• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Soccer Thread : 2004-05 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

^___^
HSC
ha!

as if scholes and keane is past their best, although the latter needs a break every few wks cos of his old hip, but hey. If keane was in form now, not even gerrard can do a thing.
fletcher is still learning slowly and even though apart from ronaldo our midfield is nothing flashy, it does it's job year in year out :p

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Keane have outplayed Gerrard in recent Man U Liverpool clashez, that still sayz a lot about Keane. Hiz body iz past hiz best, but hiz ability iz still there.

And Scholes didn't look too flashy last term, but I can be quite sure that he can bounce back to form.

Djemba iz now at Villa, and Kleberson iz still there, fuck hez a disappoinment.

^___^
HSC
i reckon ferguson needs to be patient with kelberson..and kelberson himself needs to have more confidence in himself
cos i read a lot of stuff written about how well he is in training, like he pulls out unbelievable stuff, but it just that he doesn't have the confidence on the pitch to do it. I've seen his neat little passes at times so i think if he can hang on, he would be very useful in the future.

Having said that, he might not be that suitable for the premier league, sound more of a la liga player

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
HeCtic said:
You picked a great time to come back to this thread flyin'. Not surprised about your chosen topic of conversation either.

Haha.
I don't think the young Gunners have enough depth or experience (to win) domestically. Their forward line is still Henry. Bergkamp is old. Van Persie is still inexperienced. Reyes hasn't lived up to expectation. CM is Gilberto and Hleb who is untried in EPL. Cesc and Flamini are still young. Who is covering for Ljundberg? Pires may go. Defense is like it usually is, although Lehmann is getting better?!

Anyway, Liverpool are much more interesting these days, especially with the influx. I doubt the Reds will break top 3, because Rafa is still coming to terms with the domestic game. At least it should be more competitive. Kewell isn't going to be playing much considering his "injuries" and poor form. The LW spot can be filled by at least 3 different quality players - Riise, Garcia, Zenden. Baros will need to score, otherwise Cisse (for EPL) and Mori (for ECL) will be the lone striker. I think Garcia will play behind the lone striker. Riise wide left. Zenden or Spanish guy on the right. Stevie G, Alonso, Hamann, Sissoko in the middle. Alonso will probably be more reserved for Europe. Sissoko more for EPL. Hamann as backup. Stevie G should play alot provided he's not injuried. I reckon Liverpool have a very good CM for next season.

I think Chelsea should do well. I think the team is starting to understand itself from playing with the same first XI which is important. Chelsea are starting to play the transfer game better. Essien will probably be on his way, as Chelsea will cough up any money... although, they did try to buy/use Gerrard to reduce the price. Parker gone means Jose will definitely find a holding player because Smertin is gone (loan to Charlton) and noone else is really suited for the ball-winning role.

(Edit - Chelsea have snapped up a French "starlet" who can hold the ball, and is likened to Maka. I reckon it's either Essien or SWP but not both.)

Man Utd really needs their 60 mil strikeforce to find the net a few more times. Fletcher is quite a good prospect, besides he technical ability which is sometimes lacking. Ronaldo is improving but should learn to finish for Man Utd - he can finish for this country alright. Rooney should be rested a bit more.

Last edited:

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
Oh jeebus flyin' not another one of these. I'll humour myself on this occasion though.

flyin' said:
I don't think the young Gunners have enough depth or experience (to win) domestically.
Obviously, seeing as though the vast majority of the squad have Premiership and/or FA Cup winner's medals....

Their forward line is still Henry. Bergkamp is old. Van Persie is still inexperienced. Reyes hasn't lived up to expectation.
A team that scores 87 goals in 38 games isn't an issue for me. Signing Baptista adds a lot of flexibility to our game in Europe so here's hoping that one goes thorugh but domestically we have no real concerns there. I'm not going to bother with your player evaluations.

CM is Gilberto and Hleb who is untried in EPL. Cesc and Flamini are still young. Who is covering for Ljundberg? Pires may go.
Fab and Flamini handled themselves well last season, you saw the effect on our team's cohesion once Gilberto returned to the side. Still six weeks to go till the deadline closes, I'm sure Wenger will bring in another centralised player. Hleb by all accounts had a bad season for Stuttgart last season but still was the top goal maker in Germany. He has the talent to succeed. I'm very excited about that signing. Wingers are not really an issue, with Bentley coming back in and no replacements likely for the wings it shows Wenger has great faith in him.

Defense is like it usually is, although Lehmann is getting better?!
Jens had a storming last few months of the season, a goalkeeper is not top priority at the moment he will last another season. We lacked a good experienced defender whenever Sol was out last season but with Senderos looking the part and Christanval looking like he's signing for us we look good there next season.

Cole's signing an extension to his contract so we're good on the flanks as well.

Anyway, Liverpool are much more interesting these days, especially with the influx. I doubt the Reds will break top 3, because Rafa is still coming to terms with the domestic game.
That sentence alone renders all this:

At least it should be more competitive. Kewell isn't going to be playing much considering his "injuries" and poor form. The LW spot can be filled by at least 3 different quality players - Riise, Garcia, Zenden. Baros will need to score, otherwise Cisse (for EPL) and Mori (for ECL) will be the lone striker. I think Garcia will play behind the lone striker. Riise wide left. Zenden or Spanish guy on the right. Stevie G, Alonso, Hamann, Sissoko in the middle. Alonso will probably be more reserved for Europe. Sissoko more for EPL. Hamann as backup. Stevie G should play alot provided he's not injuried. I reckon Liverpool have a very good CM for next season.
irrelevant, unless Liverpool's Spanish pansies can learn to take the kicking they receive away from home in England, challenging the top 3 is a bit of a pipe dream. Apart from Reina none of their signings would get near the Arsenal or Chelsea first teams. Not gonna be closing the gap enough to challenge.

I think Chelsea should do well. I think the team is starting to understand itself from playing with the same first XI which is important. Chelsea are starting to play the transfer game better. Essien will probably be on his way, as Chelsea will cough up any money... although, they did try to buy/use Gerrard to reduce the price. Parker gone means Jose will definitely find a holding player because Smertin is gone (loan to Charlton) and noone else is really suited for the ball-winning role.
Obviously money means everything right? How's the striker hunt going for you? If Chelsea can keep the same level of defensive stability they'll clean up next season, but it remains to be seen whether they'll have the same hunger defending the title as they did winning it, especially now as they're the raging favourties.

(Edit - Chelsea have snapped up a French "starlet" who can hold the ball, and is likened to Maka. I reckon it's either Essien or SWP but not both.)
Let's see if he'll get out of the reserves anytime soon.

Man Utd really needs their 60 mil strikeforce to find the net a few more times. Fletcher is quite a good prospect, besides he technical ability which is sometimes lacking. Ronaldo is improving but should learn to finish for Man Utd - he can finish for this country alright. Rooney should be rested a bit more.
-Overpriced and overrated is how I'd describe United's forward line.

-Fletcher a good prospect? Okay then......

-Ronnie nedds to learn end product before he can be described as anything near wold class. Obviously has the potential but nowhere near as effective as all the Ronaldo dick-riders make him out to be.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Tabloid Talk

July 17:

Bolton are weighing up a move for Internazionale winger Andy van der Meyde.

Manchester City are thought to preparing a move for Liverpool's Harry Kewell as a replacement for Chelsea target Shaun Wright-Phillips

Newcastle are being linked with moves for Manchester United defender John O'Shea and Liverpool's Sami Hyypia

Portsmouth could raid fierce rivals Southampton for Antti Niemi.

Arsenal are expected to clinch the signing of Sevilla striker Julio Baptista next week with Javier Saviola set to replace him at the Spanish side.

Lee Bowyer could return to former club Charlton from Newcastle if The Addicks pay £2 million for his services.

Manchester City could rival Blackburn for the signing of Andy Cole from Fulham

Fulham are thought to be considering a move for former star Sean Davis from Tottenham

Portsmouth are lining up a move for Henri Camara as a replacement for Yakubu.

Manchester United are ready to battle Arsenal for Newcastle's Jermaine Jenas.

Van der Meyde would be so good for us!

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
flyin' said:
Err....neither of them are French.
The signing is actually French Under-21 International Lassana Diarra.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Bolten got Jared Borgetti, now thatz what I call a good signin.

Meanwhile Chelsea and Man City have agreed on a fee fo the transfer of SWP.

Last edited:
HSC
Wow ... Chelsea finally got there player in S.W.P, only costing $21 million pounds.

Click Here.

They've signed smarter this season compared with the last one, the squad didn't need major changes - if anything it was still too big even after players like Melchiot left. I reckon Everton had been the most stringent in the transfer market and if they pick up Coco from Inter they'll be challenging for the Top 4 again no problems.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
I hope Cahill is a huge season in Europe. Hmm imagine if everton still had rooney, but then again they wouldnt of been able to build the team they have now.

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
So with SWP on board, will Chel$ki still b goin after Essien?

Srsly how many world-class midfielders do u need? :rolleyes:

Buggdogg

HSC
N/A

-Ronnie nedds to learn end product before he can be described as anything near wold class. Obviously has the potential but nowhere near as effective as all the Ronaldo dick-riders make him out to be.

Its all good and well to bag ronnie but he's by far and away the best attacking player we had last season.
Although I agree with you on the count of Fletcher. Whoever identified an ounce of talent in that twit needs their eyes checked. Can't pass, can't attack, doesn't defend, never scores. Nuff said.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
A Fletcher Keane midfield combo did outplay Arsenal in the 04 FA Cup semi final, I remember he played quite well that day too, absolutely owned Vieira. He ain't nothin flashy, but iz a good squad player. Now if only Fergie used Kleberson instead of him, I wonder what would have happened...

Buggdogg

HSC
N/A
LMF^^ said:
A Fletcher Keane midfield combo did outplay Arsenal in the 04 FA Cup semi final, I remember he played quite well that day too, absolutely owned Vieira. He ain't nothin flashy, but iz a good squad player. Now if only Fergie used Kleberson instead of him, I wonder what would have happened...
Every game I watch where he plays, he seems to be more of a liability for us. He doesn't add anything to them, and when he's in you feel like you've lost something. We could raise a little bit of money if we sold him and palmed him off to a club like west brom - where he would be a decent player.

All through the champs league Man U said they were very interested in Essien. As soon as Chelski get wiff of it they get out the check book.
What a joke!

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Well it seemz now they won't be needin Essien any mo since SWP iz comin in, so thatz fo Essien wantin to move to Chelsea. Lyon iz reluctant to sell him too so I don't think Man U will thrash out 30 quidz to get him in.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
bazookajoe said:
Err....neither of them are French.
The signing is actually French Under-21 International Lassana Diarra.
Err... I know. I was referring to the French youngster they signed. My reference to Essien and SWP was that Chelsea would sign one but not both.

HeCtic said:
Oh jeebus flyin' not another one of these. I'll humour myself on this occasion though.

Obviously, seeing as though the vast majority of the squad have Premiership and/or FA Cup winner's medals....

A team that scores 87 goals in 38 games isn't an issue for me. Signing Baptista adds a lot of flexibility to our game in Europe so here's hoping that one goes thorugh but domestically we have no real concerns there. I'm not going to bother with your player evaluations.

Fab and Flamini handled themselves well last season, you saw the effect on our team's cohesion once Gilberto returned to the side. Still six weeks to go till the deadline closes, I'm sure Wenger will bring in another centralised player. Hleb by all accounts had a bad season for Stuttgart last season but still was the top goal maker in Germany. He has the talent to succeed. I'm very excited about that signing. Wingers are not really an issue, with Bentley coming back in and no replacements likely for the wings it shows Wenger has great faith in him.

Jens had a storming last few months of the season, a goalkeeper is not top priority at the moment he will last another season. We lacked a good experienced defender whenever Sol was out last season but with Senderos looking the part and Christanval looking like he's signing for us we look good there next season.

Cole's signing an extension to his contract so we're good on the flanks as well.

That sentence alone renders all this:

irrelevant, unless Liverpool's Spanish pansies can learn to take the kicking they receive away from home in England, challenging the top 3 is a bit of a pipe dream. Apart from Reina none of their signings would get near the Arsenal or Chelsea first teams. Not gonna be closing the gap enough to challenge.

Obviously money means everything right? How's the striker hunt going for you? If Chelsea can keep the same level of defensive stability they'll clean up next season, but it remains to be seen whether they'll have the same hunger defending the title as they did winning it, especially now as they're the raging favourties.

Let's see if he'll get out of the reserves anytime soon.

The fact that Man Utd lost the FA Cup final... doesn't mean the outplayed Arsenal team is to be feared. The youngsters (Cesc and Flam) are decent, but not good enough yet - you can't rely on them to get you through a season. The other thing is: FA Cup doesn't compare to EPL. I'd buy myself an EPL title before an FA Cup anyday. Those famous word by Keane (before Man Utd had to settle for that). With Vieria gone, there is less cover for CBs. Gilberto can't do it all. Isn't Bentley a striker? (Wait, so was Wiltord.)

Liverpool's CM is fine, Zenden is good, Cisse is overrated, defense is similar... they can only improve.

I reckon it'll be closer, but between Arsenal and Man Utd. If Ricardo keeps playing the Chelsea defense will keep leaking goals. But with SWP or Essien, we're going to score the goals we need. Plus Jose will by now learn to rest his wide men a bit more. Strikers isnt' a concern, because Jose prefers 4-1-3-1 anyway. And Crespo will be a different player from the super sub we saw earlier. We have 4 strikers, with C Cole, who is pretty good as a super sub.

Never said Ronaldo was world class. Just said he needed to learn to finish.. and I'm sure he will. He's still got a decade to practice and learn.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
how are you gonna fit SWP, duff and robben into the same team at the same time...

in other news, roman ran out of things to buy so he decided to get george dubya's bullet-proof campaign bus for the chelsea team to travel, at a price of 1.5mil.... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)