State rank (1 Viewer)

determine

Premium Member
HSC
hey, if i get 70 in visual arts, dt and society and culture, do you think I can still get an ATAR of 98? :( help please! i erally want to get into medicine at some university. thanks.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
nope. you need at least 90s in those subjects because they don't scale well.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
My dentist said that if you wanted to get into Medicine or any other course like that: Chemistry, Physics, Biology and high level Maths (Maths Ext. 1 and 2) is recommended.

And even if you get a high ATAR, I'm sure the people who will interview you will say, "Why did you not take any sciences in high school?" Don't quote me on that - that's what I think they would say. I know I would ask that.

K

khorne

...Yeah, it would be a bit sus, if you haven't taken any sciences and no maths, yet want to do a heavily science based course at Uni.

jet

Banned
HSC
Sydney Uni doesn't require you to have a science-based degree. As long as you can prove you have the skills (through gamsat), then it isn't a problem.

theMoment

HSC
My dentist said that if you wanted to get into Medicine or any other course like that: Chemistry, Physics, Biology and high level Maths (Maths Ext. 1 and 2) is recommended.

And even if you get a high ATAR, I'm sure the people who will interview you will say, "Why did you not take any sciences in high school?" Don't quote me on that - that's what I think they would say. I know I would ask that.

Shadowdude's subjects:

2010 HSC.

Adv. English
| Ext. 1 English | Ext. 2 English | Maths | Maths Ext. 1 | Maths Ext. 2 | Chemistry | Physics | Legal Studies

scardizzle

Salve!
HSC
Shadowdude's subjects:

2010 HSC.

Adv. English
| Ext. 1 English | Ext. 2 English | Maths | Maths Ext. 1 | Maths Ext. 2 | Chemistry | Physics | Legal Studies

meh so he changed tense, he probably was rushing his post...

also 14 units damn....

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
do you need to do advanced english for medicine at usyd? coz someone said that u do..

Paradox.101

HSC
Just crush her dreams...
I feel so damn sympathetic when a thread like this comes up just to be told something the reality.

By the way, ninety, what happened to your ATAR aim of 99?!

Last edited:

jet

Banned
HSC
do you need to do advanced english for medicine at usyd? coz someone said that u do..
Medicine at USYD is postgraduate - i.e. you have to have done a degree before you go into medicine.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
Just crush her dreams...
I feel so damn sympathetic when a thread like this comes up just to be told something the reality.

Yeah, I feel sympathetic for her too, but it's better for her to know now than later because she still has time to improve and stuff.

changed it. It's a bit too unrealistic. I'll change it back to 99 if I continue to do well into Year 12.

jetblack2007 said:
Medicine at USYD is postgraduate - i.e. you have to have done a degree before you go into medicine.
that's awesome. are there any courses that list advanced english as a prerequisite or as assumed knowledge?

Lukybear

HSC
wth man... doctors can be multi talented. Infact it will probably good for her if she does arts + dt+ soc&culture as it shows she is broad mindedd. Will come in handy in interview.

But some unis do require chem as pre-req and standard english.

q3thefish

HSC
You basically need at least all your subjects at mid 90s to secure your med position.

Arg.. with those subjects, go study yo ass off and get state ranks or somethin

determine

Premium Member
HSC
What level of maths and english do you do determine?
well apart from society and culture and visual arts and DT, I also do 4u maths and 4u english. well I will be doing that for Year 12. haha. quite unexpected probably, but yeah, that's my subject selection.

determine

Premium Member
HSC
Just crush her dreams...

it's okay paradox. to be honest, I'd rather a direct and honest approach as opposed to a lie. I'm not particularly familar with the scaling system and its functioning, so yeah, I had no idea what to expect in response. I'm glad I was told the truth though - I wouldn't have wanted to form some false assumptions which would have worked out badly for me in the long-run! Thanks people! Appreciated. = )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)