SRC Elections 2005 (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Note to all: Pick up an Election Edition of Honi Soit - its really good for outlining all the procedures for voting, and more importantly, the pictures and ideas for everyone running. Remember, its important to take the time to vote, as ultimately they are YOUR representatives.

Plebeian

Fortunately for us, I highly doubt that will happen. Even someone with the political skills of Tony Abbott didn't manage the Presidency as a Liberal. The fact is that Liberal policy is generally not in the best interests of students, and recent Young Liberal doctrines like "trash motels so that NUS has to foot the repair bill" are hardly likely to sway the student body.

And from his website, Tom Watson hardly seems the person to lead them to victory. His self-contradictory policy starts out championing the will of the majority, and then praises the VSU counter-protestors who were obviously in the minority. As I have said before, to me he is very unconvincing in his claim that he alone is in touch with the will of the majority, considering the past results of elections for SRC and Union Board.

I also like his claim that his team is from "all political persuasion (sic)", given that the entire Executive of the Liberal Club is on his ticket.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChemicalAcey

HSC
Just a quick note

Withoutaface is a hardcore rightwing liberal,
Who refused to sign the petition (which everyone else in the class did) specifically about creating an environmentally sustainable campus. I thought this is pretty important seeing as he's running in the environmentally sustainable campus ticket.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
wikiwiki said:
Degree?

Damn they give degrees to anyone these days :(

Bachelor of Education?

Hahahahaha. It suits you :)
great generalisation :rolleyes:

this is why i want a liberal src. majority of uni students follow labor policies - not because they know what the policies are, but because they think "it's cool". these losers seem to think that if u follow the majority "I'm cool". pfffft. and it's funny how lefties never listen to what anyone has to say but their own kind. im sick of people like that.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
grk_styl said:
lol

i wasnt suggesting u were a lefty, it was just a statement.
the election is rubbish, but if you can't beat 'em, join 'em
there's not much of a difference between stating something and suggesting it

if you can't beat them, join them. hmmm...democracy in action. kudos to you.
are you going to join the US army too?

Plebeian

grk_styl said:
great generalisation :rolleyes:

this is why i want a liberal src. majority of uni students follow labor policies - not because they know what the policies are, but because they think "it's cool". these losers seem to think that if u follow the majority "I'm cool". pfffft. and it's funny how lefties never listen to what anyone has to say but their own kind. im sick of people like that.
I hope that post was a joke because the inherent self-contradiction is amazing. Firstly you tell someone off for making generalisations, then come out with some massively unjustified statement about how students follow Labor policies because they want to be cool. Most people in the Labor club, if not the wider student body, would probably be fairly offended at the suggestion that nobody has any principles, but just takes a certain view because it's trendy. Besides which, I don't think being on the left has ever been particularly trendy, the reason most students are positioned there is because the right screws them over by reducing assistance and raising fees.

And secondly, "lefties never listen to what anyone has to say but their own kind. im sick of people like that" has got to be the biggest pot-kettle-black statement I've heard in a fair while :rolleyes:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
ChemicalAcey said:
Just a quick note

Withoutaface is a hardcore rightwing liberal,
Who refused to sign the petition (which everyone else in the class did) specifically about creating an environmentally sustainable campus. I thought this is pretty important seeing as he's running in the environmentally sustainable campus ticket.
Thanks for that Anthony, I'm sure the 1% of the forum that didn't already know I was a member of the Liberal party appreciates it.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Techie said:
Fortunately for us, I highly doubt that will happen. Even someone with the political skills of Tony Abbott didn't manage the Presidency as a Liberal. The fact is that Liberal policy is generally not in the best interests of students, and recent Young Liberal doctrines like "trash motels so that NUS has to foot the repair bill" are hardly likely to sway the student body.

And from his website, Tom Watson hardly seems the person to lead them to victory. His self-contradictory policy starts out championing the will of the majority, and then praises the VSU counter-protestors who were obviously in the minority. As I have said before, to me he is very unconvincing in his claim that he alone is in touch with the will of the majority, considering the past results of elections for SRC and Union Board.

I also like his claim that his team is from "all political persuasion (sic)", given that the entire Executive of the Liberal Club is on his ticket.
Where are Monica, Sonia and Philip on this ticket?

Also note that it actually says that it's a team "for" all political persuasions, meaning that the spending of CHOICE, if elected, would be on things that benefit everyone rather than biased political campaigns, not that there are people from all parts of the political spectrum on the ticket.

EDIT: I'd also like to note that the typos/non-sensical penultimate paragraph in my ticket's policy statement are not my fault.

Last edited:

gerhard

HSC
tell watson to stop fucking wet chalking the place.

ill give watson last place on my ballet instead of quah if he doesnt. thats a big call too because i was looking forward to putting quah last on my ballet.

also, are the liberals seriously a chance? like, how have the last votes for src prez panned out?

it seems like a bit of a one horse race at the moment, i cant see nick wood losing.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
Techie said:
I hope that post was a joke because the inherent self-contradiction is amazing. Firstly you tell someone off for making generalisations, then come out with some massively unjustified statement about how students follow Labor policies because they want to be cool. Most people in the Labor club, if not the wider student body, would probably be fairly offended at the suggestion that nobody has any principles, but just takes a certain view because it's trendy. Besides which, I don't think being on the left has ever been particularly trendy, the reason most students are positioned there is because the right screws them over by reducing assistance and raising fees.

And secondly, "lefties never listen to what anyone has to say but their own kind. im sick of people like that" has got to be the biggest pot-kettle-black statement I've heard in a fair while :rolleyes:
my "great generalisation" was on the basis that wikiwiki was possibly insinuating something because I do a B Ed.

sorry that my generalisation comes from the fact that all labor following uni students that i have spoken to really do have nfi and are just following their policies for the sake of it. perhaps i need to talk to more people. quick jump to your defence though, especially when i wasnt talking about ANYTHING you said.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Oh Jem I got you a shirt, msn me later and I'll figure out when I can get it to you tomorrow.

Plebeian

grk_styl said:
quick jump to your defence though, especially when i wasnt talking about ANYTHING you said.
I am a centre-left, Labor-following student, and as such, your statements that lefties don't listen to anyone, and that people who follow Labor only do so because it's apparently cool, affect me.

withoutaface said:
Where are Monica, Phillip and Sonia on this ticket?
From the site:

"OUR CANDIADATES [sic, again :)]

1. Tom Watson

2. Tim Andrews

3. Simon Fontana

4. Duncan McKay

5. Lara Andrews

6. Anna Chochula

7. Howard Humphreys

8. Abigail Shead

9. Julian McDonald

10. Samuel Thampapillai

11. Jackson Fan

12. Tim Suttie

13. Rhys Thomas

14. Chris Koureas

15. Charles Perrotet

16. Joel Gilbourd

17. Phil Santucci

18. Dominic Perrotet

19. Charbel Abouraad

20. Clare Watson

21. Mark Homeming

22. Clifford Smee

23. Monica Tudehope"

I disregarded Sonia because to me, immediate past president is more of a courtesy appointment to executive than anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)