the great gatsby (1 Viewer)

joe mama

HSC
"The Great Gatsby is a story of filthy-rich, 'careless' and wholly dislikeable characters - all except for Gatsby."
Has this been your experience of the novel? What features of the novel have helped you develop this view?

has anyone studied the great gatsby before for English? if so, any initial thoughts/perspectives/responses to this qn? it would be greatly appreciated :D
i am trying to dux english, i'm feeling the pressure haha 😭 i would just like to consider more perspectives before i start writing my essay to ensure maximum performance

js_brook

HSC
I’m probably responding too late to help with your essay but tbh the novel seems like something you would read these days. I imagine if you wrote tgg on wattpad/webtoon or smt it probably would get a lot of reads (granted you rewrite it to suit the 21st century vocab). The plot is interesting. Nick is naive, it takes Gatsby to get shot and die and a whole lot of stuff to happen that changes his perception of the world. Daisy is selfish but aren’t we all? I don‘t mind Daisy ngl i pity her and Gatsby. The only character I dislike is Tom. Tom has everything he needs; already achieved the American dream simply by being born into the right family, his actions really do make him so unlikeable. The novel is pretty good but studying it in school honestly ruins it. Studying anything in english ruins whatever book/play/movie your doing. Maybe if I didnt have to do an essay about tgg I would’ve liked it more. - sorry abt rambling

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)