Strike on the first two days of school (2009) (2 Viewers)

studentcheese

HSC
I have heard various rumours that there is going to be a strike on the first two days of school (2009). These rumours seem to be confirmed here: http://www.solidarity.net.au/web/nsw-teachers-plan-48-hour-strike-in-january-09/ :D

Has anyone else heard anything about this? I am worried because I am coming back to Australia a few days after school begins... If there is a strike, then I won't have to worry about informing the school about my late arrival.

*prays* I hope there is really a strike! I asked a teacher and she said that school begins on the 28th January 2008. I hope she is wrong, and that a note about the strike will be issued out soon!

Yeah... so what do you think I should do? Should I inform the school about my extended leave or should I skip a few days of school next year without telling?

I hope I can get out of this without telling the school.

Thanks

rolror88

HSC
N/A
According to the article, there is a possibility that it could be called off if the Governmnet agrees with the teacher's union on their demands?

I originally planned to spend my holidays overseas and come back a little later too, but I ended up changing that because I was going to a new school and it'll take some time to get used to the environment. Don't know what the system's like at your school, but at my current school , we'd be asked to notify them so that they don't get rid of our spots of anything like that.

studentcheese

HSC
ah okay. I think I'll type a note out to inform the school. But still... I hope there is a strike!

HSC
didnt teachers go on strike like two weeks ago to discuss this..?

or was that over pay again

monesh

HSC
who cares...2 days on top of a 6 week break is nothing.

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
Look, I would still let the school know that you are coming back late and do the right thing. If teachers do the wrong thing and strike, then you just heap coals on their bad behaviour by behaving in a proper manner.

The strikes are silly. Back the bad old days of former Labor governments. Don't believe everthing the teachers tell you about the reasons for their strikes. The Teachers' Federation are spinning a story when it comes to the whole staffing system.

Yes, teachers deserve more money (no one can argue with that) and they can certainly ask for more, but they should also be happy with any increase to start with and say "Thanks, now more please." If more teachers left because of the pay problem, then someone might actually get the message. Market demand sets the rates.

Now staffing. Let me tell you of two scenarios that happened at the same school in the same year. Two teachers were working as temporary staff members at a school. Both were highly experienced and very professional teachers. One could not get onto the DET's "list" for whatever reason, for priority placement (or any placement) despite having been in the system for YEARS! (I'm talking decades.) The other was a physics teacher of 30 years with 85% of his current Year 12 getting Band 5 & 6 in the HSC that year. BUT DET would not recognise him as a Physics teacher because he had no "formal qualifications".

Both these teachers were shafted and given the flick because they were temporary teachers and temporary and casual teachers are not entitled (under the old staffing system) to apply for the job they are occupying. The DET will fill them from the "list". Teacher not on the "list" left teaching, because she realised she would never get a permanent appointment. Teacher 2 was replaced with a new, first year out, retrainee physics teacher.

Under the new system, temporary and casuals can apply for jobs (AFTER the priority transfer system has done it's thing).

I rest my case. I don't support their strikes.

Iruka

HSC
N/A
Yes, the employment and recruitment system at DET is completely dysfunctional.

I wish more teachers would vote with their feet, though, and find alternate employment - either at a non-DET school or outside teaching. Then they would be forced to DO something about the way DET is run.

studentcheese

HSC
Fair Enough. I can't wait to go to Canada! I'm so excited :D Anyone been there before? What's it like?

byakuya kuchiki

HSC
LOL....Canada should be alright...i'm going there next April during the Easter holidays so i don't miss out on school (year 11)

Prelim subjects:

3U Maths
3U English
Chemistry
Physics
Modern History
Business Studies

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
My school ain't having 2-day strike. What's the hype over two days. My school have 10 weeks beforehand! YES!

HSC
lol i want to go back to school anyway

@studentcheese

i went to canada for a week..just for skiing and my mum
wanted to go see the rocky mountains..it's really good
ski-wise

Last edited:

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
haha, you yr 11 people shudn't worry too much. its much the same as previous years.

Kikkoman

HSC
I agree, year 11 is quite overrated. In almost no way does it count to your HSC (only maaaaaybe it cooooooooould affect what class you get into), and you're only doing subjects you chose to be doing... except probably English. But then with that, everyone is in the same boat, so stop complaining.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
Kikkoman said:
I agree, year 11 is quite overrated. In almost no way does it count to your HSC (only maaaaaybe it cooooooooould affect what class you get into), and you're only doing subjects you chose to be doing... except probably English. But then with that, everyone is in the same boat, so stop complaining.
not really, some people want to do english

HSC
superelizabeth said:
isn't the workload going to double? =/
Despite what teachers may have scared you into believing, no.
It's really not; especially at the beginning of the year.

Kikkoman

HSC
Read, Tim : PROBABLY English. It's not liked by a helluva lot of people, but there are some who do like it, which is why I did use the word 'probably'

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)