The Official 2007 AFL Thread (1 Viewer)

is2SWaNz

HSC
wuddie said:
so would it help you to 'swallow the disgraceful umpiring' if the umpires apologise on monday morning? it won't change that fact that swans lost the game and didn't get the 4 comp points, also doesn't change the fact that bombers got the cup (whatever the hell they were playing for).

you said there are many examples of bad umpiring, i assume you mean its a regular occurrence. well then, it should not be a surprise to you then. you can't say the swans have never played a game where bad decisions had gone in swans' favor. why the swans fans booed the other team, but not the umpires, it is shameful and you can't defend that.

the reason i brought this up is because i am a league fan, and when refs get it wrong, the fans boo the umpires, throw cans at them or whatever, but the other team still gets the credit for winning. we DON"T boo the other team, it is only in the spirit of the game. but maybe afl lacks that and i am not surprised.
This will be the last I'm going to be talking about this Bombers match.

I know Swans lost, and I know we won't get the four competition points but it won't change the fact that umpires were disgraceful.

I did not say there were examples of bad umpiring. I said there were examples of umpiring which can influence the game, and hence the results. Of course there are bad umpiring in every single game.

But what surprises me is how you have to jump to conclusions and say that the AFL lacks the spirit of the game. That is absolutely garbage. The AFL is nowhere near 'spiritless'. AFL is a game full of passion, emotions and spirits and I guess I'm correct, as I assume you have only watched a few or even only one AFL match. The booing maybe a bit appualing and all, but that is friggen passion. Booing and making noise can be the only way to voice our opinions relating to the game and I don't see anything wrong in that.

This is the first time I've heard Swans supporters react like this, and you just jump to conclusion about the AFL lacking in the spirit of the game.

End of discussion, as I look forward to the Swans playing against the in form Hawthorns.

wyho

HSC
N/A
hey out of the topic, can the kangaroos make it in the top 8 by the seasons end? i asked cos i betted on them, please give some opinions. their form is hard to describe.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
i would say the kangas form to be inconsistent, but theyre just in the top 8, hanging by a thread.
they would probably need to either win more games in the 2nd half of the season, or increase their percentage

SyCoTiC

HSC
Swans in a scrappy win. Up the Bloods!

For some strange reason this match left me with a nasty taste in my mouth and it wasn't seeing Tadhg hobble off either. Hawks played brave but there were moments in the match which I think they were showing a dirty side to things or perhaps it was just another bad case of soft umpiring. Numerous calls during the game including ones that went the Swans' way as well as the Hawks were absolutely disgraceful, how soft the game has turned.

Is it just me or are the umpires back on the Hall-sniping bandwagon again and pinging him everytime he shows a bit of aggression in the contest? Defenders playing on him these days are just milking the free kicks or just double teaming him. They need to have a look at that. This push in the back rule is absolutely atrocious. There's no consistency whatsoever.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
i only watched the 2nd half, and although it was scrappy at times, it still provided some valuable entertainment.
although the hawks are playing good footy atm, they need to lift up their intensity if they want to go further in the finals.

well at least barry hall got a free kick today, but the most important thing is that the swans won, which gives them 6th place so far on percentage

is2SWaNz

HSC
It was a scrappy game, but boy oh boy did we need those 4 competition points? It wasn't a good win at all, and it wasn't one of the best and most comprehensive wins. Dare I say, Swans didn't even play at their best and still managed to win by 9. We should've won by 23 points but courtesy to the resilient Hawks they just kept on coming.

It wasn't really entertaining football either, but at times it was edge-of-the-seat sort of stuff. How good was Spida Everitt? :)

adders

HSC
To those that said i was an idiot (sycotic) for saying that the cats would make the preliminary final, look who's laughing now. The cats are the form side of the competition, they are flying right now. Their last 5 wins have been by a combined total of 337 points, the swans cant even score that many points in 5 games let alone win them by that margin.

If we beat adelaide today, which i think is the toughest trip for the boys, we will not only be coming first but will be the premiership favourites and will have answered every critic in the best way possible

CATS 07 PREMIERS

Gilbert1

Humoures Pun
HSC
Swans won, and that's all I'm caring about. Hawthorn played very well and they do look pretty darn good.

Don't think Geelong will win the premiership. They can also fall apart, its only half way. They are playing well but think Melbourne of 06 and 05.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
adelaide is slowly slipping away, and unless they can change their form quickly, their season is pretty much over.
im not gonna rule geelong out for the premiership yet, but when finals come along, they have to lift their game to 200%.
this round is a spilit round so we wont get to see the swans in action until the week after

wyho

HSC
N/A
consecutives:

losses

port adelaide = 5 consecutive losses
adelaide = 4 consecutive losses
st kilda = 5 consecutive losses
lol...

wins

geelong= 6 consecutive wins
dons= 3 consecutive wins

rising teams:
kangaroos= underratted team, 6 consecutive wins before crashing at subiaco, won the following week yesterday against st kilda.

hawthorn= although lost against swans, they have impressed with wins against wce, stk. buddie franklin has stepped up.

essendon= lucky shit, are 3 consec wins atm, but results were 8,1,1 respectively. they could of been 4-7 instead of 7-4, just luck. if they didnt recruit mal michael, they would be at 14th now. fletcher is also worth mentioning.

prediction

top 8:
geelong
wce
collingwood
sydney
kanga
hawks
essendon
bulldogs

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
dont rule adelaide out yet....they might scrape in the top 8

adders

HSC
wyho said:
prediction

top 8:
geelong
wce
collingwood
sydney
kanga
hawks
essendon
bulldogs
If that is how the season finishes we're guaranteed a spot in the preliminary final

btw cant see the cats losing any more than 2 games this season

Gilbert1

Humoures Pun
HSC
Looking at the rest of the Ctas fixtures, they really shouldn't loose many more games. Without a sudden drop of form at MOST they'll loose 3 more games

Mojoman

Interstellar Overdrive
HSC
N/A
mid season predictions

top 8

cats
eagles
hawks
pies
freo
swans
dogs
bombers

coleman: pavlich (a freo revival towards the latter half of the season on the back of pavlich kicking a shitload)

rising star: hard to pick, probably gibbs or pendlebury.

brownlow: it will be close between bartel and judd. bartel has been playing amazing footy, but unless judd gets suspended, i reckon he will get it.

grand final: cats vs eagles

premiership : who else?

spoon: has to be the tigers

other predictions: mooney wont get suspended all year, amazing everyone.
ben cousins returns and gets injured first game back.
richo to kick more behind than goals.

wyho

HSC
N/A
i reckon scotty lucas will win the coleman medal, his goal kicking average has been dominant. otherwise brad johnson.

battle of 4th-11th teams next round! after next round the ladder should really tell the tale.

ROUND 12

bombers (4th) vs port (10th)
pies (5th) vs swans (7th)
kangas (6th) vs adelaide (8th)
bulldogs (9th) vs freo (11th)

Last edited:

SyCoTiC

HSC
adders said:
To those that said i was an idiot (sycotic) for saying that the cats would make the preliminary final, look who's laughing now. The cats are the form side of the competition, they are flying right now. Their last 5 wins have been by a combined total of 337 points, the swans cant even score that many points in 5 games let alone win them by that margin.

If we beat adelaide today, which i think is the toughest trip for the boys, we will not only be coming first but will be the premiership favourites and will have answered every critic in the best way possible

CATS 07 PREMIERS
I'm still laughing.

You're still an idiot.

You've failed to mention 3/4 of the stuff I criticised you on and not only that, I partially agreed with you with the fact that the Cats are a quality team but they still lack that key forward out there that can generate and break open a game. Only the last 5 to 6 games of the season really tell you who is going to be the dominant sides in the finals and it's not up to there yet so until the Cats are still sitting comfortably in the top 4, I can't see them as a contender yet. Remember Port Adelaide of 02/03/04? Remember Melbourne of 05/06? They were all pretenders.

Try not to show up at the most convenient times for you and face the music - You had a jab at the Swans and the way they play, if you watched the Hawks game, the first half's flooding was all Hawks while Sydney tried breaking it open.

Pathetic.

In saying so, Cats will go far but they won't win, not enough finals experience IMO and the competition's top half of the bottom 8 from last year have improved significantly. You can win by a million points but the competition is only truly decided during the finals and not even then does it matter whether you blow a team out of the water or not. You're a Cats fan, you should know that better than anyone after getting knocked out in emphatic fashion against the Swans 2 years ago.

Last edited:

Gilbert1

Humoures Pun
HSC
SyCoTiC said:
Only the last 5 to 6 games of the season really tell you who is going to be the dominant sides in the finals and it's not up to there yet so until the Cats are still sitting comfortably in the top 4, I can't see them as a contender yet. Remember Port Adelaide of 02/03/04? Remember Melbourne of 05/06? They were all pretenders.
Thats the main reason why I never ever try and work out who will win the premiership before round18.

On another note: Swans 07 Premiers :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)