The Individual and Society (1 Viewer)

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
Just wanna say thanks to everyone for posting their 'other' text they have to find. My teacher was supposed to send us a list over the holidays, but I guess she's found something better to do. Hmph!

I'm still unsure of what I want to do, but just a quick question...Do you have to choose two other texts?

s2ophie

HSC
Its advisable to have at least two texts. I had two and got by fine because they were both quite adaptablet exts (An Ideal Husband and Tess of the d'Urbervilles) Generally in the exam the ask for other texts of your own choosing so the plural implies more than 1.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. I am bored with nothing to do and will gladly think of mr darcy on your behalf!

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Yeah my two other texts were Vanity Fair and Bridget Jones' Diary (the novel... it's a contemporary appropriation of P&P)

clerisy

HSC
Is it as important to do different media for related texts in English Ext than it is in Advanced? Hope not...

s2ophie

HSC
um not really... i had a play and a novel and with the poetry, miniseries and play that i studies i covered pretty much every genre. My only advice would be that if you don't do north and south or portrait of a lady, make sure you do a C19th novel.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
I have a response to do to a quote we were given:

"Many critics have pointed out that such an immature, ignorant creature could never have attained the understanding and revolutionary qualities that Nora has at the time she leaves her home."

What do you guys think?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I actually wrote out some thoughts on this and then my computer screwed up... I'll try again....

I think what you have to think about is if Nora is actually as silly as she seems. After all, she does have the cunning to take out the bank loan behind Torvald's back, and she does understand that she needs to play the helpless role in order to make Torvald feel as if he is dominant...

After studying the play, I started to feel that perhaps Torvald was the one who was really immaute and silly. He couldn't see past the facade that Nora put on for him, and was adament about complying fully to society's expectations. Nora however had subverted societal conventions when she took out the bank loan secretely... which was essentually quite a revolutionary thing for a woman to do to start with. So she was somewhat "revolutionary" from the outset of the play.

I also don't think Nora was as ignorant as she seemed either. I remember one part of the play when she was telling Kristine about the loan... she said something along the lines of that maybe she would tell Torvald one day when she was aging and was not as pretty. This to me illustrated Nora's understanding that her relationship with Torvald was based on factors such as her prettiness ("doll wife"), and this understanding was shown in an earlier part of the play.

So I think you really need to decide if Nora is immature and ignorant at the start of the play, or if she is smarter than she seems.

s2ophie

HSC
I agree with ash. Nora does not obtain revolutionary qualities, they are somehting which has always been part of her. However, nora follows the propriety of her society where she is unable to express these qualities as she must submit to the wills of her husband.

I would say more but ash has covered most of what i would say. When i first read your question i thought it was quite tricky but it would be a good idea if you had a read of some critics on the net. Find ones that you agree with and use some of their points to develop your own.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
Thanks guys...I wrote a response which discussed how she had obtained these revolutionary qualities over time. I also do not think she is immature nor ignorant - quite the opposite really. So I discussed how over time, in reference to the loan, and especially when she decides to become her own individual, that she has actually possessed revolutionary qualities the whole time, but has put on a facade to please her father, and her husband.

Does that sound ok?

s2ophie

HSC
Originally posted by grk_styl
but has put on a facade to please her father, and her husband.
and to please society.

Sounds alright to me!

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
Thank you!

The problem with me is that I write something, I think it sux , and then stress all over it. But then I get to told, or find out someway that what I have written is right!

It's quite an interesting quote. I wonder if anyone will agree with it.

s2ophie

HSC
yeah it is an interseting quote. certainly challenging. If you ever are unsure about something you have written, feel free to PM me or post it here and i will have a look at it. I'm not a 50/50 student but I'm happy to read through it

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
Ok, thank you so much! Makes me feel heaps better. Majority of my friends (outside school) who have finished their hsc didn't do 3 or 4 unit english, so I'm kind of stuck figuring out the subject for myself. lol

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
Originally posted by chemical_cow
Love the treads ppls, well I kinda want to ask if people have made up their minds on their related texts...

Any good recommendations??
My teacher is supposed to be sending my class out a list these holidays, but I guess she has a life, as opposed to myself, who doesn't! :p

I'm seirously thinking of doing Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy. Yet, I don't know what to do for my second text, coz I don't want to have to read two massively long novels!

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Some texts people in my class did, or other texts that you could do that I have read or heard of others doing

Vanity Fair (either the novel or the mini series)
Bridget Jones' Diary (I did the novel of this.... it's a modern appropriation of P&P)
The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde
An Ideal Husband by Oscar Wilde
Elizabeth Barret Browning's poetry
The Princess (uber long poem) by Alfred Lord Tennyson
Tess of the Durbervilles
Wuthering Heights
Frankenstein
If you aren't studying A Doll's House, some of Ibsens other plays such as Hedda Gabler, Brand etc could definately be good for I&S

That's all I can think of right now, if I think of more I will post them up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)