SOR I - Section 3! YOUR THOUGHTS (1 Viewer)

Cloesd

HSC
don't worry guys.
there is a conspiracy theory going around that the board of studies used the wrong syllabus to create section 3.
well that's what i heard anyway.
Can't be the questions looked almost identical to what we'd expect in our syllabus, but with a twist. For the conspiracy theory to fly, there needs to have been a syllabus almost exactly like the one we use in existence, for which there'd be no reason.

I think the examiner just got creative... with people's futures.

whatbetch

HSC
Our schools doing an investigation but im pretty sure it was a studies of religion 2 questiion that they put in our paper... by accident...
assholes
for the depth studies there is no difference what so ever between relgion 1 unit and relgion 2 unit, you just have to do three religions instead of one..
the questions made no sense to a 2 unit relgion kid either.
so that's definitely not the problem (someone would have realised by now if it was LOL), it's jsut waht the board of studies did with the questions this year.

Matty91

HSC
ONLY now i wanna go to a public school, why didnt i think of that earlier hahaha

Lacheron09

HSC
i don't know what the hell you guys are going on about
section 3 was heaps easy... totally unrelated to the syllabus maybe... but easy none the less

Zantico

HSC
Started 2.05Pm , walked out 3.05pm.

90%+ for first 30 marks, <4/ 20 for last 20 marks

+1 for 12 units

Cloesd

HSC
for the depth studies there is no difference what so ever between relgion 1 unit and relgion 2 unit, you just have to do three religions instead of one..
the questions made no sense to a 2 unit relgion kid either.
so that's definitely not the problem (someone would have realised by now if it was LOL), it's jsut waht the board of studies did with the questions this year.
For those that did Christianity:

"With reference to Luke's post resurrection account in the quotation, assess Christianity as a living religious tradition in the life of its adherents."

Assess, (form an opinion, and it better be a positive opinion on the religion otherwise low marks... the illusion of choice...)

Christianity as a living religious tradition<--- ongoing, still happening, still "practicing".

In the life of its adherents<-------- In the everyday life of its followers.

Essentially the question read:

Christianity is not a dead religion, this is because people in the faith do stuff, how effective in your opinion is the stuff that they do?

They were clearly asking for a practice. It simply wasn't in the style people were expecting.

I personally went to a school that taught Baptism as the practice. The quote read

"Now it came to pass, as he sat at the table with them, that he took bread, blessed it and broke it, and gave it to them. Then their eyes were opened and they knew him; and he vanished from their sight. And they said to one another did not our heart burn within us while he opened the scripture to us"

After a few minutes of contemplating what this could mean i concluded that they wanted an essay on baptism that incorporated the quote. Baptism is something performed by the adherents to re-enact.... hmm... what were they re-enacting...

I was stumped... re-enact what? I looked at the quote... Re-enact the baptism of Jesus.

Thus i made sense of it as such. I said take this quote for example, it shows that religious belief can be propagated and sustained by practices, in the quote this is shown as the disciples re-enacting the last supper" but this principle of physical re-enactment for theological preservation still applies in the premise of baptism.

and then went on about what we learned in class for a further 7 pages, linking each specific point back to how it propagates the faith. Ie, welcomes new members, fosters sense of community, the use of water re-affirms Old testaments Noah story, cleansing of sin making community, feel guiltless again, the saving from original sin.

Last edited:

emmcyclopedia

HSC
For those that did Christianity:

"With reference to Luke's post resurrection account in the quotation, assess Christianity as a living religious tradition in the life of its adherents."

Assess, (form an opinion, and it better be a positive opinion on the religion otherwise low marks... the illusion of choice...)

Christianity as a living religious tradition<--- ongoing, still happening, still "practicing".

In the life of its adherents<-------- In the everyday life of its followers.

Essentially the question read:

Christianity is not a dead religion, this is because people in the faith do stuff, how effective in your opinion is the stuff that they do?

They were clearly asking for a practice. It simply wasn't in the style people were expecting.

I personally went to a school that taught Baptism as the practice. The quote read

"Now it came to pass, as he sat at the table with them, that he took bread, blessed it and broke it, and gave it to them. Then their eyes were opened and they knew him; and he vanished from their sight. And they said to one another did not our heart burn within us while he opened the scripture to us"

After a few minutes of contemplating what this could mean i concluded that they wanted an essay on baptism that incorporated the quote. Baptism is something performed by the adherents to re-enact.... hmm... what were they re-enacting...

I was stumped... re-enact what? I looked at the quote... Re-enact the baptism of Jesus.

Thus i made sense of it as such. I said take this quote for example, it shows that religious belief can be propagated and sustained by practices, in the quote this is shown as the disciples re-enacting the last supper" but this principle of physical re-enactment for theological preservation still applies in the premise of baptism.

and then went on about what we learned in class for a further 7 pages.

Very clever what you did. You thought on ur feet well.
Pretty sure mine was nowhere near as direct as that... and I managed to talk about baptism and bioethics... lol. im hoping to get at least 10... would be sick to pass =P

Evil Sprinkles

HSC
our school is lodging a formal complaint because of the question, no one was prepared for quotes like that or the question given...i wrote 6 pages of bullshit on the everyday christian adherent but nothing like i thought id do :(
I managed to squeeze in 5 and a bit pages, mainly referring to sihnificant practises and laws/teachings and how it impacts on adherents daily lives.
5 and a bit pages of bullshit that never should have happened.

Aardvark

HSC
I completely disagree, and think if that's what they meant they would've said it. I interpreted it as saying it's a living religion...i.e. there's a living god, a phrase I've heard many a time.

Even if that's half wrong, "living religion" could be interpreted as up and vibrant and such, in which case my full answer is still half right. But I don't feel the obvious "still in existence" definition was the one they were looking for.

As a side note, I found it mildly amusing that the quote said they "knew him". We all know what the Bible means when it says someone "knew" someone, don't we?

Last edited:

raniaaa

:)
HSC
I'm in 2U, but it started out with the supervisors reading through our exams to check for the questions, we all flip to the back for the question and the greatest shock of our life. We were all getting quite weary, then one student stated that why is the question for Christianity so different/we havnt learn anything like that/teachers never told us etc etc

most were getting stressed out and they called our teachers to come have a look at the question, they called the board of studies and mind you we were ment to start at 1.55 did NOT start until 3.00pm

and BOS stated that they CANT do anything because there is a choice for that question, so do the other five options. The teachers also CANT do anything about it, and the teachers told us that they will fill out a misadventure form as a group for us...for the reason im not so sure yet, i'll get back with that tomorrow.

It could be our teachers stressed that whatever for Christianity was, bioethics/person/practice and ALL of us did an essay on christianity and had NO idea whatso ever with the other qt and it turned out that a retarded qt which stuffed everyone up.

Weird thing is, the 1 unit people did not complain nor realized it until the end of their exams. lol true story.

hmm are you someone from my school? apparently the 2units did that.. and i'm in 1unit and noone said anything

Evil Sprinkles

HSC
u have pretty much screwed up ur hsc if u get below 60% in SOR1 because it will scale u down a lot. u might as well stop trying unless u wanna do something in uni tat requires below an ATAR of 75.

Yes oh holy one. Would you like me to kiss your feet and wipe your ass while im at it?

Fuck up faggot.
People are havin a bad enough time over that question as it is without you telling them that they "might as well stop trying"

Get the fuck out

Cloesd

HSC
I completely disagree, and think if that's what they meant they would've said it. I interpreted it as saying it's a living religion...i.e. there's a living god, a phrase I've heard many a time.

Even if that's half wrong, "living religion" could be interpreted as up and vibrant and such, in which case my full answer is still half right. But I don't feel the obvious "still in existence" definition was the one they were looking for.

As a side note, I found it mildly amusing that the quote said they "knew him". We all know what the Bible means when it says someone "knew" someone, don't we?

Perhaps... the phrase "I'm a practicing catholic" was involved in my arrival at that conclusion.

I can see what you're saying, but the Board of studies can't really ask a question outside of the syllabus. Although i too thought of what else "living religious tradition" could possibly mean, the lines of thought only met once within the scope of the syllabus, and so i took that to be what was being asked.

xXLucieXx

HSC
ummm section III on judaism was retarted? laws and rules ...comparison with love of god? i was stumped , deff didnt get that 20 marks

Evil Sprinkles

HSC
yeah let's not mention that, religions got me depressed enough :p

Aghh, same.
Im gonna burn my Cloudstreet book after these exams. I dont ever want to have anything to do with critical studies of texts or history and memory EVER again :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)