• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

State Ranking (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
midifile said:
:eek: Thanks for that.

Maybe if I get a state rank in 3u youll be getting one in 2u as well.

Anyway, we'll see on the 16th of December
lol

state-rank is not necessarily the first rank. You don't get to get a hand shaked with Nathan boy if you don't come first.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
lyounamu said:
lol

state-rank is not necessarily the first rank. You don't get to get a hand shaked with Nathan boy if you don't come first.
I thought they announced all state ranks on that day... Or is it only first ranks?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
midifile said:
I thought they announced all state ranks on that day... Or is it only first ranks?
Do they? I am not sure. I am sorry for my lack of info on this area.

But good luck in the exam tomorrow - I am sure you are pumped for that. It's time for me to retreat to my bed to have some nice sleep before HSC.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
lyounamu said:

But good luck in the exam tomorrow - I am sure you are pumped for that. It's time for me to retreat to my bed to have some nice sleep before HSC.
Lol. I have no idea either.

Good luck to you too :)

P

pLuvia

For a shot to get a state ranking in 3u maths, you need at the very minimum 99 HSC MARK or 98 (but that's unlikely since it is 3u) and even then you may not even get a state rank.

I know I few people who have got 99 and still no state ranking

Zephyrio

HSC
If you think about it, around 20 people at Ruse will be getting 99 or 100 in 3U. Added to that, students from NSG, Baulko, Grammar etc. will also get 99+.

LOL.

My friend from Ruse got 82/84 in his trial and was ranked in the late 20's.

Last edited:

snowconesyum

HSC
lyounamu said:

yeah i'm pretty sure they tell you on the 16th, my friends got places in chem and i seem to remember the list coming out on that day..

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Based on last year's data, the 99th percentile is a HSC mark of 99. The candidature last year was 8614, which meant at LEAST 86 (most likely more) people got a HSC mark of 99 or above. To get a state ranking in Extension 1, you basically have to get 100. Whenever there are ties, they compare performances in either 2 unit or Extension 2 to break it up, though after this ties may still occur. In 2006, the first place in the state for Mathematics Extension 1 was tied with two people...

shaon0

HSC
I reckon next year, lolokay will state-rank in MX2 and there are a few others who have the potential to state rank on BoS.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
shaon0 said:
I reckon next year, lolokay will state-rank in MX2 and there are a few others who have the potential to state rank on BoS.
Too early to tell even though it's possible.

shaon0

HSC
lyounamu said:
Too early to tell even though it's possible.
I'm almost positive that he'll state rank unless he makes some careless errors.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
shaon0 said:
I'm almost positive that he'll state rank unless he makes some careless errors.
Here is a thing:

there was a guy called Laurie Fields. He was part of the Maths Olympiad and he represented Australia. He was a genius mathematician and he was basically the top in his awesome team. So it's not an understatement that he was one of the top in Australia in that age group at that time. Probably everyone was expecting him to get state ranks - at least top 10. I am pretty sure everyone was expecting him to come first but he didn't get any state rank in maths.

He pulled off great results though. So what does that really say? You never know. I think luck comes in to this area.

shaon0

HSC
lyounamu said:
Here is a thing:

there was a guy called Laurie Fields. He was part of the Maths Olympiad and he represented Australia. He was a genius mathematician and he was basically the top in his awesome team. So it's not an understatement that he was one of the top in Australia in that age group at that time. Probably everyone was expecting him to get state ranks - at least top 10. I am pretty sure everyone was expecting him to come first but he didn't get any state rank in maths.

He pulled off great results though. So what does that really say? You never know. I think luck comes in to this area.
Yeah, i said that if he doesn't make careless errors. he'll state rank.
Laurie Fields probably made careless mistakes, that usually happens to people who are really good at maths.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
shaon0 said:
Yeah, i said that if he doesn't make careless errors. he'll state rank.
Laurie Fields probably made careless mistakes, that usually happens to people who are really good at maths.
Then you cannot make a statement where you go "I am almost positive". All the smart people are up for state ranks without careless errors. In that case, you can get a state-rank too.

You cannot make a judgment of someone's ability in depth just by looking over his help throughout the website. And you have to take into account of the quality of the students in 4 unit maths in general.

shaon0

HSC
lyounamu said:
Then you cannot make a statement where you go "I am almost positive". All the smart people are up for state ranks without careless errors. In that case, you can get a state-rank too.

You cannot make a judgment of someone's ability in depth just by looking over his help throughout the website. And you have to take into account of the quality of the students in 4 unit maths in general.
I doubt i'd state rank. Talking about state rankings, how did maths 2unit? Think your going to state rank?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
shaon0 said:
I doubt i'd state rank. Talking about state rankings, how did maths 2unit? Think your going to state rank?
Hahaha...2 unit?

I don't know. It was an easy paper where I could misreably underperform to my standards due to few silly errors. As I said, luck comes into play here. I really reckon tonnes of people are capable of getting 120 in this exam given how easy this was but I reckon only few people in reality will get it because of the silly errors. Even though x number of people can be capable to get a state rank, only few of the lucky ones will get one. I reckon all the factors such as exam condition play out in this...and all these other things that we have no control of...

I don't know if I will get a state-rank or not because even if I got all questions correct, if marker doesn't like my interpretation of the question - working-out, I can also lose marks...I really don't know but so far, it looks about right. So I cannot make a definite statement...

shaon0

HSC
lyounamu said:
Hahaha...2 unit?

I don't know. It was an easy paper where I could misreably underperform to my standards due to few silly errors. As I said, luck comes into play here. I really reckon tonnes of people are capable of getting 120 in this exam given how easy this was but I reckon only few people in reality will get it because of the silly errors. Even though x number of people can be capable to get a state rank, only few of the lucky ones will get one. I reckon all the factors such as exam condition play out in this...and all these other things that we have no control of...

I don't know if I will get a state-rank or not because even if I got all questions correct, if marker doesn't like my interpretation of the question - working-out, I can also lose marks...I really don't know but so far, it looks about right. So I cannot make a definite statement...
That's the problem with 2unit and even 3unit maths. Its very easy to lose marks due to silly errors whereas in 4unit maths, if you know the question you've got the marks (bar silly mistakes) and if you don't know it, you'll have a hard time in that question at least.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
shaon0 said:
whereas in 4unit maths, if you know the question you've got the marks (bar silly mistakes) and if you don't know it, you'll have a hard time in that question at least.
isn't that the same as 2unit and 3unit

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
shaon0 said:
That's the problem with 2unit and even 3unit maths. Its very easy to lose marks due to silly errors whereas in 4unit maths, if you know the question you've got the marks (bar silly mistakes) and if you don't know it, you'll have a hard time in that question at least.
I am not sure about that. It depends on the exam. I heard from one of my mate that he could do all the questions in 2007 4 unit paper without too much problem but when he actually did the paper for practice he lost all these marks. It really depends on how difficult paper gets. Some papers never get difficult enough to differentiate students...

Same thing can be said of 3 unit too. In some exams, questions can be of a bitch level that not many people can pull off 100%... but in some exams the exam is absolutely lol-worthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)