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
Yeah I would also say that, but imo the whole objective of this is to preserve life as BEST as possible, despite the irony of taking some lives in the process >_>
Haha, and I wonder why the government doesn't choose to use assassination as a weapon...

mirakon

nigga
HSC
It isn't necessarily if one considers an assassin as a component of war and if the person being assassinated threatens the stability of the state (i.e. terrorist attack on Parliament House or something)

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
It isn't necessarily if one considers an assassin as a component of war and if the person being assassinated threatens the stability of the state (i.e. terrorist attack on Parliament House or something)
Perhaps a way to solve this would be something between diplomacy and full scale war.

Aysce

HSC
You are still taking a life, despite how terrible that person is. Although, I would still want that person killed even if it is wrong.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Yes. Bin Laden, Hussein, Gaddafi, Jong-Il, Kony, Castro etc should have all been or be assassinated.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
You are still taking a life, despite how terrible that person is. Although, I would still want that person killed even if it is wrong.
Hmm, people call me a pacifist and in my opinion I think people deserve a second chance at life I guess.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
yes you are still taking a life but the philosophical question is:

Is it worth it?

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
But then you get into the whole: where will the line be drawn and who will regulate such assassinations.

deswa1

HSC
Consider though if we think it is alright to assasinate some foreigner, what would stop nations such as Iraq assasinating someone like Barack Obama? Right now, they wouldn't really want to do it because even though they are already at war, if the government was linked to such an attack, it would cause international fallout and even more countries make wage war to prevent further assasinations. If however assasinations were viewed as 'correct' foreign policy, this deterrent wouldn't be present.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
But then you get into the whole: where will the line be drawn and who will regulate such assassinations.
I thought governments couldn't use assassination because the general public feared they would abuse their power as you kindly mentioned.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Consider though if we think it is alright to assasinate some foreigner, what would stop nations such as Iraq assasinating someone like Barack Obama? Right now, they wouldn't really want to do it because even though they are already at war, if the government was linked to such an attack, it would cause international fallout and even more countries make wage war to prevent further assasinations. If however assasinations were viewed as 'correct' foreign policy, this deterrent wouldn't be present.
I don't really get your use of "correct" foreign policy.

Are you using it in the sense that if something is considered "correct" countries are under no grounds to do anything about it?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Soldiers don't need to be protected. Their job is to defend and kill.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)