student allowance - get rid of it... (1 Viewer)

Crestwood's_G

In Elegance
HSC
Mike Ockisard said:
deal with it. my parents earned too much as well, so i had to qualify to be independent of them by working for 18 months. i now get youth allowance, and i still work.

i by no means 'dont need' the money; object so someone telling me that im screwing the system when i worked my arse off for 18 months, when you obviously haven't; and anyone that doesnt work at all and is just living off youth allowance would be living a very low-income life.
how are you independent from them? you most likely live in their house...therefore there is no independence

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
He's independent because he has worked enough to prove that he CAN support himself. Where he lives is irrelevent.

pottsy44

HSC
we 'used' to get youth allowance when my mum (i only live with my mum) was earning under 50k (she nows earns 55k and we dont get youth allowance).

but we (myself and 3 sisters) gave our youth allowance to our mother while we were still at school, but when me and my older sister began uni we got the money because of uni fees, books, petrol etc.

if your parents are not in a position to support you, you have got to bite the bullet and get a full time job, its as simple as that. i dont complain that i get no support from my mum, i just go out there and do what i have to do.

i also pay board to my mum and whilst working full time, i am still able to attend uni semi-full time.

on another note, some families (mine included) depended on these payments to just 'live' my mum still has a mortgage that will take atleast another 10 years to pay off and she is 52 and she has got barely any super (i suspect it to be roughly 30k). now dont tell me your life isnt fair.

Last edited:

*Minka*

HSC
I have never even tried to get it because I know there is no way in hell they'd give it to me with my parents incomes, but I know that like all things, there are people who need it and people who are able to take advantage of the system. Guess it is just the way these things work.

I have a part time job, but only so it looks good on my resume when I apply for things after Uni, not because I actually need the money. I am lucky like that.

volition

arr.
HSC
BlackDragon said:
There will always be people who exploit things.
It not only creates an opening for exploitation, I think it reduces the incentive to work(even if only after the inital 18 months).

Mike Ockisard said:
if you don't want the money, fine, that's your perogative.......but dont come on here bitching about it like a little girl, it's your choice to not do the hard yards first....you're the only one stopping yourself from getting it
This doesn't tell the whole story though, because whether we like it or not, we ARE paying for other people's allowances through our taxes.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
People seem to forget that Youth Allowance payments count as taxable income too... so we also pay taxes.

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
Crestwood's_G said:
ok...i am not whatsoever jealous...

i am angry that some people are allowed to claim this and i am not because the only parent in my family supposedly earns more than 2 parents in another...

the money is meant to be spent on TAFE or uni...whereas the kid (its mostly teens who claim it) keep it to themselves and spend it on leisure...

it is therefore assumed TAFE and uni is being paid for by their parents...so why give these people money when it is obvious they dont need it...thats 5000 dollars of mine and your tax dollars going to lazy arse kids who are spending uni money on petrol and going out with mates...

whereas i have worked hard to buy my car and earn money to go out with mates...

its simply stupid...

give your opinions...and i also realise that this student allowance isnt always spent this way
Yes ok mr silver spoon, without that money most of the people who get it wouldn't be able to go to university or tafe. Youi want to bitch about inequality? Why don't you take a look at the actual rate of income that is makes students eligible for these allowances. Do you realise how difficult it is for a student to be spending money on university when these is that little inflow coming into a household? No you obviously don't because if you are assuming that the parents will PAY for university or tafe than you're a fucking moron. How can they possibly fork out the funds necessary to support a university student (tafe I'm not so sure) on a low level income.

Now you take the 110 dollars a week that they're getting and lcompare at the benefits your parents have given you and realise that you are way ahead all up. And if they haven't given you these benefits after you sit down and weigh it up, go bitch to them and not the government.

I'm sorry Mr elitist but get the fuck over yourself! There are enough people quite literally "buying" their degree as is and as liberal as this government can get I'm glad that there is an opportunity there to produce a professional out of the not-so-well-off families.

Crestwood's_G

In Elegance
HSC
nick1048 said:
Yes ok mr silver spoon, without that money most of the people who get it wouldn't be able to go to university or tafe. Youi want to bitch about inequality? Why don't you take a look at the actual rate of income that is makes students eligible for these allowances. Do you realise how difficult it is for a student to be spending money on university when these is that little inflow coming into a household? No you obviously don't because if you are assuming that the parents will PAY for university or tafe than you're a fucking moron. How can they possibly fork out the funds necessary to support a university student (tafe I'm not so sure) on a low level income.

Now you take the 110 dollars a week that they're getting and lcompare at the benefits your parents have given you and realise that you are way ahead all up. And if they haven't given you these benefits after you sit down and weigh it up, go bitch to them and not the government.

I'm sorry Mr elitist but get the fuck over yourself! There are enough people quite literally "buying" their degree as is and as liberal as this government can get I'm glad that there is an opportunity there to produce a professional out of the not-so-well-off families.
first off...only one of my parents works..they have to pay bills (a 5 minute shower is too long)...they have to pay mortgage...i have to pay 70 bucks a week board...and what benfits? if i went to uni id have to pay HECs and pay for uni myself and wouldnt recieve "student allowance"

so STFU please...stupid leb :rofl:

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
my mum is a single one with 3 of us still living at home. She works part time as my youngest brother is still in primary and needs to be home before and after school. My brother and I both get YA which pays for my expenses for uni which include travel, textbooks, readers, anything that I need to get. I also work which gives me money to spend on clothes and all of those sort of things (and really I dont buy anything that is too expensive even if i am having a rich week) IF youthink that we are all lazy arses....... I have done 2/3 of my degree and worked all the way through it and especially these holidays where I have worked my arse off on 2 jobs. AND before that when i had to do my UNPAID practical I was working that 35 hours p/week x 6 weeks + both my myer and my other job. for most of those weeks i was doing 55-65 hours a week. So if you think that we are lazy just because we need some extra help to 'survive' you need to take another look. Yes i got YA during that time but if my income gets too high then tehy will reduce it plain and simple and I will be supporting myself a little more. When i start earning 42-47k next year I will be able to pay off some of my HECS that you tax payers (myself included) have contributed to help me get my degree and then you will stop complaining i guess?

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
HSC
Crestwood's_G said:
first off...only one of my parents works..they have to pay bills (a 5 minute shower is too long)...they have to pay mortgage...i have to pay 70 bucks a week board...and what benfits? if i went to uni id have to pay HECs and pay for uni myself and wouldnt recieve "student allowance"

Pricks like you should get your facts straight before taking a bitch against issues that affect people nationwide. I don't care who works, both parents, one parent or just your fucking family pet. The point is your household, as a unit, earns more than the eligibility test allows.

It comes across as so ignorantly arrogant that you should ask "what benefits?" Here's an idea you little wanker, if the money people get via a student allowance is such an unfair sum, why don't you leave home? Johnny Howard will give you $320 a fortnight AND allow you to earn up to $6k before even considering taxing you. What's the bet you won't last a year before you run back home. I don't think there is anything wrong with the rules as they stand, there are obvious exploitations - which have their own channels of being dealt with.

LOL @ "if I went to uni" - yeah I'm real sure you'd get a degree with this mentality, and I'm not leb you racist fuck.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
You know what is ridiculous? The quota your parents can earn which is something like $31 000. That's so low. In England if you parents earn below $45k, the government will give you ~$6k per year to study. That's heaps. I think the parental income limit should be lifted. God knows everyone's' parents pay enough in taxes for the Federal Government to afford it.

If I can't get youth allowance, I'm going to take out a deferred student loan with a bank of around $10k and pay it back once I start working.

Last edited:

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
HSC
jb_nc said:
You know what is ridiculous? The quota your parents can earn which is something like $31 000. That's so low. In England if you parents earn below $45k, the government will give you ~$6k per year to study. That's heaps. I think the parental income limit should be lifted. God knows everyone's' parents pay enough in taxes for the Federal Government to afford it.

If I can't get youth allowance, I'm going to take out a deferred student loan with a bank of around $10k and pay it back once I start working.
Transfer payments such as these comprise huge areas of government spending. From an economic perspective this level satisfies both the low income earners without "wasting" too much revenue. I'm guessing this is the logic, I can only see this figure increasing slightly if at all in the future.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Crestwood's_G said:

And if you went to uni and had to pay for it, you would be eligible for Youth Allowance. A lot of people I know are on it because we all have to leave home to go to university since it's in Armidale. In fact, most people who leave home for any university get Youth Allowance. Most of mine goes into the $928 I have to pay each month in college fees.

Crestwood's_G

In Elegance
HSC
nick1048 said:
Pricks like you should get your facts straight before taking a bitch against issues that affect people nationwide. I don't care who works, both parents, one parent or just your fucking family pet. The point is your household, as a unit, earns more than the eligibility test allows.

It comes across as so ignorantly arrogant that you should ask "what benefits?" Here's an idea you little wanker, if the money people get via a student allowance is such an unfair sum, why don't you leave home? Johnny Howard will give you $320 a fortnight AND allow you to earn up to $6k before even considering taxing you. What's the bet you won't last a year before you run back home. I don't think there is anything wrong with the rules as they stand, there are obvious exploitations - which have their own channels of being dealt with.

LOL @ "if I went to uni" - yeah I'm real sure you'd get a degree with this mentality, and I'm not leb you racist fuck.
you are arab of some sort, syrian??? haha...and yeah i couldve gone to uni...my UAI was 76.30...but i chose not too...all im saying is you fuckhead...that some people are spending their "student allowance" on getting pissed...whilst their parents pay their uni/tafe fees...it doesnt matter if their parents are struggling to pay the fees...its the fact that they are paying them at alll when the govt is giving money so they can pay the fees...are you too dumb to realise that???

and what mentality? i think that people are abusing the money they are given...the money should be given to their parents...not allowed to be put into their bank accounts...you see i never disagreed with the payment...i disagreed with idiots wasting the money...

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
HSC
Crestwood's_G said:
you are arab of some sort, syrian??? haha...and yeah i couldve gone to uni...my UAI was 76.30...but i chose not too...all im saying is you fuckhead...that some people are spending their "student allowance" on getting pissed...whilst their parents pay their uni/tafe fees...it doesnt matter if their parents are struggling to pay the fees...its the fact that they are paying them at alll when the govt is giving money so they can pay the fees...are you too dumb to realise that???

and what mentality? i think that people are abusing the money they are given...the money should be given to their parents...not allowed to be put into their bank accounts...you see i never disagreed with the payment...i disagreed with idiots wasting the money...
So based on the undisclosed percentage of students that are boozing up with their student allowance you think we should abolish it all together.

I'm fucking glad you're not in any position that could make this happen -_-'

Arab of some sort rofl wrong again.

Crestwood's_G

In Elegance
HSC
nick1048 said:
So based on the undisclosed percentage of students that are boozing up with their student allowance you think we should abolish it all together.

I'm fucking glad you're not in any position that could make this happen -_-'

Arab of some sort rofl wrong again.
i never said it should be abolished...i said it should be put in their parents account (if the student still lives at home, not including older uni/tafe students)...

and you are an arab...this is you aint it?

and no i aint stalking you...i noticed a comment of yours on someone i knows myspace once...

http://www.myspace.com/nick1048

by the way 50 cent sucks nuts

silly_sailor

baddest mofo around
HSC
i never said it should be abolished...i said it should be put in their parents account (if the student still lives at home, not including older uni/tafe students)...

and no i aint stalking you...i noticed a comment of yours on someone i knows myspace once...

lol look at this guy resorting to personal attacks

dude, it is student allowance. the way i see it is it should be given to me, not my parents, the student is their own individual. are u really going to ask your parents everytime u need a bit of your allowance? esp for uni students, we grown now u know.

my mum is a single one with 3 of us still living at home. She works part time as my youngest brother is still in primary and needs to be home before and after school. My brother and I both get YA which pays for my expenses for uni which include travel, textbooks, readers, anything that I need to get. I also work which gives me money to spend on clothes and all of those sort of things (and really I dont buy anything that is too expensive even if i am having a rich week) IF youthink that we are all lazy arses....... I have done 2/3 of my degree and worked all the way through it and especially these holidays where I have worked my arse off on 2 jobs. AND before that when i had to do my UNPAID practical I was working that 35 hours p/week x 6 weeks + both my myer and my other job. for most of those weeks i was doing 55-65 hours a week. So if you think that we are lazy just because we need some extra help to 'survive' you need to take another look. Yes i got YA during that time but if my income gets too high then tehy will reduce it plain and simple and I will be supporting myself a little more. When i start earning 42-47k next year I will be able to pay off some of my HECS that you tax payers (myself included) have contributed to help me get my degree and then you will stop complaining i guess?
real talk there.

i live at home and get allowance, and i have never 'wasted' it. for me, even though i live at home theres a fair bit of cost ie. transport, books, stationery, food (when ur out) etc etc. so i cant afford to waste what im given. i mean i buy little things with it sometimes, but its mostly for the costs i said above, as well as petrol for everyday use. some of u guys are saying its not fair that some people who dont need it get it, but i mean its not fair also that people who need it dont get it (if its abolished).

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
i dont agree with it being given to the parents either. That way of doing it can be seriously abused by the parents.

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
HSC
Crestwood's_G said:

yeah it's me, no im not arab - its alright its one of joey's mates! Sup Crestwood Gangsta - Crestwood Reprazent!

So the parents that are making you pay board should get more money from the government? Seems a bit flawed buddy. I think the system is ok as is. Sure there could be a tightening on checking for exploitation, but then what? You give the money you were giving the kids to the parents and then they give it to the kids?

Flawed flawed flawed.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
I think people should reserve their judgements on the system until they have lived in a house where the income is less than the threshold, in my case almost as little as half that threshold. Then they'll realise that $30,750 is quite a bit of money, and should be enough to support the child in question. If not then the parents should probably review their budgeting, because if my mother can survive on $16k a year then so should anyone, really.

And if parents reuse to pay up then that's not a problem with the system but them. Perhaps a new law where parents are REQUIRED to put money to a child's tertiary education if they're not eligible for the government allowances.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)