The "What are these units like?" thread for 2006 (1 Viewer)

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
boinkBOINK said:
supra
ive done bba250 and 216
their both pretty easy units
bba216 would be the bludgiest unit u could do
its like english class all over again
mostly writing like memo's comparitive reviews etc
lectures were useless but overall easy sub
you mean Yenta :p

Scoot

Champion!
HSC
Ok so I faily ACST miserably last semester, so I'm taking Marketing 101. Any info?

Seems ok, only one 3 hr lecture every week :S

HSC
N/A
MKTG101 is one of the easiest, bludgiest, funnest rote-learning subjects you'll ever do.

The bulk of it is simply memorising definitions. There's one written assessment (all the others are multiple choice) that's pretty easy, in my opinion. And it's actually fun... the Julian Marsh I think is the lecturer, and he's amusing. The Fabio wannabe is even funnier.

EDIT: To explain the 3 hours, two of these is the "Lecture" and the third is the "tute". You stay in the same place, but you will get 20 minute breaks every hour. Often you'll get a change of Lecturer/tutor, although Julian tends to do the tutes over the first few weeks. Often there will be different topics covered, eg you'll study a Case Study in the tute. Some of these case studies will actually be in the final exam so if you can, pay a bit of attention - if you can't be bothered, download and print and cram later ;)

There are these lecture notes you're supposed to download each week, and you do this fill-the-gaps kind of thing in the tute. I never really did this, particularly later in the semester when it became impossible to write everything down in time... and I'm a pretty fast writer! Still got a C as my final mark though.

The assessments are pretty easy to blitz. I think that's all the important stuff... :)

Last edited:

nessy_girl

HSC
Anyone here done educ 264 or 260? are there exams at the end? are they boring? also ahst221 and cul100, if anyone has done so. have heard cul100 is horrible :(

HSC
N/A
cul100 is another "spawn of the devil" type units, my non-MQ friends (who have often critiqued by cul100 assessments) call it "Society and Culture on crack". That being said I think the pass rate is still very high, but few people I know have got anything higher than a credit.

The unit itself is comprised of about two "definitions" (deconstruction, identity, gender etc) each week. It's something of a crash course for all their 100-level units, we assume, and it can be really boring and tedious sometimes.

Much like SOC180, people I know have tended to either "do well" or "just pass" with no real understanding of why (for that matter, of the people I know most tended to do well in one and absolutely suck at the other), and this can be really frustrating sometimes. The content itself really isn't that bad, and I remember quite enjoying some of the lectures (although some of the terms were just whacked... like, "surveillance"?) but the fear of thinking "oh my god, I think I'm going to fail and I don't know of anything that can help me right now!" sucks big-time, especially when you only have a vague idea of where you went wrong in the assessment and little/no idea how to make sure it doesn't happen next time.

The bright side is that there's no end of semester exam for this unit - just a final hand-in essay. I think it's reasonably easy to pass, but brace yourself for frustration.

Last edited:

nessy_girl

HSC
great... sounds like fun >< at least there's no exam though - what are the assessments like? and did you need many textbooks? thanks!

HSC
N/A
nessy_girl said:
great... sounds like fun >< at least there's no exam though - what are the assessments like? and did you need many textbooks? thanks!
There's one textbook which isn't too bad. But it's pretty hardcore - I really didn't get a lot of it. The readings in the Course Reader are much more relatable.

Assessments... your first one is a 500 or 800 word definition of a set term they'll give you. Remember they cover two definitions a week, so you'll go to the lecture, do some research and hand in your writing the week after.

Your second and final one will be essays, I think the first is 1500 and the second is 2500. You'll need to do decent research for these but they're not too bad - as mentioned previously the worst part about this course is they're very specific about what they want but few people know what that is, and they don't really explain it to you either.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
CUL100, get used to writing in a pompous, arrogant, self-serving, 'post-modern', incredibly 'technical' and all in all 'sophisticatoriously' (oh and be ready to make up words that don't exist since they do it all the time) way.

HSC
N/A
AsyLum said:
CUL100, get used to writing in a pompous, arrogant, self-serving, 'post-modern', incredibly 'technical' and all in all 'sophisticatoriously' (oh and be ready to make up words that don't exist since they do it all the time) way.
That's right!

Having done CUL100 in first semester, I'd almost forgotten exactly why I'm dreading all the other CUL units I have to do in my degree. I HATE the essays you have to write. They're so ungenuine and contrived (if I'm repeating myself I don't care) and plain yuck.

X

xeuyrawp

nessy_girl said:
Anyone here done educ 264 or 260? are there exams at the end? are they boring? also ahst221 and cul100, if anyone has done so. have heard cul100 is horrible :(
AHST221 was being taken by Dr Phillips. He's since left the uni because of some sickness, and I doubt he'll be back.

AHST102 was taken by him and was subsequently very disorganised by the substitute, and I heard the same about the 'Athenian Democracy' unit. I'd double check with the uni about who's taking the unt; get back to me with the substitute's name, and I'll tell you whether s/he's worthwhile.

If you feel the unit's being mismanaged, I'd bail out before census date. :)

nessy_girl

HSC
I did engl120 first semester and i did fairly well, but i dont really know why. it was harbus' first time as convenor so she read most of her notes instead of teaching, but she was well-organised. its a prerequisite for a lot of subjects, and you cover some really interesting texts, but it was just like hsc advanced english. but it is a good foundation subject - just be prepared for a lot of stuff you've never heard before and which you'll need to go find out what the definitions mean.

no textbook - just course notes ($30 in 2005) and you study one shakespeare - we did Love's Labour's Lost but it changes every year. but don't go out and buy that book - its about $15 and you only need it for one tutorial. just borrow it from the library.

assessments are a couple of essays and a 3 hour exam. none are too difficult.

X

xeuyrawp

marchetta said:
Hey, i was just wondering did anyone do either ENGL106 or ENGL120? If you did, how were they?
I did ENGL106 but dropped it. I wasn't sure about whether to do it, so I gave it a go. English really isn't for me, but if you enjoy the subject, ENGL106 would be quite enjoyable.

You watch 1 film and read 1 book per week; you should be ready not only to read the texts and watch the films, but analyse them as you read. I would recommend looking at the study guide (I can probably scan it for you) if you're interested, so you see what themes and texts you look at.

philly17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philomena_86
the nick u also did hist 114 didnt u.. I wonder if i kno who u are

Wow I have a stalker!

<3

lol u wish.. no I was just wondering if i knew you relax!

The Nick

McBain
HSC
Philomena_86 said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philomena_86
the nick u also did hist 114 didnt u.. I wonder if i kno who u are

Wow I have a stalker!

<3

lol u wish.. no I was just wondering if i knew you relax!
There was actually something soothing about looking around every corner to see who might be watching

nessy_girl

HSC
Ahst221 will not be taken by Dr Philips but by "Dr Jim O'Neil from Sydney University, now retired who is an expert on this subject."

HSC
N/A
ENGL120 is nastiness. It's certainly passable - somehow I managed a C - however you have to cover about 3 texts per week AND KNOW THEM FOR THE FINAL EXAM. You've got about 20 mins per text in tutes and that's hardly enough time to cover anything!!! Expect to have to do a fair bit of work on your own with this unit.

Lectures as a rough kind of rule will be incredibly boring for about half the canditure (myself included). Text studied have an immensly wide range - much like PHIL131, and it is extremely difficult to get any decent sort of "grip" on what you're studying as you have to go through it so fast. But meh.

X

xeuyrawp

nessy_girl said:
Ahst221 will not be taken by Dr Philips but by "Dr Jim O'Neil from Sydney University, now retired who is an expert on this subject."
Ah, that's awesome. I'm glad the university is stepping up to the plate by taking in new lecturers.

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
I've done cul101 but i have to go and do cul100 now. Having done 101 already, i am hoping it will make 100 more logical/sensical and wont do my head in as much. *hoping*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)