Suicide from HSC... (1 Viewer)

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
well getting extra UAI for just being a friend of some one who suicided sounds stupid. coz that way we can just "peer pressure" a friend to die.

aaaman

Banned
HSC
AntiHyper said:
well getting extra UAI for just being a friend of some one who suicided sounds stupid. coz that way we can just "peer pressure" a friend to die.
that wasnt cool at all :(

X

xeuyrawp

SashatheMan said:
i heard one guy couldnt handle the HSC, so he said to him self, dont be a little bitch and think that yyour having so much pressure and cant handle life, then he slapped some sence into him self, put some effort in and got above average UAI. wow what a legend. (he is a legend)
Story of your life?

kat_mandu

What the?
HSC
aaaman said:
does any1 have any myths/stories about that bad type of shit from da pressure of da hsc bcoz i wanna kno if sum rumors r true like 1 where if a person commits suicide, the whole grade get 5 extra UAI points :confused:

I think the five point thing is refering to the acess scheme thing. I cant remember the name. But its the huge form that you can fill out if you feel you have been disadvantaged leading up to or during the HSC. The reasons for applying range from things like going to a rural school, deaths to close relatives to cramped living conditions. You have to have alot of supporting evidence and even then they can knock back your application. You can obtain UPTO five UAI points, but they are not actually added to your UAI, it just means that universities may accept you if you just fall short of the course cut off.

So yeh some people might have applyed for having added stress and disruption but it doesn't mean they get given extra points.If they did get some consideration then it would be due cause

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
For those of you saying "Uni is ten times harder, blah blah blah" you're really not helping those doing their HSC. Really. Basically you're saying "if you can't handle this then you might as well give up now, you're not going to last in university." Well done. The HSC students are doing their HSC, they're not at uni yet. You all did your HSC and I'm sure some of you had an anxiety attack. Others might have had one later, or if they're lucky, none at all.

And for those who are overly critical. Congratulations. You have a nice ability to cope with a stressful situation. You're also pretty naive if you think everyone else can cope because you can. Welcome to the real world. People are different. People who commit suicide aren't you. Stop analysing the situation as they were like you. Start empathising, else you'll be cold and heartless.

sweetXinsanity

Drama Queen On The Run...
HSC
I can understand why people doing their HSC would feel depressed and stressed out to the max.
Think about it!
You wanna get a good mark etc becoz if you don't you could feel like if u dont get a good enuf school mark, you wont get a good UAI which means you wont get into Uni whichc means you wont have the confidence or will power to go for new step or open foundation etc, which means you'll be a doll bludger and your life will amount to nothing and youll spend the rest of your days in a caravan with 12 cats and eat boiled cabbage every night till death!
worst case scenario ofcourse lol

but it's essential that ya have a good support base at home and with your friends. People telling you your dumb or that ur probably gonna fail is not the way to spend your last year!

nwatts

HSC
About this '5 Points extra' myth, i'm certain it's not true. However...

A bloke two years above me killed himself around this time (just before half-yearly holidays) during the HSC, terrible tragedy. I do remember one of our teachers commenting on the situation, and how this event would be taken into consideration when scaling their marks. I'm not sure whether or not this was an internal or external thing, although I probably could find out.

On suicide in general...

People don't kill themselves purely because of the HSC. Usually the HSC is a considerable factor, that may add to or cause their depression. But 'the pressure' isn't what kills people. It's more broken relationships or clinical depression, that increase stress and anxiety during these times of pressure.

Ask anyone doing psych.

aaaman

Banned
HSC
nwatts said:
About this '5 Points extra' myth, i'm certain it's not true. However...

A bloke two years above me killed himself around this time (just before half-yearly holidays) during the HSC, terrible tragedy. I do remember one of our teachers commenting on the situation, and how this event would be taken into consideration when scaling their marks. I'm not sure whether or not this was an internal or external thing, although I probably could find out.

On suicide in general...

People don't kill themselves purely because of the HSC. Usually the HSC is a considerable factor, that may add to or cause their depression. But 'the pressure' isn't what kills people. It's more broken relationships or clinical depression, that increase stress and anxiety during these times of pressure.

Ask anyone doing psych.
no its not, its from the pressure, why is there a big hype about depression durin the HSC. i dont hear a yr 10 drop out killing themselves these days

nwatts

HSC
aaaman said:
no its not, its from the pressure, why is there a big hype about depression durin the HSC. i dont hear a yr 10 drop out killing themselves these days
I'm just telling it like it is. The HSC is a big thing, and can cause serious depression. But no one kills themself purely because of the HSC - it's but one factor.

aaaman

Banned
HSC
nwatts said:
I'm just telling it like it is. The HSC is a big thing, and can cause serious depression. But no one kills themself purely because of the HSC - it's but one factor.
the question is how would you kno, say someone misses a course that they want all their life like a vet...u kno bad shit may happen

nwatts

HSC
aaaman said:
the question is how would you kno, say someone misses a course that they want all their life like a vet...u kno bad shit may happen
Stop being a pain in the ass. If you want 'proof', talk to anyone you know who's a psychologist or doing psychology at Uni.

X

xeuyrawp

aaaman said:
I would disagree with you. Although for many people, the HSC is central to suicide, to many people, I think it's just an added pressure. In my case it was more to do with people, rather than the HSC, although the HSC probably added pressure to the whole situation.

Samie_Loo

quacktacular
HSC
suicide is a build up... thats definate... plus most ppl who commit suicide feel alone or too lost to go on... usually the hsc results cause more confusion and depression than the active movements durin the hsc year...
i believe it is a build up... hsc and various contributin factors influence the decision... though if there is enough pressure... one is capable of anythin... it also depends on the method... if death is carefully calculated the person has obviously mediated on the ideas towards killing themself... there is no clear cut way to help... all we can do during the hsc year is support everyone else around us... there's not much else we can do...

PoP 'n' Fresh

Poke me! I giggle!
HSC
katie_tully said:
I was being facetious. I don't care what I get, or where I go. Infact, I'm thinking CSU in Bathurst...And I only need a UAI of like, 4 to get in. :uhhuh: :uhhuh:
Haha. my idea damn you! =p

X

xeuyrawp

Samie_Loo said:
suicide is a build up... thats definate... plus most ppl who commit suicide feel alone or too lost to go on... usually the hsc results cause more confusion and depression than the active movements durin the hsc year....
Yeah, that's right.

Another observation of mine is that a lot of suiciders have issues with sexuality; not the majority, of course, but 4/6 people that I know of who either killed themselves or genuinely tried had issues with it. It's probably a coincidence because I went to an uptight Bible-bashing elitist school, which demanded perfect academic results coupled with total straightness.

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
pwar: sounds like kings

i have to agree by freud that maths is for the sexually repressed. someone here on the forums had a quote by him

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)