• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Snoop Dog, Ice Cube and Bone Thugz (1 Viewer)

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
McLovin said:
Not by using computer generated music and rhyming to it. I just don't like the fact that they are using 1/10th of the talent that other bands would have to have to create hit songs.
I don't know if you've ever experimented with making "computer generated music", but don't for a second think the computer "generates" the music. Basically what happens is either they use electronically recorded samples of different instruments in every key, and then using their technical prowess manipulate these samples into a track. Sometimes however to make it feel more authentic they will record musicians actually playing the music which they would have created digitally, and then record it (to ensure it flows better) and then put that together to make music.

Now just a question McLovin. Are you anti-produced music, and prefer live perfomances? Or are you only biased when it comes to Rap music? I'm willing to bet almost all the music you listen too has been recorded digitally. Whether or not it was enhanced, remixed, or other such I can't judge, but unless you have a band follow you around all the time when you want to listen to music that's pretty much the case. So how does it take more talent to do it otherwise? They're both digitally recording and writing the music. And they're both singing over it using their respective styles.

You're starting to remind me of every person I've heard say there is no talent involved in making Rap music. It only takes 10 seconds to prove them wrong. "Prove it", and usually at that point they'll stammer and stutter about their cat's bat, which sat on a mat, and chased a rat. :lol:

You're ignorant.

McLovin

HSC
sam04u said:
I don't know if you've ever experimented with making "computer generated music", but don't for a second think the computer "generates" the music. Basically what happens is either they use electronically recorded samples of different instruments in every key, and then using their technical prowess manipulate these samples into a track. Sometimes however to make it feel more authentic they will record musicians actually playing the music which they would have created digitally, and then record it (to ensure it flows better) and then put that together to make music.

Now just a question McLovin. Are you anti-produced music, and prefer live perfomances? Or are you only biased when it comes to Rap music? I'm willing to bet almost all the music you listen too has been recorded digitally. Whether or not it was enhanced, remixed, or other such I can't judge, but unless you have a band follow you around all the time when you want to listen to music that's pretty much the case. So how does it take more talent to do it otherwise? They're both digitally recording and writing the music. And they're both singing over it using their respective styles.

You're starting to remind me of every person I've heard say there is no talent involved in making Rap music. It only takes 10 seconds to prove them wrong. "Prove it", and usually at that point they'll stammer and stutter about their cat's bat, which sat on a mat, and chased a rat. :lol:

You're ignorant.
There is a difference between using technology to record and edit and using technology to replace musicians. Almost all of the samples are looped to create a dull ostinato and rap music do not create any variety or interest in the song. They stick to the same repetitve patterns, melodies and texture.

Rap songs do not involve talent to get success, it is the image that the rap artist that sells.
Look at one of Snoop Dogs lyrics for example;
'When the pimp's in the crib ma
Drop it like it's hot
Drop it like it's hot
Drop it like it's hot'

Poetry in motion there :rolleyes:

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
McLovin said:
There is a difference between using technology to record and edit and using technology to replace musicians. Almost all of the samples are looped to create a dull ostinato and rap music do not create any variety or interest in the song. They stick to the same repetitve patterns, melodies and texture.
That's the same for pretty much all mainstream music, but that isn't to say that there isn't a more sophisticated rap culture which hasn't filtered into the mainstream, infact there definitely is a much greater culture, especially now with the technology to produce music in one's own basement.

You see in the past it was music which moved, or entertained the masses that was produced and played by the radio and television stations. But in modern times music is marketed to different sections of society. That's why the good rap music (which has a message that some just don't agree with) wont make it into the mainstream.

I mean you probably have a genre of music which when classified and stereotyped through the mainstream and advertised variety of it would look equally bad. I'm personally into the melodic/polirap genre which I implore you to sample.

Rap songs do not involve talent to get success
No songs do. Have you seen the Pussy Cat Dolls? Britney Spears? The list goes on of talentless "musicians" who are successful. Infact I could more better make a case that music in general is bad based on the mainstream, you shouldn't group music with those same classifications if you don't want to come off as looking ignorant. If you want I could introduce you to some good rap titles if you would be willing to listen to them.

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
McLovin said:
You are starting to sound like Michael Jackson calling me ignorant all the time!
I am not ignorant at all, I never ignored rap music one bit, I just made an assessment on the style using technical terms that you have been unable to justify. I do know what context means and if those artists have had hardships there are other/better ways to express that. Poetry or another style of music. Not by using computer generated music and rhyming to it. I just don't like the fact that they are using 1/10th of the talent that other bands would have to have to create hit songs. Yet, this rap genre is gaining boat loads of money!

Wow, a wikipedia article! My god the most reliable source ever! /sarcasm.
This article can be written by anyone in the world! Chances are it was made by an Ice Cube mark anyways

Even though wikipedia isn't a person

the ad hominem argument is not cool dude.

Yes, you are ignorant, and you are making that apparent everytime you post.

I know you don't like the fact that 50 cent is more successful than opeth. sorry about that, I can't change that ok. No need to attack rap music as a whole because of it.

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
McLovin said:

Rap songs do not involve talent to get success, it is the image that the rap artist that sells.
Drop it like it's hot
Drop it like it's hot
Drop it like it's hot'

oh wow YOU USED AN EXAMPLE FROM A VERY MAINSTREAM SONG. how fucking predictable of someone like you. you are fitting more into the stereotype of some ignorant bitter narrow-minded fuck

omgomgogmogmogm WOW

OMG you are so learned OMG

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
McLovin said:

Drop it like it's hot
Drop it like it's hot
Drop it like it's hot'

This is how I represent I rock the mic 110 percent
It's intimate, I keeps the party moving like a imigrant
Binary Star, superstar its no coincidence
Every verse is intricate, this ain't a circus in a tent
We don't get down like them clowns and the kids
I'm use to being indegent, who said its all about the Benjamin's?
I wanna fortune, I wanna make music and hit the lottery
Fortunately my music is never watery
That's how its gotta be, as far as I can see
Maybe you should grab a telescope to see my veiw its like astronomy
It aint all about economy
so the fact that these wack emcees is making G's don't bother me
Honestly, my number one policy is quality
never sell my soul is my philosophy
High velocity, lyrics like Nastradamus make a prophecy
I told you cats a long time a go it ain't no stoppin' me
I bomb your set that's not a threat its a promise
Got everybody ridin' on my wagon like the Amish
But still I never claim to be a big rap star
So no matter who you are its still Allah who act God
Better believe this, most rappers can't achieve this
I'm bad to the bone but x-rays can't even see this
See I'm strategic I letcha money talk bullshit walk
While I keep it rollin' like parapalegics
Whoever's on the microphone let it be known
You in danger, I got next(necks) like the Boston Strangler
You ain't never heard an emcee speak like this
And Rodney King ain't never felt a beat like this

------------------------------------------

how would you feel if you told me you like, for example, heavy metal, and i was lyke 'oh yah u mean lyke sum 41 omg they suck metal sucks!!!11'

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
icraig88 said:
sif not get me a ticket..

hate you for eternity :(

edit: going to be like cypress hill all over again lol.

wonder how many teenyboppers will pass out from all the hydro smoookeeeeee

sorry dude, i though itold u in a previous post i couldn't afford the buy more than 2 up front on the day. ?

McLovin

HSC
sam04u said:
That's the same for pretty much all mainstream music, but that isn't to say that there isn't a more sophisticated rap culture which hasn't filtered into the mainstream, infact there definitely is a much greater culture, especially now with the technology to produce music in one's own basement.

You see in the past it was music which moved, or entertained the masses that was produced and played by the radio and television stations. But in modern times music is marketed to different sections of society. That's why the good rap music (which has a message that some just don't agree with) wont make it into the mainstream.

I mean you probably have a genre of music which when classified and stereotyped through the mainstream and advertised variety of it would look equally bad. I'm personally into the melodic/polirap genre which I implore you to sample.

No songs do. Have you seen the <b>Pussy Cat Dolls? Britney Spears?</b> The list goes on of talentless "musicians" who are successful. Infact I could more better make a case that music in general is bad based on the mainstream, you shouldn't group music with those same classifications if you don't want to come off as looking ignorant. If you want I could introduce you to some good rap titles if you would be willing to listen to them.
Why are you using Pussy Cat Dolls and Britney Spears as an example?
They are just as guilty as rap artists as yes they may have talent in vocals, they lack the fundamental skill of song writing and creating interest.

Contrast between bands such as Metallica with their Master of Puppets Album, or better yet look into the band Dream Theater. A well respected band with talented musicians that clearly play music because of the passion of it not just to make a buck. You can hear passion in music by the way, it is seen by the efforts in creating variety in a piece by changing dynamics, structure, duration and texture of the song. Rap artists I have heard make no effort to do this and all they seem to do is talk not even sing to a sample beat and a repetitive ostinato that lacks creativity and variety.

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
how about you turn off your fucking radio and stop judging rap based on what you hear in the mainstream you stupid little cunt.

just give up and concentrate on your HSC.

fuck, every few months some little year 11 nad year 12 fucker comes in here spouting crap about 'genres' and gets shut down by people who have a better understanding of music then him.

this has happened to you.

so give up and stop posting.

it's like me judging metallica off some simple plan song i just heard on 104.1

McLovin

HSC
hiphophooray123 said:
oh wow YOU USED AN EXAMPLE FROM A VERY MAINSTREAM SONG. how fucking predictable of someone like you. you are fitting more into the stereotype of some ignorant bitter narrow-minded fuck

omgomgogmogmogm WOW

OMG you are so learned OMG
What makes me narrow minded? The fact I dislike one musical genre?
Am I supposed to like every single genre of music am I?

You should never assume these things because you just make an ass out of yourself. I could of used plenty of examples, I just happened to use an example from an artist that this thread is under.

Also, those lyrics you posted does not change my opinion, yet I am suprised it had no usual repetition it still speaks out like most rap songs with the message 'I HAVE A MASSIVE FUCKING EGO'.

No one really cares about lyrics that just say 'hey im a big shot, no one is better than me'
It is complete arrogance, and I can't believe they actually get sales from this manufactured music!

You always seem to fail at making arguements without just calling me 'fucking ignorant or narrow minded', If I hear this again I might just stop bothering.

Boxes

Banned
HSC
McLovin said:

You should never assume these things because you just make an ass out of yourself. I could of used plenty of examples, I just happened to use an example from an artist that this thread is under.

Also, those lyrics you posted does not change my opinion, yet I am suprised it had no usual repetition it still speaks out like most rap songs with the message 'I HAVE A MASSIVE FUCKING EGO'.

No one really cares about lyrics that just say 'hey im a big shot, no one is better than me'
It is complete arrogance, and I can't believe they actually get sales from this manufactured music!

You always seem to fail at making arguements without just calling me 'fucking ignorant or narrow minded', If I hear this again I might just stop bothering.
barararara

McLovin

HSC
hiphophooray123 said:
how about you turn off your fucking radio and stop judging rap based on what you hear in the mainstream you stupid little cunt.

just give up and concentrate on your HSC.

fuck, every few months some little year 11 nad year 12 fucker comes in here spouting crap about 'genres' and gets shut down by people who have a better understanding of music then him.

this has happened to you.

so give up and stop posting.

it's like me judging metallica off some simple plan song i just heard on 104.1
LOL!
Are you actually saying you have a better understanding of music than I do?
Since I have come up with terminology of music and your arguement has been 'stop being ignorant' I believe YOU are the person with no musical knowledge.

No, it is not comparing Metallica to Simple Plan...
Metallica is a metal band while Simple Plan is Pop Punk..
I compared Snoop Dog with mainstream rap, it is a fair comparison don't you think?

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
McLovin said:
no you stupid cunt, you aren't supposed to like every single genre of music, but don't you dare try and downgrade it with your limited knowledge, maybe explore it more, and more, until you actually know anything about it and then you can make an informed judgement.

but you can't at the moment because you seem to have no knowledge whatsoever.

McLovin said:
yeah, we already know that 50 cent, flo-rida and soulja boy also have shit lyrics.

McLovin said:

you just showed how underexposed you are to the music that you are trying to attack.

McLovin said:
Lost generation, fast paced nation
World population confront they frustration
The principles of true hip-hop have been forsaken
It's all contractual and about money makin
Pretend-to-be cats don't seem to know they limitation
Exact replication and false representation
You wanna be a man, then stand your own
To MC requires skills, I demand some shown
I let the frauds keep frontin
And roam like a celluar phone far from home
Givin crowds what they wantin
Offical hip-hop consumption, the 5th thumpin
Keepin ya party jumpin with an original somethin
Yo, I dedicate this to the one dimension-al
No imagination, excuse for perpetration
My man came over and said, "Yo we thought we heard you"
Joke's on you; you heard a bitin-ass crew but um..

[Chorus: Raphael Saadiq]
Never do....what they do, what they do, what they do...
Never do....what they do, what they do, what they do...

---------------

McLovin said:
i say it because you are and that doesn't seem to be getting through your head, so i have to repeat it. get it, you ignorant ignoramus narrow-minded fuck.

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
McLovin said:
LOL!
Are you actually saying you have a better understanding of music than I do?
Since I have come up with terminology of music and your arguement has been 'stop being ignorant' I believe YOU are the person with no musical knowledge.

No, it is not comparing Metallica to Simple Plan...
Metallica is a metal band while Simple Plan is Pop Punk..
I compared Snoop Dog with mainstream rap, it is a fair comparison don't you think?

key word: mainstream

and yes, i can easily tell that I have alot more musical knowledge than you because I don't go around dissing genres when I haven't explored them enough to make an informed crticism.

The fact that you may throw in the occasional tech term really doesn't mean anything at all and it's a logical error to think it does. Words don't matter, what they mean matters.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
McLovin said:
Why are you using Pussy Cat Dolls and Britney Spears as an example?
I'm convinced you're a troll after reading your argument. It's a shame I didn't pick up on it earlier.

Well played, I should have known nobody could be that stupid and narrow minded.

McLovin

HSC
hiphophooray123 said:
key word: mainstream

and yes, i can easily tell that I have alot more musical knowledge than you because I don't go around dissing genres when I haven't explored them enough to make an informed crticism.

The fact that you may throw in the occasional tech term really doesn't mean anything at all and it's a logical error to think it does. Words don't matter, what they mean matters.
Listening to music alone does not make you an expert on it. I use this actually quite simple terminology not to sound smart but with meaning idiot.

Texture is the layers of sound, rap music generally never changes this layer and keeps it constantly the same. Same instruments (that are actually not even played by a musician), same dynamics and same range and register.

I have explored rap music with an open ear. My brother was obsessed with rap music when he went through his young teenage life 13-15, but he came to his senses and realised how repetitive the genre is. Even those artists who are not so mainstream and there is very little difference between the two. The sublte difference is in the lyrics. By the way, enough of writing lyrics they do not prove any point at all... let me know of some rap songs that have diversity!
Something that changes! I am asking to be proved wrong here, I guess that is also being ignorant aswell though right?

McLovin

HSC
sam04u said:
I'm convinced you're a troll after reading your argument. It's a shame I didn't pick up on it earlier.

Well played, I should have known nobody could be that stupid and narrow minded.
Good one.. although being convinced that someone is a troll makes you clearly the stupid one. Enough of this narrow minded arguement that is getting you no where. All I am saying is there should be diversity in rap music and you cannot handle someone with a different opinion to your own. Thus, it is quite contradictory to call me narrow minded when you are unable to accept differences in opinions.

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
McLovin said:
Texture is the layers of sound, rap music generally never changes this layer and keeps it constantly the same. Same instruments (that are actually not even played by a musician), same dynamics and same range and register.
HAHAHA. Oh man I really love HSC music students.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)