some one who got a 97.30 ATAR without studying? (1 Viewer)

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
mmm true, I never really made it out to be a big deal, but then I sorta mucked up my external exams cos the pressure kinda got to me. My internals were all roughly 2 marks higher than my externals. Luckily I had put in a consistent effort throughout the year and achieved decent ranks
That's why you go to a selective school, if the pressure brings u down, U always have the comfort that ur school assessment mark will pull you up. but in my school my internals brought me down and I regretted not topping every course possible!

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
out of curiosity, what were her subjects?

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
Well, if she spent 15 hours (guess) studying for each subject the day before each exam, this could be considered the equivalent of a person spending an hour a day on a subject with 15 days to go to the exam. If she did this for every subject she had (lets say 5) she would have complied a total 75 hours, which is still significantly more than most students would do.
Makes sense to an extent, but I still think it is almost impossible to bag that ATAR whilst only studying the day before an exam

zhiying

HSC
Tutoring isn't necessary for English imo, I came to Australia 8 years ago with 0 English, never went tutoring and ended up with a 92 in Advanced :S Never listened to teachers telling me to read books lol, in the end just learn how to write essays and memorise them for year 12, that's basically all I did.

Maybe she studied without telling you. I know some people that work hard and tell nobody, not because they are modest or anything. I guess some people would even tell others they don't try so they wont feel as shit if they dont get what they expected. Cynical yes, but these people are quite common.

enoilgam

HSC
Makes sense to an extent, but I still think it is almost impossible to bag that ATAR whilst only studying the day before an exam
I dont understand it either - cramming was useless for me, but some people swear that it works better than studying consistantly over a certain period.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
She was probably lucky during the HSC period OR her examination technique was way better than majority of the state possibly?

khfreakau

HSC
this girl sounds like a classic snake of the venomous variety.

HSC
i dont know if it is possible, and personally im skeptical about it, but if it is true, its a comforting thought
It is possible. Had a friend who got in the 95s for UAI and did the same cramming method for his HSC. He had this philosophy that 'studying was a privilege' and that if he didn't understand the concepts taught to him in class, then he didn't "deserve' to revise. Ridiculous, i know and he knows that now too. I guess some people just absorb information much quicker than others.

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
no extension subjects?! wow, she must have done well. do you know what marks she got for external?
I'm not too sure what her split was, but her marks were

English Adv: 93
Chem: 92
Physics: 89
SOR 2U: 94
Maths 2 U: 86

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Some people are really good at cramming and can get good marks without working consistently. One example would be annabackwards on these forums :p

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
People can just rely on their natural intelligence to succeed in life. Sad but true. (though i doubt she was as bad as she said)

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
^ I'm alright, but if someone doesn't know much two days before an exam, it is impossible for a tutor to do anything

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
I didn't cram much for the HSC, but learnt the art of cramming at uni.

IMO, it is definitely possible to achieve even higher ATAR with cramming if she understood all concepts beforehand. I did indeed study consistently for my HSC subjects, but for uni subjects (science/maths), it seems that 3 days of intense cramming does the job in most cases. (and uni subs are in general filled with heavier workload than HSC ones.)

Cramming can be unbelievably effective if you have study materials organised beforehand. I believe this was (or was close to) her case.

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, it happens.

Imagine what she could've achieved if she had been consistent! :)

The smartest student I have ever taught only got an ATAR of 95.2 I think, but he never studied. He was smarter than the students I taught this year who got 99+ ATAR's and smarter than me when I was in Year 12.

Some people just naturally have it, some need to work harder than others. Just remember, although it may seem like he "wasted" his talent as he is capable of 99+ ATAR, HSC means jack all.. He will be able to do whatever he wants in life.

Smartest guy I have ever met only did enough to pass subjects at university, and I mean get exactly 50. He knew the answers to everything, but he would just allocate which marks he needed to pass and just do answers to them.

2nd Year university and he was already working part-time for some huge engineering firm on an insane amount of $$$

Last edited:

AzlanlovesSNSD

HSC
i slept at 3- 4am b4 all my exams(cept maths.which i just gave up on) cramming things i had never even learnt before(esp phys nd chem)

got 97.95

i can relate with this girl, we just cant study unless we have the the adrenaline rush of being completely screwed.

also i dont think im bright but i know i have really good cramming methods and 4Can MEMORIZE ALOT IN A SHORT period of time.

this way of work is wrong and i learnt that when i got too cocky and believed i could get 98 atar.

must change in UNI to understand my real potential.

HSC
Uni Grad
entirely possible

if i might add, fairly easy

^especially in skills based subjects (maths) if you're a quick learner and have good memory

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)