student allowance - get rid of it... (1 Viewer)

BlackDragon

HSC
I live in a household under the threshold. And let me just say, thank god someone showed me youth allowance, otherwise I would, as i've said before, have no opportunity to go to uni.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Mike Ockisard said:
yeah but you're living at home so dont deserve it
I wouldn't say that, those living at home get basically half of what those in my position get ($229.10 per fortnight as opposed to $451.30 which includes rent assistance as well as the higher "living away from home" rate). I don't know much about how child support payments work but I assume these payments don't exist from a certain age? (I'll guess 16 since that's the age I've had YA from). Whatever help a low income family can get is a good thing IMO.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
So after four pages, all we've established is that the thread-started thinks Youth Allowance should be stopped because he's not getting any (can you guess what else he's not getting any of?), his main argument being that people get it and spend it on whatever they want, which is clearly something he can't do and deperately wants to. But since he can't, no-one should be allowed to.

And anybody who disagrees with him is clearly Arabic.

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
dont you love that attitude. I can tell he is going to be a great contributor to society with the ' if i cant have it no one can' attitude. i think he needs to walk a while in the shoes of someone who is under the threshold minus every bill + rent and school needs, see how you go and get back to us 'lazy arses'. ta

Crestwood's_G

In Elegance
HSC
nick1048 said:
yeah it's me, no im not arab - its alright its one of joey's mates! Sup Crestwood Gangsta - Crestwood Reprazent!

So the parents that are making you pay board should get more money from the government? Seems a bit flawed buddy. I think the system is ok as is. Sure there could be a tightening on checking for exploitation, but then what? You give the money you were giving the kids to the parents and then they give it to the kids?

Flawed flawed flawed.
assyrian/arab...same shit...its like saying im anglo-saxon but im not white haha...oh and by the way im not gangsta lol...its just that "crestwood student" wouldnt fit so i just put a G because it would lol...

and its funny watching you nerds argue with me lol...and dont claim you arent nerds...with UAIs of over 90 haha...

and dotn claim "its because we are smart" because i dont believe you you need more people...

oh by the way (to the last poster)...you think that because my dad earns 90K a year that we dont pay bills? and i dont pay board...?

"tell em their dreaming"

LASTLY...you say my attitudes "i dont get it you shouldnt get it than"...

but your the ones receiving this money and your attitude is "im getting it and i aint giving it up"

Last edited:

aussiechica7

HSC
do u seriously think youth allowance just goes to leisure?

LOL

ppl r eligible for it for a reason. it pays the rent and food of most college kids i know.

roadcone

HSC
youth allowance tends to be middle to upper class welfare in most cases.. suits me just fine.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Crestwood's_G said:
assyrian/arab...same shit...its like saying im anglo-saxon but im not white haha...oh and by the way im not gangsta lol...its just that "crestwood student" wouldnt fit so i just put a G because it would lol...
Honestly, how do you tell the ethnicity of someone based on a series of zeroes and ones that appear on your screen? Wait, I know: you think they're Arabs because they don't agree with you and you don't like Muslims.
Crestwood's_G said:
and its funny watching you nerds argue with me lol...and dont claim you arent nerds...with UAIs of over 90 haha...
Unfortunately for you, it's the so-called nerds who will be landing the jobs that pay a lot.
Crestwood's_G said:

but your the ones receiving this money and your attitude is "im getting it and i aint giving it up"
That may be true, but we actually need youth allowance. When you're paying $7,500 per year to stay in a college for university, you kind of need it. I worked out last year that when you take away the college payments and essentials like tooth pate, washing powder, etc. from my youth allowance payments, I end up with $27 left over each fortnight.

So yes, I get it. And I'm not giving it up. But unlike your assumption that I'm one of thousands spending it on whatever I want, I'm one of thousands who who use it to as it was intended to be used.

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
Crestwood's_G said:
oh by the way (to the last poster)...you think that because my dad earns 90K a year that we dont pay bills? and i dont pay board...?

"tell em their dreaming"

hmmm lets do the math here.... you have 90k a year - bills compared to say 35k a year - bills. theres a lot less money left over.......

I'm not giving it up because i need it plain and simple. i could probably do it on less but i'm not complaining.

your attitude is more comparable to a four year olds.

AND if you need YA to pay board...... your part time job would cover it with a basic 5-6 hour shift. and i'm sure if you couldnt afford it the 90k your dad earns might allow for a decrease in your board.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I spend a vast amount of my YA on beer, goon and video games, and I'm going to redouble my efforts to continue doing this just to annoy the OP.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
You allowance is based on rent and income and a few other things. I was getting $200/fortinght until last week because my next payment will be when I return to uni and it more than doubles.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
tha shit calleR said:
i dont know how you can survive on just youth allowance

its like 170 a fortnight after tax (living at home)

i spend 70 a fortnight on petrol alone

that leaves 50 a week to go out, pay phone bills, buy things, save for things, etc

i dont see how people do it..
I'm not taxed on YA, I end up spending ~$50-60 a fortnight on public transport, then the rest goes towards eating, textbooks, booze, etc.

maggie bea

HSC
hmmm.. well seeing as we're having a bit of a whinge i might just throw my own in-just a bit of a general 'woe is me' 'life is tough' sticking up 4myself whinge.

I am a lazy arse kid who is on youth allowance. funnilly enough though-im not in the least lazy. i work my ass off and am still struggling. my mother walked out on my family when i was 2 and my poor and disabled dad was left to fend 4 us and was therefore on a disability/single parents pesnion. I dont no what fascist folks out there wud have had him done. ever since my whole family has struggled 2 put food on the table, pay the rent, be there 4 eachutha and still make our way thru school. despite the odds, iv just got in2 art school where i study 9 til 5 monday to friday at a school which is 2 hrs away from my home. i then work all night and weekend in a trashy bodgy paying job to earn not even enough to cover my art supplies and travel expenses. both my sisters have been in the same demographic, yet 1 is now a qualified teacher and the other a chemical engineer.on top of this, i have a mentally disabled brother to care for. no matter how much we sluggd we neva wud have evn got out of our country hick town without a little assistance, and truth of it is, in the end we will b contributing a heap of 'tax dollars' back in2 the system. im not stupid n im not modest-i know i have talent. wud u have that talent b wasted n not paying future tax dollars just because i was born into a 'disadvantaged' social demographic?

so frankly, it sux that u cant get an allowance n ur parents still rnt helping u out evn tho there on a crap load of money. if this is the case, u shud really move out n become independent. but u also really need 2 relise that sum ppl out there hav it tough too and wudnt make it without that extra little pittance from the government. i know that many people use their allowances unwisely and irresponsibly, but try not 2 b so harsh, they r just mislead n maybe didnt have the same love and support growing up. but it is really offensive 2 have somebody say such an extreme thing when they dont appear 2 b aware of what the whole story is. it pisses me off to see young kids in their new jeans whipping out their ipods as they get into their littel cars and whinging about how tough studying is and how poor they r. heres a tip-sell ur ipod. use public transport. use birfday presents 4 school supplies. pak a healthy lunch. run instead of using the gym. live in clothes from op shops. n then whinge about how tough life is 4 u. bottom line-if u cant hack it then do something else.

jealoisy is a curse. but do u think like im not jealous of u?

but neway, that was ur whinge-n here was mine. n very long at that. peaCe

ps im aware that i m beinga total hypocrite by generalising just as the first poster did. but hey-what the heck-its satisfying sumtimes right.

*Minka*

HSC
I don't like to talka bout this much because I sound braggy and snotty, but you are totally get under my skin and making all wealthy people look like frigging brats. I come from a faily wealthy family - my mother is a laywer, my dad makes over 100k a year and him and he was a professional footballer back in the days so we are lucky to have very comfortable savings from that. So I am a very, very lucky girl in that I don't need money.

But I am not sitting here whinging my ass off because I don't get Youth Allowance and saying that it needs to be abolished because I don't get it. I don't get it because I am lucky enough to be in a situation where I don't need it - my parents are well off and I don't have to worry about me. Lucky me. But not everyone is in that situation and University is a finanical stuggle for some - they shouldn't have their assistance taken away from them because wealthy kids like you and me want some more money for vodka and clubbing. That is when you will get a situation where University is only for those with rich parents and that is a much bigger injustice than me and you not getting some money from the government.

It is like saying I deserve to to go University more than other people because my Mum was smart, Dad was good at kicking a football around and making investments and my Grandfather gave me a trust fund. Stupid, unfounded and unfair.

I am a very lucky person and I know that. I at least have the sense and grounding to know that not everyone has wealthy parents and for some people, life is a genuine day to day financal struggle.

So shut the hell up and go earn some money if you want it that badly.

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC
nick1048 said:
Transfer payments such as these comprise huge areas of government spending. From an economic perspective this level satisfies both the low income earners without "wasting" too much revenue. I'm guessing this is the logic, I can only see this figure increasing slightly if at all in the future.
I think it needs to be indexed to the CPI, as Youth Allowance was meant to be paid so that people could live off it...but it's pretty moot if it doesn't go up along with the increase of cost of living.

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC
*Minka* said:
I don't like to talka bout this much because I sound braggy and snotty, but you are totally get under my skin and making all wealthy people look like frigging brats. I come from a faily wealthy family - my mother is a laywer, my dad makes over 100k a year and him and he was a professional footballer back in the days so we are lucky to have very comfortable savings from that. So I am a very, very lucky girl in that I don't need money.

But I am not sitting here whinging my ass off because I don't get Youth Allowance and saying that it needs to be abolished because I don't get it. I don't get it because I am lucky enough to be in a situation where I don't need it - my parents are well off and I don't have to worry about me. Lucky me. But not everyone is in that situation and University is a finanical stuggle for some - they shouldn't have their assistance taken away from them because wealthy kids like you and me want some more money for vodka and clubbing. That is when you will get a situation where University is only for those with rich parents and that is a much bigger injustice than me and you not getting some money from the government.

It is like saying I deserve to to go University more than other people because my Mum was smart, Dad was good at kicking a football around and making investments and my Grandfather gave me a trust fund. Stupid, unfounded and unfair.

I am a very lucky person and I know that. I at least have the sense and grounding to know that not everyone has wealthy parents and for some people, life is a genuine day to day financal struggle.

So shut the hell up and go earn some money if you want it that badly.
Agreed. Karma++ (damn, that button doesn't exist).

To the O.P. - you seemed to have survived pretty well to this point...ask yourself, do you REALLY need the money? I used to be living ok until my dad lost his job and other family matters kicked in - but I'm supporting myself for quite a lot of things. It's called getting a part-time job. That said, I was fortunate to have received a scholarship. As much as I would like the extra money, I don't need it. Thus, I don't bitch about it.

And no, I'm not Arab.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)