SRC Elections '07 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Sara > Kate.

Random Trivia #24: The peak national student body once contributed funds to the PLO.

ElGronko

Not premium
HSC
Justin, your major flaw this year was having an out of the closet jew as your figurhead.

less focus on Jew, more focus on issues.

PS, I still have that Millie 2000 Olympics doll.

I was going to vote for ink for honi because they say they won't make honi a political mag, but I don't know anymore. I'll probably vote shout.

Also, why didn't you guys any writing in the election honi? That was a disappointment, but whatever.

Go election!

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Random Trivia #24: The peak national student body once contributed funds to the PLO.
If I had money I'd give it to the PLO too. Kate/Sara 4 prez!

The only reason why I'd pick Sara over Kate, is because she really hit quite a nerve the other day when she gave us a lecture bash. How many students do know where the SRC office is? How many students do involve themselves a bit in their affairs, and/or care? If the Kate type people have been in power for seven years, I'd like to give it to Sara and co to see what they can do, if anything.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
The only reason why I'd pick Sara over Kate, is because she really hit quite a nerve the other day when she gave us a lecture bash. How many students do know where the SRC office is? How many students do involve themselves a bit in their affairs, and/or care? If the Kate type people have been in power for seven years, I'd like to give it to Sara and co to see what they can do, if anything.
I can't help noticing that despite all the posturing, the SaRa FoR pReZ!!!11!!1! campaign hasn't actually made any proposals about how the SRC could be made more relevant to students. Her policy seems to be basically the same as Kate's, which is 'Keep it the way it is'. The way it is, of course, is that it offers some support services for the minority of students with academic/legal problems and then serves mainly as a political platform. Partially for the SRC leaders' own political views that have no relevance to the SRC, partially for actual student issues, but the latter is neutralised by the fact that the organisers don't seem to understand that posters and street/campus protests are not particularly effective methods of causing political change.

Also, she has this really annoying campaign image:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
ElGronko said:
Justin, your major flaw this year was having an out of the closet jew as your figurhead.

less focus on Jew, more focus on issues.

PS, I still have that Millie 2000 Olympics doll.

I was going to vote for ink for honi because they say they won't make honi a political mag, but I don't know anymore. I'll probably vote shout.

Also, why didn't you guys any writing in the election honi? That was a disappointment, but whatever.

Go election!
I wanted to make our honi blurb one of my satirical blog posts, but no one else agreed as they were "too offensive".

I like Sara over Kate for prez purely because NLS has been running the SRC for the whole time I've been at university, making the same promises every year, and delivering nothing to anyone except their waged office bearers.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Triangulum said:
I can't help noticing that despite all the posturing, the SaRa FoR pReZ!!!11!!1! campaign hasn't actually made any proposals about how the SRC could be made more relevant to students. Her policy seems to be basically the same as Kate's, which is 'Keep it the way it is'. The way it is, of course, is that it offers some support services for the minority of students with academic/legal problems and then serves mainly as a political platform. Partially for the SRC leaders' own political views that have no relevance to the SRC, partially for actual student issues, but the latter is neutralised by the fact that the organisers don't seem to understand that posters and street/campus protests are not particularly effective methods of causing political change.
I think the SRC is about as relevant as it could ever be. Frankly, aside from the excellent idea of textbook hire (which is a fanbloodytastic idea), I don't see too many drastic ways in which it could make itself more relevant. I think, based off nothing more than my own thoughts, that the way that they'd make the SRC more accesible for students is to publicise it a little more, that's all. That seems fairly admirable. And as WAF said, I think it's time for a change to see if something could happen from a change in management, and I sure as hell don't want to give it over to those crazy right-wing engo studentds.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i wish people wouldnt campaign on things that (whilst important) they cant change

i.e. youth allowance, HECS increases, cost of degreez

if you want to campaign on that stuff join a political party and take it to the federal election

Ruchir

HSC
I usually don't like to post if the conversation has a justified flow, but I felt like I needed to clarify a few things.

Firstly, labor-left has won 4 presidents and not 7 in the last 7 years. The two before (excluding Luke Whitington- because of the way he had to be brought in to power) ran with broad left and labor left and decided to join the labor-left in the later half of their terms. Of course, this doesn't make any difference.

Secondly, Justin it is easy to say the NLS has run on same policies without acknowledging their hard work. Of course, they've had a few core ideologies (such as no tolerance against discrimination), but so have the broad left and the liberals. But there have also always been fresh ideas and plans like this year, for eg, for international students, 'NOW!' is running on getting the SRC to provide free migration advice like free legal advice, campaigning for more accommodation around campus from university and better language support by the faculty(three most relevant issues to international students). We have already been campaigning for the latter two (in our meetings with International office and John Hearn - you'll notice in MyUni if you are an international student) and the first one is in works but has to wait till the financial agreements are panned out.

Again, thats where Sara and the broad left lack experience and the diplomacy needed for working on the agreements, negotiating with the University and planning re-location to USyd Central early next year for the funding that Angus has been successful in achieving for the next three years. These discussions have to be carried out and signed by early next year and given Kate's experience in the Senate Liaison Committee, she would be able to negotiate well. In fact, Debrah Lamborn from DVC Community's office asked Angus to run again or make sure "our" candidate got elected so that SRC's future is not at stake. More importantly Kate's and "NOW!"'s ideas are a lot more relevant to campus than Sara's.

When you talk about the increase in pay of SRC officers Justin, in my last three years here the pay of the president has remained the same and the number of paid office bearer positions have gone down to 4! In fact, the past two years there have been two office bearers sharing each for two of those positions which means even lesser pay for the amount of work these OBs put in. You'd know if you attend execs Justin(and please don't say that you've not been given notice- because I can produce evidence against that) how much work the OBs have been putting in this year.

Of course there are a lot more reasons why one should vote for Kate and NOW! over others. I agree with people when they say 'change is important'. But it is important to realise that over the last 4 years there have been different styles of leadership and different presidents have achieved various things. If it wasn't for Angus or Nick, the SRC wouldn't be able to provide the services at the same level it does. Also, the libs wouldn't be talking about the Book shop now if Nick hadn't worked hard on getting it in its current location to earn money for student welfare at Sydney Uni. And Kate at the same level can bring in quite a different level of leadership which could see a sealed financial future for the SRC.

Justin, if the libs spent their time more constructively by talking with students and campaigning harder instead of chalking "Kate is a slut" or "Kate <- whore", I'm sure you could get more than 10%.

jb_nc

Google &quot;9-11&quot; and &quot;truth&quot;
HSC
N/A
Ruchir said:
I usually don't like to post if the conversation has a justified flow, but I felt like I needed to clarify a few things.

Firstly, labor-left has won 4 presidents and not 7 in the last 7 years. The two before (excluding Luke Whitington- because of the way he had to be brought in to power) ran with broad left and labor left and decided to join the labor-left in the later half of their terms. Of course, this doesn't make any difference.

Secondly, Justin it is easy to say the NLS has run on same policies without acknowledging their hard work. Of course, they've had a few core ideologies (such as no tolerance against discrimination), but so have the broad left and the liberals. But there have also always been fresh ideas and plans like this year, for eg, for international students, 'NOW!' is running on getting the SRC to provide free migration advice like free legal advice, campaigning for more accommodation around campus from university and better language support by the faculty(three most relevant issues to international students). We have already been campaigning for the latter two (in our meetings with International office and John Hearn - you'll notice in MyUni if you are an international student) and the first one is in works but has to wait till the financial agreements are panned out.

Again, thats where Sara and the broad left lack experience and the diplomacy needed for working on the agreements, negotiating with the University and planning re-location to USyd Central early next year for the funding that Angus has been successful in achieving for the next three years. These discussions have to be carried out and signed by early next year and given Kate's experience in the Senate Liaison Committee, she would be able to negotiate well. In fact, Debrah Lamborn from DVC Community's office asked Angus to run again or make sure "our" candidate got elected so that SRC's future is not at stake. More importantly Kate's and "NOW!"'s ideas are a lot more relevant to campus than Sara's.

When you talk about the increase in pay of SRC officers Justin, in my last three years here the pay of the president has remained the same and the number of paid office bearer positions have gone down to 4! In fact, the past two years there have been two office bearers sharing each for two of those positions which means even lesser pay for the amount of work these OBs put in. You'd know if you attend execs Justin(and please don't say that you've not been given notice- because I can produce evidence against that) how much work the OBs have been putting in this year.

Of course there are a lot more reasons why one should vote for Kate and NOW! over others. I agree with people when they say 'change is important'. But it is important to realise that over the last 4 years there have been different styles of leadership and different presidents have achieved various things. If it wasn't for Angus or Nick, the SRC wouldn't be able to provide the services at the same level it does. Also, the libs wouldn't be talking about the Book shop now if Nick hadn't worked hard on getting it in its current location to earn money for student welfare at Sydney Uni. And Kate at the same level can bring in quite a different level of leadership which could see a sealed financial future for the SRC.

Justin, if the libs spent their time more constructively by talking with students and campaigning harder instead of chalking "Kate is a slut" or "Kate <- whore", I'm sure you could get more than 10%.
so go donate some money to the PLO about it

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
yay!

I still stand by my ol' "what harm can a change bring about" idea, so meh. I did get me a vote Sara t-shirt today, which is pretty groovy. 'Spose I better wear it.

HSC
^ It should be easier for me to spot you then. Supporters for Sara are rare and so are redheads. But the two combined makes you one of a kind!

Arise

HSC
The SRC provides some important services...that students never hear about unless they read Honi cover to cover. 90% of what you see from the SRC is to do with changing government policies that not only do the SRC have absolutely no control over at all, bu often aren't relevant to students. And how do they achieve these aims? Through the tried and tested methods of handin flyers to students and mass rallys of DOZENS of students that will 100% end the war on Iraq.

Also, what the hell does Angus do that could possibly warrant a $30K p/a salary? Seriously, I felt sick when I heard that.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Ruchir said:
Ruchir, I'd alert you to Part 8 s26 (a) (ii) of the regulations, which states (A) A person shall not in relation to an election, print, publish or distribute, or cause, permit or authorise to be printed, published or distributed, any matter or thing containing a statement: (aa) that is untrue: and (bb) that is, or is likely to be, misleading or deceptive. (cc) that is discriminatory on the grounds of sex, sexuality, race and ethnicity and disability.

You've reproduced a vicious rumour for which you have no evidence, one which even the far left doesn't believe, and one which is entirely inconsistent with the events which occurred on the night in question. For this reason you've been reported to the electoral officer with a recommendation that you be disqualified.

I mean we've had Vishal from Mojo tell Sonia Lipski (falsely) that Josh said she only got such a large proportion of the vote because she "was dressed like a whore in a mini skirt", vicious personal attacks in print form against both ourselves and the Ink ticket in what's supposedly a preview of what honi under Mojo would look like and on top of this someone's framed us as misogynist (I think I can make an educated guess as to who). The whole thing's completely fucking grubby on the part of Mojo, and it's a shame to have to see Josh go through this shit.

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
withoutaface said:
lol is that Vishal S.?
His mum came to my house to chat with my mum a few days ago.
Kidnap tym3.

J0KIN...

Vishal? I wouldn't have picked that, he was decent enough when I went to school with him.
lol small werld.

Last edited:

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
But how can you expect people not to defame each other during SRC elections? After all, the stakes are so high.

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Malfoy said:
Fuck, Justin, that's insane. :/

Which Honi is that in? I'm guessing the "misogynist" comments are coming from women's activists of some kind or whoever Kate's supporters are?

Vishal? I wouldn't have picked that, he was decent enough when I went to school with him.

I've been off campus for two weeks and I'm not in any way involved in student politics any more so I had no clue this was going on.
Alice Workman managed to fit the publication of a mini-honi into her hectic eating schedule, then they distributed it.

veridis

droog
HSC
withoutaface said:
Alice Workman managed to fit the publication of a mini-honi into her hectic eating schedule, then they distributed it.
can't help but lol at the fact that this is your next post after being all up on your high horse about personal attacks

jb_nc

Google &quot;9-11&quot; and &quot;truth&quot;
HSC
N/A
is alice workman that fat one that is near fisher w/ the anti-war bridage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)