Subject Advice! (1 Viewer)

5uckerberg

HSC
not sure how doing HSC biology will get you jobs, or any HSC course in that matter? I assume you're talking about degrees which leads to jobs. HSC physics is assumed knowledge for engineering courses, so in your case Electrical Engineering + its your worst subject. If i was in your case, I would drop Bio and just focus on how I would improve in Physics. If my parents could afford it, I would go to tuition to counteract my bad teacher (don't worry I have a bad teacher as well its kinda common), or if not, I would just study off online resources and youtube + textbooks (there are certain channels that cover physics content).

Physics is hard to B6 in if you see by the data (10% approx B6) however if you do enjoy physics + you need it for the future (so like an eng. degree) then that should be enough to motivate you to get through the course.
For some reason, there is a theme it is too easy to be a horrible STEM teacher because to be a very effective STEM teacher one would need to master their craft very deeply and be able to understand student difficulty and also be able to understand the content as mentioned one of the principles in the AITSL standards albeit for teachers is for them to know the content and to teach it well with regards to teaching strategies. If one cannot do that they do not deserve to be your teacher.

specificagent1

HSC
For some reason, there is a theme it is too easy to be a horrible STEM teacher because to be a very effective STEM teacher one would need to master their craft very deeply and be able to understand student difficulty and also be able to understand the content as mentioned one of the principles in the AITSL standards albeit for teachers is for them to know the content and to teach it well with regards to teaching strategies. If one cannot do that they do not deserve to be your teacher.
so many shit stem teachers smh. Half of them dont even know the content like wtf?

GlowYossy22

HSC
My physics teacher has a doctorate lol, I relate to this so much. I know for sure she doesn't understand the difficulty of the content she it teaching. Half the time she says we don't need to worry about knowing certain areas of the syllabus because they won't come up in the exam. Our class is very small, around six people and we all agree that we have no clue what we're doing.

5uckerberg

HSC
My physics teacher has a doctorate lol, I relate to this so much. I know for sure she doesn't understand the difficulty of the content she it teaching. Half the time she says we don't need to worry about knowing certain areas of the syllabus because they won't come up in the exam. Our class is very small, around six people and we all agree that we have no clue what we're doing.
Okay, how in the world does she know this will not be in the exam or that will not be in the exam, has she even looked at the past papers for other schools or the HSC. For someone to make such a blasphemous claim in front of students I deem it to be ridiculous, still, get your teacher for help because you already have a big gap in terms of forming a rapport do not try to escalate that.

specificagent1

HSC
Okay, how in the world does she know this will not be in the exam or that will not be in the exam, has she even looked at the past papers for other schools or the HSC. For someone to make such a blasphemous claim in front of students I deem it to be ridiculous, still, get your teacher for help because you already have a big gap in terms of forming a rapport do not try to escalate that.
yo like how no one thought the adv maths exam would have this much stats and probability

icycledough

HSC
They could have said that if they are an experienced teacher and have been teaching the HSC course for many years. That said though, with the new syllabus change for 2019 HSC students I believe, it still is much better to be over-prepared for every topic than under-prepared. The last thing you want is an extended response (6+ marks) on a topic/concept you didn't revise because your teacher told you 'it won't come up in the exam'. I didn't do physics so don't know about the specific modules, but OP will know which topics they have to revise.

Leadmen4y

HSC
ig its becoz some teachers that teach for years and years become too comfortable with the content that they can't see them through the eyes of students encountering them the first time. i remember getting really lost in adaptive immunity for bio and when I asked for help my bio teacher just weaved it off saying he 'can't understand what's difficult about it'

specificagent1

HSC
ig its becoz some teachers that teach for years and years become too comfortable with the content that they can't see them through the eyes of students encountering them the first time. i remember getting really lost in adaptive immunity for bio and when I asked for help my bio teacher just weaved it off saying he 'can't understand what's difficult about it'
condescending af. I cant take people that speak like that

5uckerberg

HSC
To be fair I believe that after 20 years of the same thing I am not surprised that NESA wanted to mix things up but if I were to look at this from a student's perspective it comes as a big shock.
I remembered that Eddie Woo said it's a danger for teachers who have taught for too long to develop such an attitude, and that it is for the benefit of the teacher if they are able to see where the student is struggling and find new ways to teach? Well, this is something very easy to say but exceptionally difficult to do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)