SRC Elections 2005 (6 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
Techie said:
I am a centre-left, Labor-following student, and as such, your statements that lefties don't listen to anyone, and that people who follow Labor only do so because it's apparently cool, affect me.
well then i guess i should change my statement to the "ones i have spoken to".

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Techie said:
I am a centre-left, Labor-following student, and as such, your statements that lefties don't listen to anyone, and that people who follow Labor only do so because it's apparently cool, affect me.

From the site:

"OUR CANDIADATES [sic, again :)]

1. Tom Watson

2. Tim Andrews

3. Simon Fontana

4. Duncan McKay

5. Lara Andrews

6. Anna Chochula

7. Howard Humphreys

8. Abigail Shead

9. Julian McDonald

10. Samuel Thampapillai

11. Jackson Fan

12. Tim Suttie

13. Rhys Thomas

14. Chris Koureas

15. Charles Perrotet

16. Joel Gilbourd

17. Phil Santucci

18. Dominic Perrotet

19. Charbel Abouraad

20. Clare Watson

21. Mark Homeming

22. Clifford Smee

23. Monica Tudehope"

I disregarded Sonia because to me, immediate past president is more of a courtesy appointment to executive than anything else.
Seems they missed a couple in the Honi then, or we cut them off or something.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Techie said:
I hope that post was a joke because the inherent self-contradiction is amazing. Firstly you tell someone off for making generalisations, then come out with some massively unjustified statement about how students follow Labor policies because they want to be cool. Most people in the Labor club, if not the wider student body, would probably be fairly offended at the suggestion that nobody has any principles, but just takes a certain view because it's trendy. Besides which, I don't think being on the left has ever been particularly trendy, the reason most students are positioned there is because the right screws them over by reducing assistance and raising fees.

And secondly, "lefties never listen to what anyone has to say but their own kind. im sick of people like that" has got to be the biggest pot-kettle-black statement I've heard in a fair while :rolleyes:
Being left is trendy. I've found the majority of people. after finding out that I'm a member of the Liberal party, have remarked "ewwww" or something similar, because there is a definite social stigma against right wing students on campus. This is partially because young people will tend to be more idealistic than the rest of the population, leftist views appeal to students' selfish nature to get what they want at the present time (in particular having lower fees, higher youth allowance etc, VSU could be debated either way, with many people on either side of the fence having potential to be labelled as selfish), and because, in general, the views of the right are misrepresented by the student organisations on campus through gross simplification or exaggeration.

Students are prepositioned to champion the causes of the left and despise the right, but that's not to say that there aren't many people on the left who have well thought out and researched views, merely that there are a lot of sheep in the flock who are too lazy to do research into issues for themselves and will just take everything the SRC says on face value.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Oi! who the fuck keeps deleting posts? wiki's got deleted. Mine got deleted.
Stop being mod-power hungry.
I think we're mature enough to handle ourselves alone. After all, we are all big kids here.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Just keep in mind that there is also a considerable flock of apolitical/apathetic students, in addition to many who blindly subscribe conservative/right wing ideologies, calculon (that should be a given, but you tend to ignore the blingingly obvious whenever you have a chance to kick the progressives/the left).

stazi said:
Oi! who the fuck keeps deleting posts? wiki's got deleted. Mine got deleted.
Stop being mod-power hungry.
I think we're mature enough to handle ourselves alone. After all, we are all big kids here.
Complain to an admin if that's truly the case. The mod does seem over-zealous at times, though.

Last edited:

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
withoutaface said:
Being left is trendy. I've found the majority of people. after finding out that I'm a member of the Liberal party, have remarked "ewwww" or something similar, because there is a definite social stigma against right wing students on campus. This is partially because young people will tend to be more idealistic than the rest of the population, leftist views appeal to students' selfish nature to get what they want at the present time (in particular having lower fees, higher youth allowance etc, VSU could be debated either way, with many people on either side of the fence having potential to be labelled as selfish), and because, in general, the views of the right are misrepresented by the student organisations on campus through gross simplification or exaggeration.
Oh waf, youre such a tardwhore. And yes, it is extremely hypocritical to suggest that left-wingers are selfish. Youll find left-wingers have a much broader idea of social, economic ad environmental issues than many right-wingers generally, no not merely sheep in any fashion dissimilar to that of any particular faction. And why do you imply that only young people are lefties. Come to the economic and business faculty and youll find that not only are the majority of students lefties, but so are the majority of lecturers and tutors. Why? Because the intellectual left have always held power within university institutions in much the same way as they do in the US, just be thankful that the intellectual left/conservative government paradox is not as pronounced here. Yet, though Nelson is actively seeking to change that.

To imply that lefties are the only people guided by selfishness is not only false but a sad inditement of a broader view of the left among right-wingers. It is likewise implausible to argue that the right are misrepresented in any form differently to how the left are misrepresented among the right. Obviously, if you are arguing against someone you will try to improve your argument by denigrating the opponent, though, this is true of both sides of the political/social spectrum.

By arguing that students a prepositioned to either side of the political spectrum; you are not only labelling the student body as a whole incapable of forming their own views, but also underhandedly stating your own superiority by not falling into the same leftist enviro-bin as everyone else. Your ignorance is noted.

<3 abs

stazi

Nightman
HSC
absolution* said:
Oh waf, youre such a tardwhore. And yes, it is extremely hypocritical to suggest that left-wingers are selfish. Youll find left-wingers have a much broader idea of social, economic ad environmental issues than many right-wingers generally, no not merely sheep in any fashion dissimilar to that of any particular faction. And why do you imply that only young people are lefties. Come to the economic and business faculty and youll find that not only are the majority of students lefties, but so are the majority of lecturers and tutors. Why? Because the intellectual left have always held power within university institutions in much the same way as they do in the US, just be thankful that the intellectual left/conservative government paradox is not as pronounced here. Yet, though Nelson is actively seeking to change that.

To imply that lefties are the only people guided by selfishness is not only false but a sad inditement of a broader view of the left among right-wingers. It is likewise implausible to argue that the right are misrepresented in any form differently to how the left are misrepresented among the right. Obviously, if you are arguing against someone you will try to improve your argument by denigrating the opponent, though, this is true of both sides of the political/social spectrum.

By arguing that students a prepositioned to either side of the political spectrum; you are not only labelling the student body as a whole incapable of forming their own views, but also underhandedly stating your own superiority by not falling into the same leftist enviro-bin as everyone else. Your ignorance is noted.

<3 abs
that was brilliant.
<3

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
got some gay senate letter today which i binned
do not collect $200

as if not make it postage paid so some ppl might bother voting

Generator

HSC
N/A
Did the mod bother to define what she considers an 'attack' to be? Some of calculon's posts (and grk_styl's, too) haven't exactly been virtuous in nature, after all.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
oh noes! people disagreeing on opinions and having goes at each other!? what is the world coming to!!

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
As she is not running running for SRC (and thus open to attack), why the is ujuphleg a moderator? She's rarely online and doesnt seem to be particularly intelligent.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
maybe we should have an SRC Election-type campaign for BOS USYD Moderator 05

myg0t

myg0t
HSC
anyone notice that bloke who is running for src, no policies no nothing but just fancies himself a general chance because he will be at the top of the voting paper??

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
Generator said:
Did the mod bother to define what she considers an 'attack' to be? Some of calculon's posts (and grk_styl's, too) haven't exactly been virtuous in nature, after all.
well i said "majority of labor followers", and if that's not you (or stas or whoever) then put yourself in the category of "minority" and move on.

oh and wikiwiki don't flatter yourself.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
grk_styl said:
well i said "majority of labor followers", and if that's not you (or stas or whoever) then put yourself in the category of "minority" and move on.

oh and wikiwiki don't flatter yourself.
I'm not exactly a labour 'follower'

Generator

HSC
N/A
grk_styl said:
You didn't upset me (a Democrat voter who preferences the ALP), but given the unreasonable conditions that have been set in place by the moderator, don't you think that it's unfair to delete one remark that's spiteful and leave another that's inflammatory?

I'm happy to see that you are still continuing with the baseless attacks that are sure to provoke an irrational response or two. Keep up the good work.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
in conclusion.

1. waf is shit.

2. wikiwiki > grk_styl.

3. me and stas are sex.

4. resolve: makequahhistory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)