• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Subjects- 'What not to pick...' (1 Viewer)

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
speed2 said:
i know its probably been said before but DO NOT PICK IPT it is the most boring course ever!!! at first it seems alright when ur doin projects and all but when u have to study for the tests it is SOOOOO damn boring!!!
Well, I have a really good teacher for IPT, and i find its quite alright, and bloody easy as well!,and most things r boring when u have to study for them. But it depends on the person atleast. Im continuing it for the HSC as well. :)

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Im reading alot of posts advising not to do ipt.
:) I didn't choose IPT. Thank God. (I guess) When i chose subjects, i was very interested in ipt, i read syllabuses, talked to teachers and students and friends about it, looked at job guides etc etc. Don't know why i didnt choose it but i have no regrets over my subject choices.

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
HamuTarou said:
for 1 unit subs, never choose fundamentals of eng. choose sport lifestyle and recreation (SLR). its sooo much better and enjoyable.
Yeps!!!! I did SLR this yr, it was fun, like a PE lesson..lol, butwe just played what we wanted every lesson..and had like 2 theory classes each term.. and we even got to choose when we do an assessment for it!! haha

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
HamuTarou said:
for 1 unit subs, never choose fundamentals of eng. choose sport lifestyle and recreation (SLR). its sooo much better and enjoyable.
For 1 units, if you're not choosing any extensions, should choose studies of religion, its a cross between society and culture and modern history.

Scanorama

HSC
NEVER choose subjects base on the scalings. 'High scalling' subjects do not necessary guarantee a high mark/UAI. If you score well in a 'low scalling' subject, you will get a good mark and hence good UAI. Likewise if you score badly in a 'high scalling' subject, you will get a bad mark and hence bad UAI.

You can get a high UAI even with General Maths, standard English, provided you enjoy the subjects and score well in the assessments/exam.

drewgcn

postpantsism
HSC
Do not listen to anyone telling you not to pick IPT.

Best. Subject. Ever.

Seriously, even though I've finished it I secretly wander back into the IPT sub-forum just to be reminded of its un-terminable ultimacy.

Last edited:

Scanorama

HSC
IPT may sounds boring to some people, but if the teacher knows how to teach it, it can be interesting. Plus, it is very easy to score marks in the exam.

HSC
Gough Whitlam said:
You can get a high UAI even with General Maths, standard English, provided you enjoy the subjects and score well in the assessments/exam.
very true, i entered my marks into SAM and got like 86, then i changed my general maths into mathematics, mind you 82 is a decent mark if it was mathematics and my uai went up by 1, is it really worth figuring out calculus for that? you need to know your ability, if you can't do it, dont fret, go destroy general maths and it'll go further than a low band 5 mathematics

[Damo]

HSC
Gough Whitlam said:
NEVER choose subjects base on the scalings. 'High scalling' subjects do not necessary guarantee a high mark/UAI. If you score well in a 'low scalling' subject, you will get a good mark and hence good UAI. Likewise if you score badly in a 'high scalling' subject, you will get a bad mark and hence bad UAI.

i agree, however, how can you compare some1 who does hospitality, vis.arts, D and T, construction, with some1 that does 4U maths, 4 Ueng. chem and phys.?

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
kadlil said:
but its not a very good scaler i dont think :p
But i think its so easy to get over 90 in IPT,im hoping to get 95+ in it.. :)

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
[Damo] said:
HOw does study of religions get scaled??
What do you mean?
SOR can either be a 1unit or 2unit course. (most, especially at Catholic schools, choose 1 unit)

P

pLuvia

is there any difference between 2unit or 1unit SOR?? or is that more counts?

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
kadlil said:
is there any difference between 2unit or 1unit SOR?? or is that more counts?
2 unit SOR- you learn 6 hsc topics
1 unit SOR- you learn 3 hsc topics

You learn about religious practices, history, history of religion in australia...

denise_

So fetch!
HSC
well sorry i might sound bias- don't choose
*physics
*Chem

its boring and dull and super hard!

eco is not too bad- its just all this theory you have to remember

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)