• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

smh: new light on where money goes for private schools (1 Viewer)

philphie

Banned
HSC
at least the working class don't dodge as much seeing how there'd be no point, how much would you actually save?

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
you might as well just say governments should use their education budget only on public schools to better facilities and teaching to produce well educated individuals in the workforce. private schools already have their fees and compulsory school donations to create well educated individuals plus alumni support
No.

Choice is good, trust.

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
could you expand on that please
Private schools and even home schooling provide an alternate avenue of education. Many private schools have their own agenda; most often religion, but there are now arising a number of private schools that focus on particular areas, like John Marsden's school which focuses on writing and others which focus on maths and science.

This variety adds depth to the education sector as well as competition and a bench mark for government schools, who might otherwise become apathetic and lose direction (i.e. the principle of Mac Rob, the select government school previously ranked first in the Victoria spoke to The Age about how their students and teachers were motivated to work harder to try to keep their no. 1 ranking, which has ultimately been taken by a private school, Mount Scopus, and how they now expected the next group of students and teachers to work harder to reclaim it.)

philphie

Banned
HSC
Private schools and even home schooling provide an alternate avenue of education. Many private schools have their own agenda; most often religion, but there are now arising a number of private schools that focus on particular areas, like John Marsden's school which focuses on writing and others which focus on maths and science.

This variety adds depth to the education sector as well as competition and a bench mark for government schools, who might otherwise become apathetic and lose direction (i.e. the principle of Mac Rob, the select government school previously ranked first in the Victoria spoke to The Age about how their students and teachers were motivated to work harder to try to keep their no. 1 ranking, which has ultimately been taken by a private school, Mount Scopus, and how they now expected the next group of students and teachers to work harder to reclaim it.)
ok, but what does this have to do with our discussion about putting government expenses into public schools rather than private schools when they can obviously facilitate their own funding

Planck

Banned
HSC
N/A
ok, but what does this have to do with our discussion about putting government expenses into public schools rather than private schools when they can obviously facilitate their own funding
Base level of funding for all students.

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
Just an argument for the existence of private schools, which in turn need Government funding to survive.

They cannot facilitate their own funding, that's the thing. Many private schools fall short every year. I went to a (smaller) private school and it was in dire financial straits, saved only by a grant from the government. I know of others who have to have huge fundraisers every year to get themselves over the line.

The private schooling 'industry' is not a monopoly where the schools are banding together fixing prices. There is a lot of choice as to where you can send your child and as a result, the prices are competitive. The schools are always trying to bust down their prices in order to attract more students; the prices they give are an accurate reflection of how much they need in order to survive running a school.

Last edited:

philphie

Banned
HSC
Just an argument for the existence of private schools, which in turn need Government funding to survive.

They cannot facilitate their own funding, that's the thing. Many private schools fall short every year. I went to a (smaller) private school and it was in dire financial straits, saved only by a grant from the government. I know of others who have to have huge fundraisers every year to get themselves over the line.

The private schooling 'industry' is not a monopoly where the schools are banding together fixing prices. There is a lot of choice as to where you can send your child and as a result, the prices are competitive. The schools are always trying to bust down their prices in order to attract more students; the prices they give are an accurate reflection of how much they need in order to survive running a school.
well in nsw we have 5 different types of schools: comprehensive public, selective, Catholic systemic, independent and private. catholic systemic schools and independent schools are governed under one head body which means the fees you might pay for one school does not go directly to your school but is dispersed equally across other schools that are part of the association so in that matter i can understand the need for some government funding. a private school which has a base yearly fee of over 20 grand (which is almost all of them) is in my opinion well off and self sufficient. in sydney there really are no smaller private schools except rather independent schools which have fees between 5-15 grand anyway which is reasonable and applicable to some government funding. in nsw busting down fee costs is a rare thing in a private school.

there is a reason why fees inflate year after year, it is like rent inflation, landowners and school boards know the tennants and parents desire to stay within their services no matter what, so do you think these kind of private schools (which in nsw are the majority) need government assistance?

philphie

Banned
HSC

and i'm not against the existence of private schools, you're right we should have options

philphie

Banned
HSC
I don't understand the difference between independent and private....?
independent schools as far as i can have some sort of system to subsidise the cost of fees (at least for most of them) it confusing though however, but an example is St Pats Strathfield. on surface they look like a typical top notch private school with the exception there fees are only $5000

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
St Pats doesnt seem like a top notch private school...

Also Azza, less students at the school should also bring the operating costs down, assuming the fees are a true reflection of what the student is receiving.

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
It justifies the funding of certain private schools.
Yes. And where private schools which do not need government funding are receiving it, I would challenge this. However money doesn't grow on trees and I doubt the government would be prone to too much frivolous spending. I'm sure most of the money goes where it's needed.

philphie

Banned
HSC
Yes. And where private schools which do not need government funding are receiving it, I would challenge this. However money doesn't grow on trees and I doubt the government would be prone to too much frivolous spending. I'm sure most of the money goes where it's needed.
i've seen the statistics for government fundings into sydney's most expensive schools and they are of a considerable amount

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)