The Individual and Society (1 Viewer)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
My browning notes are up on the main page... don't have nay typed notes on the others sorry

jaffa

If you want some related materials that are more 'contemporary' you could consider
- any of the harry potter books/movies
- bridget jones diary
- x-files
- joe dirt
or anything else where someone is facing the struggle of trying to fit into society, instead of making society adjust to them

s2ophie

HSC
Jaffa I would strongly recommmend you didn't pick 'more contempory texts.' If you refer to the Marking notes from 2002 (www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au) They specifically say that markers were alarmed that many people chose texts such as Anna's Story where the Individual in struggling in Society. In the paradigm for texts and ways of thinking it says that students study texts from A PARTICULAR HISTORICAL PERIOD ie for I&S that is the C19th. From your list Bridget Jones is the only feasible one. Sorry to totally disagree with you but its better to know now than six months down the track!

Llyrai

My Beast?? 48/50 !!!
HSC
Hi!
Just wanted to say hello!

*wispers...feet shuffling...

What? Nooooo....im not..er.. doing Speculative fiction....Im a good I&S student.... like you guys!

Speculative Fiction spy? Ha..ha...ha...dont make me laugh.

*RunS!

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I actually think there were some that I found on the main page when I was doing the HSC.... Have a look there, I'm sure there were some good ones.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
im a 04'er but i think u should refer to AT LEAST two. at elast thats what im doing. one seems like too little and not enough support for the argument

TheProsecutor

Hi peoples! :D

I am new here on the forum, but am popping in to say hi! :D

We are also doing Individual in Society in Ext 1. 2004 doing Doll's House, Browning & P.P

Not sure whether this has been posted, but a study guide can finally be purchased for Doll's House.

Have you got any advice to any particular part of the course to study because of its difficulty???

clerisy

HSC
Hi TheProsecutor!!!

I just want to ask-- is there ANYBODY out there doing the Portrait of a Lady??? Everyone seems to be doing the Dolls House/Browning/P&P combination!

And if there is anybody there, what's your take on 'the individual and society' after Isabel gets married. Because all of a sudden she completely abandons all her lofty ideals of adventure and independence and liberty and succumbs to convention in remaining in a marriage where she's miserable!

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
Originally posted by TheProsecutor
Not sure whether this has been posted, but a study guide can finally be purchased for Doll's House.
Yes, I have Barron's Book Notes for A Doll's House, but it isn't spectacular. The notes I've gotten off the net have been much more effective.

TheProsecutor

Originally posted by grk_styl
Yes, I have Barron's Book Notes for A Doll's House, but it isn't spectacular. The notes I've gotten off the net have been much more effective.
This is not the one I have ordered.

I have ordered Spark's Notes A Doll's House. Ordered it from Dymocks Online.

TheProsecutor

It doesnt look like it has all of what is in the study guide.... it is a considerable amount of, but not all.

clerisy

HSC
So grk_styl, would you recommend buyingthe Barron's study guide for a Doll's House, or just stick to the info on the net (which is quite substantial, anyway)????

Just reiterating what Ive posted before-- so NO ONE is doing Portrait of a Lady??? I'm alone in the world??? Please, someone, answer my call!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)