Should I do Advanced English? (1 Viewer)

smartalec

HSC
Right now, I'm doing standard english. This is because it was the only course I was invited to. However, I'm pretty sure my school may have made a mistake. My friend was invited into Advanced english and I have gotten better marks than her every time. Here are my rankings/marks etc: (We were given invitations beginning/mid this year)
Yr 9:
-Top Class for English
-Not sure what I was ranked in the first semester, but I was ranked 27th in the second semester out of 190 students in my grade.

Yr 10:
-No longer in the top class (we only have a top class then every other class is mixed) and I am topping my class.
-Ranked 40th overall this year. My friend invited into advanced was ranked 114th!

Although it varies from school to school, I have always received B grades which is 'above average.' In order to recieve a B you must get over 60% (70% in 2009) and I always got between 74 and 76%. In order to get an you have to get over 80% (85% in 2009)

I have talked to the english coordinator and he says it is up to me. Next year I am doing:

General Maths
Community and Family Studies
Biology
Hospitality
Studies of Religion I

I know I should try it and all. But I am asking, with my grades, should I be doing or furthermore been invited into Advanced English?

Last edited:

gella

HSC
do it. you got pretty good grades in year 10 and if you're sure you can do it, why not? even if you don't like it or can't cope, i'm sure you can always go back to standard.

Amogh

HSC
N/A
Yes do Advanced.
put forward this argument infront of your teachers
Logic suggests that you'll be 'invited'

though, I dont get how you're 'invited' to do a subject
you just choose in my school =S

i think you've placed this in the wrong section

MooshyMoosh

HSC
Since you're starting year 11 next year, go for it. You've still got plenty of time to decide whether or not advanced english is for you. Just try it out for a couple of weeks and see if the content and depth suits you. I had friends who did advanced for half of first semester, then moved down to standard because they just didn't like English lol.

So yeah, just try it out, because again, you've got plenty of time to decide.:uhhuh:

mirakon

nigga
HSC
do it. you got pretty good grades in year 10 and if you're sure you can do it, why not? even if you don't like it or can't cope, i'm sure you can always go back to standard.
Correct. +1

Also, Amogh raises a valid point. I was under the impression that invitations were only given for extension subjects but for everything else you got to choose yourself...

sophie2009

HSC
I definitely think you should give it a go. With your marks you may find it difficult, however the teachers at my school always told us to give it a go, pick up the skills and if it's too hard you can drop to standard in year 12. Advanced students are taught more on critical analysis and if you drop to standard for year 12 you can use this to your advantage in the HSC. I do advanced and love it, so I think you should see how you go- good luck :)

smartalec

HSC
Correct. +1

Also, Amogh raises a valid point. I was under the impression that invitations were only given for extension subjects but for everything else you got to choose yourself...
yeah. our schools retarded. you had to get invited into advanced and extension courses.
you also had to get invited to do physics, chemistry and engineering. strange i know

thanks guys for the quick responses and support =)

HSC
This is a pretty good approach, well said :)

beardedwoman

HSC
Yes, do Advanced English. Take that chance because if you find it too difficult at the end of the year, you can just drop to Standard for your HSC year. You'll end up with more knowledge than most of them if that is the case too, since teachers in Advanced goes a lot faster from what I've seen & heard.

HSC
Uni Grad
Yes do Advanced.
put forward this argument infront of your teachers
Logic suggests that you'll be 'invited'

though, I dont get how you're 'invited' to do a subject
you just choose in my school =S

i think you've placed this in the wrong section
People would get invited into the subject because of some special consideration, like in BWB, they invite you to 4U maths if you get at least an 85% average or something for the 2U and 3U course..

But what the hell, I dont even see how the hell can you get invited to standard english :O And the invitation process that you've showed me is so flawed... >_<

To the person who started the thread;

I believe you should take advanced English; it has similar stuff, but you just do different texts and if you get the same mark, Advanced English will put you up.

layla_xox

HSC
Right now, I'm doing standard english. This is because it was the only course I was invited to. However, I'm pretty sure my school may have made a mistake. My friend was invited into Advanced english and I have gotten better marks than her every time. Here are my rankings/marks etc: (We were given invitations beginning/mid this year)
Yr 9:
-Top Class for English
-Not sure what I was ranked in the first semester, but I was ranked 27th in the second semester out of 190 students in my grade.

Yr 10:
-No longer in the top class (we only have a top class then every other class is mixed) and I am topping my class.
-Ranked 40th overall this year. My friend invited into advanced was ranked 114th!

Although it varies from school to school, I have always received B grades which is 'above average.' In order to recieve a B you must get over 60% (70% in 2009) and I always got between 74 and 76%. In order to get an you have to get over 80% (85% in 2009)

I have talked to the english coordinator and he says it is up to me. Next year I am doing:

General Maths
Community and Family Studies
Biology
Hospitality
Studies of Religion I

I know I should try it and all. But I am asking, with my grades, should I be doing or furthermore been invited into Advanced English?
Yes, you should take up Advanced English ... but I don't know if you can jump from Standard to Advanced ... good luck, hopefully it will go okay. :)

klaris

HSC
I would definitely do it.

We were told that if we were half-decent at English we should go one better and do Advanced.

Your definitely better than "half-decent"

If you can't cope then just drop it after three terms and do standard.

Maybe you could even give Extension a go?

My friend is in the 4th class (out of 8) in English and she was told she could do Extension if she applied herself.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Invited? Tell your school to F-off and do Advanced.

laila09

HSC
Stick with standard I think.
Theres no point in doing advanced and making it harder for yourself.
When you score over 75 in standard (which you will) you will be scaled in terms of atar etc the same as advanced.
Atleast in standard you can guarantee you will do well and get good scaling.
With advanced you will do less well and your atar will suffer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)