The Umat Results 2012. (1 Viewer)

lvella10

HSC
Also (to lvella10 and mike12345678), i find it funny how there is a serious convo going on at the same time as our more relaxed one.
I noticed that too! I feel sorta bad, but hopefully it'll calm them down a tad lol

simplyyme

HSC
AHHHHHHHHHH im scared now...
are you sure? that seems like a very odd time to release it.

this could be the best ever day for me or the worst day.i graduate on the 21st.

if i do well in the UMAT (80%+) i would be cheering and i go to school 5 hours later and collect my report and academic awards (i came first in every subject) :)

OR

if i fail UMAT (less than 70%) then i would have wasted my whole life studying (especially HSC year) and i cant get into MED straight out of high school despite come first in every subject :(

hoping for the best expecting the worst
You shouldn't be so panicked, there are other ways to get into medicine as well as other things to do instead of medicine. I was like you in year 12, I wanted to be a doctor since forever and was full set on doing medicine straight after high school but I didn't get a high enough ATAR or UMAT. So, I went to do a medical science degree instead. Now coming in on my last semester, looking back it was ridiculous to see how scared and worried I was.

You discover a lot about what you like and dislike at uni. I didn't know I would end up loving microbiology or hate anything to do with biochemistry. I'd still love to do medicine (which is why I sat UMAT this year), but I know there are always other things to do.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
You discover a lot about what you like and dislike at uni. I didn't know I would end up loving microbiology or hate anything to do with biochemistry. I'd still love to do medicine (which is why I sat UMAT this year), but I know there are always other things to do.
Did you sit GAMSAT?

simplyyme

HSC
Did you sit GAMSAT?
I didn't sit it this year, because I was overseas for most of my 3 month break at the end of the year and didn't get to study for it. But I definitely will be sitting it next year.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I didn't sit it this year, because I was overseas for most of my 3 month break at the end of the year and didn't get to study for it. But I definitely will be sitting it next year.
Why not last year?

It lasts for two years.

simplyyme

HSC
How was studying med science at UTS? Good facilities? Good people? What you liked and didn't like? Sorry for the questions but I'd love to know :)
Haha it's okay. The course is good, but it gets tedious/boring after awhile. I was at uni about 24-25 hours a week in first year, way more than any of my friends who weren't doing science, but you have less hours in 2nd and 3rd year. I found that last semester (1st semester of 3rd year) was the hardest, assignments/tests just kept piling on. I was pretty relaxed in first year. Assignments weren't overly difficult nor did you get too many, you would probably find first year pretty easy since you're doing chem and bio.

Facilities as in lab wise are pretty good. Pretty much every subject has really good lectures/labs except anatomy in first year and or molecular biology 1 (where the lecturer was HORRIBLE but labs were really good). Most of the teachers are very good at what they do and so are most of the tutors during labs. As for people, people at UTS are generally really nice I've found, you meet most of your friends in your labs.

Things I liked: some of it is pretty interesting, and find most of the labs actually pretty fun and they're very hands on.
Things I didn't like: Long hours, most subjects you do are 5-6 hours each and you do 4 a semester if you're a full time student and in 2nd/3rd year all your lectures are auto-allocated, meaning that you can't decide when/which lecture for that subject you want to attend unlike 1st year. Auto-allocation of lectures is very annoying if you want to enroll in electives, they are usually what causes clashes.

HSC
also having medsci background makes preclin medicine much much easier. I dare say that students who have done medsci and then med come out with a much stronger scientific understanding than straight mbbs. The lab skills you get are valuable too.

just remember kiddos, it isn't a race, there's no first place. If you keep at it long enough, you'll all get into medicine. So if you miss out undergrad, keep at it. Lifes long.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)