Subject selection help (1 Viewer)

d3st1nyLiang

Premium Member
HSC
Hey, i'm in year 10 and having trouble choosing subjects. I'm planning to do 13units with ext 1 maths, end adv, chem, latin, phys or modern history and eco which i am accelerating
I'm not sure whether to choose eng adv. or ext eng; is it worth it to do ext eng when i'm most likely not going to choose it in yr 12

also i'm not sure whether to take physics or modern history, since i like them both and do well in both history and science; however i could just take ext eng and forget about choosing one of these subjects

any personal opinions on these subjects , any help is appreciated

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
Do da asean combo:
-4U Math
-Adv. Eng
-Chem
-Phys

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Lol, I'm going to be doing the Asian combo next year ^_^ except the damn catholic school i attend forces me to choose religion I (but it's okay, I like it). I chose the subjects based on what I liked... i.e. I am strongest at and love maths and then I love my sciences + standard english scaling sucks so I chose Adv (which I'm topping w00t).

The Asian combo is fun!

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
Hey, i'm in year 10 and having trouble choosing subjects. I'm planning to do 13units with ext 1 maths, end adv, chem, latin, phys or modern history and eco which i am accelerating
I'm not sure whether to choose eng adv. or ext eng; is it worth it to do ext eng when i'm most likely not going to choose it in yr 12

also i'm not sure whether to take physics or modern history, since i like them both and do well in both history and science; however i could just take ext eng and forget about choosing one of these subjects

any personal opinions on these subjects , any help is appreciated
Awesome your accelerating. I wish i could accelerate. No one in my school accelerates.

d3st1nyLiang

Premium Member
HSC
thanks, i'm considering the asian combo, however i would need to choose physics and i'm fairly certain with latin

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
thanks, i'm considering the asian combo, however i would need to choose physics and i'm fairly certain with latin
Languages scale very well. You could easily achieve a high ATAR with that combination without the Physics.

Gypo09

HSC
i loved history as well... until i did modern in yr 11 and 12.... its more about the political aspect and less about the actual events.... but thats just my opinion.

d3st1nyLiang

Premium Member
HSC
another factor in the battle between mod history and physics is that our school generally does well in the histories

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
Languages scale very well. You could easily achieve a high ATAR with that combination without the Physics.
Do all languages scale well? I do German and German extension... not sure how they scale. I get 90s in them, so I just assumed that wouldn't scale down.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Do all languages scale well? I do German and German extension... not sure how they scale. I get 90s in them, so I just assumed that wouldn't scale down.
German Continuers is pretty average-ish (above just a bit) scaling. The German Extension (as with all language extensions) scales really, really well. Not quite good as MX2 as other comparative years...

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
German Continuers is pretty average-ish (above just a bit) scaling. The German Extension (as with all language extensions) scales really, really well. Not quite good as MX2 as other comparative years...
Although remember Extension subjects are only worth 1 Unit except for ME2.

aya-chan

HSC
hahhaa. I was reading your post, and I knew ... you were definitely a baulko kid. the 13u dilema, the accelerated eco... I knew it all along.

AANYWAY. I'd say, make sure you take a good look at the syllabuses. Also, do advanced english. I don't like extension. :( and our english department isn't that good anyway.

If you're a typical baulko student, you're considering 4u maths yeah? Keep that in mind, coz you're going to have to drop SOMETHING.

The subjects I'm doing now are in my sig ... and for next year I'm thinking of doing 4u maths, ext german and dropping chem and business. So yeah. =)

d3st1nyLiang

Premium Member
HSC
woah thanks, i'm most likely going to pick up ext 2 maths and ext latin, so i'll need to drop a subject in yr 12

sunshinegirl

HSC
We had a 5 hour subject selections talk this morning and all i can say is that scaling is a myth!! apparently they changed the scaling procedure in about 2003 or 2004 and so it doesn't work like that anymore.

do what you love and what your good at and what you want to do, not what supposedly scales well. if you love latin, fantastic, do latin! same for every subject out there. if you do what you love, chances are you'll be good at it, which means you'll get good marks, so you'll love it more, so you'll do more work, so youll be even better at it and the cycle continues.

JUST DO WHAT YOU LOVE!!! that's all i can tell you :)

d3st1nyLiang

Premium Member
HSC
how can scaling be a myth? thanks, but i'm not sure if i love physics or modern history more

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
We had a 5 hour subject selections talk this morning and all i can say is that scaling is a myth!! apparently they changed the scaling procedure in about 2003 or 2004 and so it doesn't work like that anymore.

do what you love and what your good at and what you want to do, not what supposedly scales well. if you love latin, fantastic, do latin! same for every subject out there. if you do what you love, chances are you'll be good at it, which means you'll get good marks, so you'll love it more, so you'll do more work, so youll be even better at it and the cycle continues.

JUST DO WHAT YOU LOVE!!! that's all i can tell you :)
What would be worth more then? 90/100 in General Maths or 90/100 in Extension 2 Maths?

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Lol... of course scaling is a myth!

That's how students in MX2 can get a higher scaled mark with a raw of 78 rather than students that get a 90 in Visual Arts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)