Subject Advice! (1 Viewer)

GlowYossy22

HSC
I'm having trouble deciding if it is a good idea to pick History extension in replace for one of my subjects. I'm currently doing:
- Ancient History
- Biology
- Business Studies
- English Standard
- Math Standard 2
- Physics,
I am doing very well in all my subjects except for Physics and Biology, Biology being the worst. My teachers for both subjects are completely useless. They show up to class 30 minutes late every time lol. 😢
My strongest course is probably Ancient History or English, my Ancient History teacher, the one who will be my history extension teacher believes I can definitely get an E4.

I am interested in becoming a electrical engineer or something in business as an investment adviser / investor myself.

My question is, would it be worth dropping biology or physics in replace for history extension to boost my atar. I hate biology but my parents don't think I'll get any jobs without it. I'll have to self teach everything in physics. How hard would that be to accomplish, aiming for a band 6? Any advice would be welcome, thanks.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
I'm having trouble deciding if it is a good idea to pick History extension in replace for one of my subjects. I'm currently doing:
- Ancient History
- Biology
- Business Studies
- English Standard
- Math Standard 2
- Physics,
I am doing very well in all my subjects except for Physics and Biology, Biology being the worst. My teachers for both subjects are completely useless. They show up to class 30 minutes late every time lol. 😢
My strongest course is probably Ancient History or English, my Ancient History teacher, the one who will be my history extension teacher believes I can definitely get an E4.

I am interested in becoming a electrical engineer or something in business as an investment adviser / investor myself.

My question is, would it be worth dropping biology or physics in replace for history extension to boost my atar. I hate biology but my parents don't think I'll get any jobs without it. I'll have to self teach everything in physics. How hard would that be to accomplish, aiming for a band 6? Any advice would be welcome, thanks.
not sure how doing HSC biology will get you jobs, or any HSC course in that matter? I assume you're talking about degrees which leads to jobs. HSC physics is assumed knowledge for engineering courses, so in your case Electrical Engineering + its your worst subject. If i was in your case, I would drop Bio and just focus on how I would improve in Physics. If my parents could afford it, I would go to tuition to counteract my bad teacher (don't worry I have a bad teacher as well its kinda common), or if not, I would just study off online resources and youtube + textbooks (there are certain channels that cover physics content).

Physics is hard to B6 in if you see by the data (10% approx B6) however if you do enjoy physics + you need it for the future (so like an eng. degree) then that should be enough to motivate you to get through the course.

Saint Dev

HSC
not sure how doing HSC biology will get you jobs, or any HSC course in that matter? I assume you're talking about degrees which leads to jobs. HSC physics is assumed knowledge for engineering courses, so in your case Electrical Engineering + its your worst subject. If i was in your case, I would drop Bio and just focus on how I would improve in Physics. If my parents could afford it, I would go to tuition to counteract my bad teacher (don't worry I have a bad teacher as well its kinda common), or if not, I would just study off online resources and youtube + textbooks (there are certain channels that cover physics content).

Physics is hard to B6 in if you see by the data (10% approx B6) however if you do enjoy physics + you need it for the future (so like an eng. degree) then that should be enough to motivate you to get through the course.
Beat me to it lol. Physics as a prerequisite is much more common than biology.

icycledough

HSC
Pretty much, any selection of subjects can get you any degree (unless, of course, there are specific subject pre-requisites), which will in turn, get you a job, given you can maintain sufficient university grades. But there isn't a specific subject or specific university course which will guarantee you a job after graduation, so I wouldn't worry about that.

GlowYossy22

HSC

Thanks! My parents believe biology will help me get into nursing and medicine etc. I live in the western area of Sydney. Would you know of any good tutors for Physics around that area? :)

icycledough

HSC
Pretty sure you can get into nursing and med without study bio. I dont think bio is a prereq for any courses for most unis
Definitely isn't a pre-requisite for nursing, med, dentistry or any other health allied course. It can help a bit, but to be honest, university is a clean slate for everyone, so you are on the same page.

Leadmen4y

HSC
tell them to find a course that says bio as prereq. Note assumed knowledge is different. Also I do history ext so if you have any questions let me know
la trobe dent has bio prereq and chem prereq but not ucat

zizi2003_

HSC
- Ancient History
- Biology
- Business Studies
- English Standard
- Math Standard 2
- Physics,

as much as i love bio...tbh ext history is way more rewarding + it's way less content heavy so yeah for sure

zizi2003_

HSC
I might be wrong but bio scales higher I think?? according to uac report
rlly? yeah could be, it's a science after all
my point was that it's wayyy less content heavy whilst bio is just so much lmaooa

Leadmen4y

HSC
rlly? yeah could be, it's a science after all
my point was that it's wayyy less content heavy whilst bio is just so much lmaooa
agree, ppl meme about how its not a science compared to chem/phys but I think the content is comparable if not more

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)