• Liberal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I don't see how Labour even remotely supports a "free society".
And are non-libertarians just voting for who they would vote for or something?
Part of it is to do with the fact that some libertarians value economic freedoms over civil/social freedoms while others the reverse.

I guess if it comes down to that it should be between something like the Greens and the LDP or the Democrats and the LDP, since neither the Liberals or Labour really qualify, so the poll is a load of shit.

Also, you'll note batshit social conservative Christians like Obscene and Name Taken are voting Liberals when they don't really fit any sort of definition of Libertarian.

Last edited:

Lentern

HSC
I don't see how Labour even remotely supports a "free society".
And are non-libertarians just voting for who they would vote for or something?
Seriously did you sleep through the Mohammed Haneef fiasco?

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Part of it is to do with the fact that some libertarians value economic freedoms over civil/social freedoms while others the reverse.
yeah, but whilst liberals have some remote interest in economic freedom, i don't see how labour have any interest in civil liberties

I guess if it comes down to that it should be between something like the Greens and the LDP or the Democrats and the LDP, since neither the Liberals or Labour really qualify, so the poll is a load of shit.

Nah it's not, because the thread is saying that given the two party system, which of the two parties is better to vote for for libertarians.

And LDP blows all other parties away in terms of liberty.

are voting Liberals when they don't really fit any sort of definition of Libertarian.

OF course not. This thread isn't "which freedom loving party should we vote for", it's "Both parties are shit, if you value freedom which is the least shit".

Last edited:

Lentern

HSC
yeah, but whilst liberals have some remote interest in economic freedom, i don't see how labour have any interest in civil liberties

Nah it's not, because the thread is saying that given the two party system, which of the two parties is better to vote for for libertarians.

OF course not. This thread isn't "which freedom loving party should we vote for", it's "Both parties are shit, if you value freedom which is the least shit".
Should an anarchist such as yourself vote for any freedom loving party thereby participating in parliamentary democracy?

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
when did I say I was anarchist

I'm sympathetic to AC ideas but I'd call myself a minarchist

for the time being at least

Lentern

HSC
when did I say I was anarchist

I'm sympathetic to AC ideas but I'd call myself a minarchist

for the time being at least
You didn't need to I just looked at how ungodly the things you say are and worked backwards.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
m8 seriously wats with you and your whole being the way you are

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC

Go have a read of this: Opposition grows to internet filter

Let's just hope your Liberals care as much about freedom as you claim, because under Abbott they're making all the wrong sounds.

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC
Go have a read of this: Opposition grows to internet filter

Let's just hope your Liberals care as much about freedom as you claim, because under Abbott they're making all the wrong sounds.
Mate he never said the Liberals cared about civil liberties. He was admitting that neither party gives a fuck about civil liberties, but at least the libs have some interest in economic freedom.

I would agree. On balance, I would say the liberals are very slightly better.

Lentern

HSC
Mate he never said the Liberals cared about civil liberties. He was admitting that neither party gives a fuck about civil liberties, but at least the libs have some interest in economic freedom.

I would agree. On balance, I would say the liberals are very slightly better.
Do all libertarians hibernate during July or something? The previous government detained a man for a sustained period without charge because he was related to a terrorist, after the judge threw out the one charge they could produce they passed an administrative act to keep him detained him. They later deported the man.

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A
Do all libertarians hibernate during July or something? The previous government detained a man for a sustained period without charge because he was related to a terrorist, after the judge threw out the one charge they could produce they passed an administrative act to keep him detained him. They later deported the man.
well unfortunately Muslim terrorists trump civil liberties in any country

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC
It was absolutely disgusting. All throughout the Howard government's time in office I was critical of almost everything they did.

Especially their anti-terror laws and sedition laws. Unfortunately Labor was almost silent on the Haneef case, and has actually supported the Howard government's draconian anti terror laws. It has made no effort to repeal any of these laws, or to right any of the wrongs of the previous government.

This leads me back to my main point as a libertarian, both sides of politics are cunts and the political system itself is fundamentally flawed.

I do think people are more angry over the Labor government's current attempts to censor the internet though because it will affect their daily lives, and waste billions of dollars.

Lentern

HSC
It was absolutely disgusting. All throughout the Howard government's time in office I was critical of almost everything they did.

Especially their anti-terror laws and sedition laws. Unfortunately Labor was almost silent on the Haneef case, and has actually supported the Howard government's draconian anti terror laws. It has made no effort to repeal any of these laws, or to right any of the wrongs of the previous government.

This leads me back to my main point as a libertarian, both sides of politics are cunts and the political system itself is fundamentally flawed.

I do think people are more angry over the Labor government's current attempts to censor the internet though because it will affect their daily lives, and waste billions of dollars.
You're not wrong about the labor opposition, ever since 2001 they've been terrified of taking a stance on anything regarding national security. But I don't believe a Keating or a Beazley government would have introduced those kind of laws.

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC
You're not wrong about the labor opposition, ever since 2001 they've been terrified of taking a stance on anything regarding national security. But I don't believe a Keating or a Beazley government would have introduced those kind of laws.
A pre-2000 liberal government probably wouldn't have either.

The point is both parties have succumb to post 9/11 national security hysteria.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

What makes the system fundamentally flawed?

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC

Exactly. This thread is an exercise in choosing the lesser of two evils.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)