should i do extension 2 english?? (1 Viewer)

curlygirl93

HSC
im currently topping advanced and i want to but im not sure is it alot of work?
i would do it with 13 units? someone tell me!
:confused:

jules.09

HSC
im currently topping advanced and i want to but im not sure is it alot of work?
i would do it with 13 units? someone tell me!
:confused:
It is a heck of a lot of work.

English Extension 1 is already like having an extra 2 unit subject, although it only counts as a 1 unit subject.

Don't do it because you're acing advanced, but rather, do it if you are willing to make your own sustained composition over 6 months, research, document, draft, re-draft, have it torn to shreds, edit, re-draft again..

.. until it's perfect for marking.

In other words, it is a painful process, and should only be undertaken if you actually want to write about something that is completely non guided i.e. make a statement. Then, it would be highly rewarding. :p

curlygirl93

HSC

English Extension 1 is already like having an extra 2 unit subject, although it only counts as a 1 unit subject.

Don't do it because you're acing advanced, but rather, do it if you are willing to make your own sustained composition over 6 months, research, document, draft, re-draft, have it torn to shreds, edit, re-draft again..

In other words, it is a painful process, and should only be undertaken if you actually want to write about something that is completely non guided i.e. make a statement. Then, it would be highly rewarding. :p

hahahaha geez yeah i wanna keep my rank and marks up in advanced english because i think thats what really matters the most. and i had an idea for a short story, but talking to my teacher today, he seemed to imply that it is about making a statement in some form about todays world, the history or the future.
thanks for your advice
much appreciated

jblack01

HSC
no! you should definetly not do it!
unless of coarse you can do a song and make a story???:confused:

imsopostmodern

cool as a kuhncumber
HSC
ext 2 is very different from both advanced and ext 1 english. it's a major work, so a personal project that you get approx 9 months to complete.

if you're interested in it, i'd suggest starting it, and see how you go over term four and the summer holidays, and then making your decision. i personally did 14 units for the hsc, and ext 2 eng was one of them, and though it's a lot of work, if you can learn to balance it and leave aside a set time each week to work on it, you should be fine

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC

This. If you do it, ultimately, you really have to make your major work something you enjoy and are passionate about. Don't misconstrue this as "you will enjoy working on your major work 100% of the time", because I'm not going to lie, you WILL hate it at times. You WILL get incredibly stressed out over it. But from that point, you should be able to move forward and look for what you can do to better it. This is a cyclical process that will likely go on throughout the whole year, so keep this in mind.

Extension 2 can be extremely stressful but also greatly rewarding. However if you don't have the passion to do it and just want to "say" you're doing EE2, then don't take it because it'll end up needlessly leaching away your time and it may take away from your other subjects. I saw this happen with someone at my school.

Also, it DOES take a lot of your time. Probably (for me) almost as much as many of my 2-unit subjects. Maybe even more. My teacher has at times questioned why they make it worth 2 units when, in her experience, a lot of the students who have achieved the REALLY high marks have had to put in the same amount of effort as they have for advanced and extension 1 put together.

Last edited:

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
As far as i'm concerned, its all in the way you approach it.

I feel incredibly comfortable with my EE2 right now because I went full ball for the first few months, drafted over and over and over and over and over, and am now at the point where I can laugh and sit back and relax.

I agree though, only do Extension 2 if you really have the motivation to re-draft incessantly and take criticism well.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
Do it if:

- you like English
- you are willing to dedicate your time to English
- you are good at managing time
- you are good at English
- you are willing to do a major work
- coz you want to do it

otherwise, don't. Scaling should not be a reason to do it. It doesn't scale relatively well compared to English Extension anyway.

adamjamessac

HSC
last year, I was lucky enough to top the ext 2 english course. I recommend it to anyone while we still have it!

fleece91

HSC
I just finished mine... it is alot of work but alot of fun! if you want to do it go for it i loved almost every minute of it!

minxistic

HSC
Save yourself a LOT of pain and stay far far away from extension 2
wish someone had told me that last year
then again, some of my friends have loved it, so you never know.
my advice, take the safe road. stay clear.
you can always take up writing after school

catherinet

HSC
I think that you should try it!
There's no harm in giving it a go :)

But:

-DO NOT leave it until the last minute
-DO NOT quit as soon as someone gives you constructive criticism
-DO NOT use it as yor 10th unit (until you're confident that your MW is good enough --> i did this, and it worked out well... but if i began with 10 units, the stress and pressure to compose something good would have been overbearing)
-DO NOT dismiss constructive criticism... It may be YOUR work, but it's the BOS's guidelines.

And finally...
-DO NOT let anyone tell you that you CAN'T do something. Even teachers.
(I wanted to do poetry, and my teacher said that it was "beyond" me... but i showed them a sample of my writing, and i began my MW in poetry and my teacher began to like it)

Good luck!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)